Ontario Parks Reservation on line

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by geogol, Mar 2, 2017.

1. geogol

geogol New Member

Please share tricks how to be first to book a good site. I press reserve at 7:00:01 am Never Succeeded, system goes down for about 5 sec and then it gets red. Also does anybody know after I reserved the site and my son in law wants to go - how can I Make sure they allow him to my reserved and paid site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

The Ontario Parks site is absolutely frustrating to deal with. I have had about a 35% success rate trying to obtain a specific site over the last 5 plus years in the popular parks. I usually end up with a site somewhere in the park but not the one I tried to book originally.
    I am up early, and logged on 15 to 20 minutes before the 7 a.m. booking window. A couple of weeks ago I had all the info entered, watched the time on the site window, and at a split second after it turned 7:00 I hit the reserve button.........only to watched the reservation window go blank for a split second and return back to the main page! Can you say peeved?!!!! (I mentioned it to a friend and he said I probably timed out while waiting for the 7:00 time.....I should have kept refreshing the page every few minutes?)

As far as your son-in-law is concerned, did you reserve the site for him or is he just joining you? You can add him as an occupant when you check in, or you can update/change the reservation info on the reservation page after you sign in.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Using the opp resi site can be a very frustrating experience.. It has gotten better over the past few years but not by much..

Here is what I do.. Since I work nights and even if I am off I am usually up, I make our reservations just after mid night 6 months (or 5, what ever the lead time is) to the day we want the reservation for.. This is specially needed if your trying for a site in one of the premier parks.. If your looking at "B" & "C" parks then you should have little problems booking closer to the 7am time..

Now what some people do and I don't agree with it and I know for a fact opp is looking at making changes to the resi system so it cannot be done as easily and with a minimum penalty (when they decide to implement the stricter rules and higher penalties I don't know) What you do say if you want August long weekend but the normal resi window opens in a weeks time.. Is you book the reservation to start in a week you can book and end on the date you want it to end and then pay the cancellation fees and cancel the unwanted dates after a month.. Its know as the 6 month tango since you can effectively book a site 6 months and 1 week prior to being able too.. Again, I don't condone this type of thing as it prevents others who do follow the rules for reservations from being able to book.. [:(!]

Last time I contacted (through a friend) an insider at opp, I was told opp is looking at changing things so that when you cancel your cancelling the whole reservation not just part of it.. And those cancelled sites cannot be reserved again until 7am the day after they were cancelled..

Out of curiosity what park and what dates and what sites? I could forward the info through my friend and see what comes back, may take a few days for an answer but I usually get something back..

Not sure if you have seen the posts for the 2017 Ontario Summer Rally (over the July long weekend at McRae Point) or not, but just did a quick look and there are still two reservable electric sites available in the North campground and several non electric sites in the South Campground if you are interested and able to join us..

We are also having a Kick Off to Summer Rally over the May long weekend at Inverhuron (there is a rally thread for this too) as well as a Thanksgiving Gathering at Oastler Lake over Thanksgiving weekend..

Links to all three Rallies..
    2017 Kick Off to Summer

2017 4th Annual Ontario Summer Rally

2017 3rd Annual Thanksgiving Gathering

4. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Info from Ontario Parks website:

Reservations are accepted up to 5 months in advance of your arrival date. This means you can call on February 1, 2015 to make a reservation for July 1, 2015.
    The Ontario Parks Internet Reservation Service is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The five month reservation window starts at 7:00 a.m. EST daily.

https://www.ontarioparks.com/reservations/rules

In the past, I have done exactly the same thing, and I was timed out too. Fortunately, I re-entered my request info and got my preferred site. I now enter all the required info and enter my preferred site before 7am, then hit reserve button just past 7am. Haven't had any problems since.

Good luck!

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ok 5 months.. in that example if you did the tango and didn't mind having to pay the cancelation fee you could book book a few days early to get a July 1st site since you can stay in a pp for up to 3 weeks (actual length of stay is mentioned on the website)..