Ontario Provincial Parks you've camped at

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by ALICAM, Sep 14, 2008.

1. ALICAM

ALICAM Member

Well, since I started this, a lot of people have shared where they have camped in Ontario...and so am I again...this year in May I'll be at Craigleith PP again (for a fishing charter in Meaford) and in July will be in Awenda PP for the first time

2. scrt95019

scrt95019 Member

Algonquin - Lake of Two Rivers
    Arrowhead
    Earl Rowe
    Sibbald Point
    Balsam Lake
    Killbear
    Emily

That's it for now..... [CP]

3. wantapup

wantapup New Member

We spend a lot of time at Balsam

I've camped at Sandbanks and Presqu'île but not in a long time.

I'd like to travel more with the pop up next year, but the multitude of issues we've experienced this year have me a little scared.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

What issues? perhaps start a new thread or two about the, sure many of us could help solve them..

Guess I can also now add Algonquin - Mew lake, Awenda, Inverhuron and Voyageur to the list..

5. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

My updated list;

Killarney
    French River
    Killbear
    Arrowhead
    Bon Echo
    Pinery
    Awenda
    6 Mile lake
    Bonnechere

6. elsiemon

elsiemon New Member

Updated...
    Arrowhead
    Awenda
    Algonquin
    Esker Lakes
    Grundy
    Killbear
    McGregor Point
    Pinery
    Port Burwell
    Restoule
    Silent Lake
    Charleston Lake New in 2015

7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I've only been camping for about 40 years, so you gotta give me a chance to get around.....

Bonnechere
    Long Point
    Pog Lake (Algonquin)
    Kakabeka Falls
    Emily

Well that list seems a little disappointing by comparison. We have spent time on a few private grounds and I guess that makes it seem like we do a lot more.

8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Tent camping

Presquile
    Silent Lake
    Ipperwash (no longer available)
    Algonquin - Two Rivers

Pup Camping

Pinery
    Balsam Lake
    Sibbald Point
    Bass Lake
    Elora Gorge
    Algonqion - Canisbay Lake
    MacGregor Point
    Arrowhead
    Awenda
    Emily

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It is a shame too, IIRC the Province had just spent a small $$ putting in new buildings and stuff... Also your dating yourself.. ;)

10. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I suppose I am dating myself.......hmmmmm. I had to think a little bit to remember the name of that park but eventually it came to me. [;)]

11. pawseyte

pawseyte Member

I knew I wasn't the only one. [LOL]

12. ALICAM

ALICAM Member

Here it is March 2016 and I have a couple of more to add to the list I started way back when...last summer we added Presquille' and Six Mile Lake. This coming July we are into Killarney...the list keeps getting longer for us...

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

What did you think of six mile ??

14. ALICAM

ALICAM Member

Six Mile is an all right park but not at the top of my list. Highway 400 is right beside it with all it's traffic and noise

15. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Hi All,

Has anyone stayed at Bass Lake recently? Any comments and reviews would be greatly appreciated. I'm heading out there in August but I am a bit weary of its close proximity to Toronto...I'm hoping to avoid a party central atmosphere [:D]

16. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Sorry, SlavCo....never been to Bass....although it is on our list.

I was wondering about Charleston Lake....anyone been there?

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

18. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Thanks Snow.

19. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

I just came back from a 4 day stay at Bass Lake followed by 3 days at Oastler Lake, here's a quick summary in case it helps anyone:

Bass Lake:

Overall a nice park with some good sized sites, we stayed on #10 and #11 and found both quite spacious. Only downfall was they are close to the main road so you could hear cars from time to time. The beach here is quite small, and with the close proximity to Toronto, it gets very crowded with day visitors. Park staff have been very friendly and helpful. One thing I did notice was that park rules are not being enforced here, there was a number of sites that had 15-20 people on them and 3-4 cars etc. not a big deal, but if you're looking for peace and quiet you might be in for a surprise.

Oastler Lake:

I have some mixed feelings about this one. Overall a nice place to stay, but... there is the train issue (I was aware of it before going so not a surprise), the train is within close proximity of the park and it is LOUD! During our stay, they seemed to run on a varying schedule, but I would say about 3-5 trains over a 24hr period. They do blow the horn, so if you're a light sleeper, this might be an issue for you. I actually found the train to be less annoying than the close proximity to our neighboring site and their kids just randomly hanging out on my site or going into my camper... but that's another issue.
    The nice thing about this park was the lake itself, they beach was great, uncrowded and quite big. The water was clean and shallow, making it great for kids - that in itself is a huge plus. They also had plenty of canoes, pedal boats, kayaks and paddle boards for rent. There is no playground for kids here however they did set up a tent with some games etc. by the park office which is a great idea.
    I stayed on site #5 , it was pretty tight! I did love the proximity to the lake however so a fair trade off. Some of the sites deeper in the park were larger and more private. Although I did enjoy the beach here, I think I will skip this one in the future.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

See Oastler is one of our go to parks even though we haven't been for a couple years.. we usually stay up in the lakeside sites like you (stayed on sites 2 (twice) 10, 12 and 20).. Next time we go we are going to try and get one of the sites further in the park and farther away from the trains..

It does have a great little beach, it is just too bad that the three pull thru sites right along the water are set up opposite to what they should be, yet are classed as premium sites due to being water front sites...

Thinking we may have to have a rally at Oastler one of these years... Either the Kick-Off to Summer or the Thanksgiving Gathering as it is a nice park, train noise aside..

Were you at Bass lake over the long weekend? might explain why some of the rules weren't being enforced as much, also I have seen that some parks during the day will lax the rules a bit to accommodate large camping groups like our groups at the Ontario Summer Rally over the years... Never had complaints during the day to having additional vehicles on sites nor to having 20 plus people on a site..

Thanks for your reviews, always nice to see what others think of the Parks..