Ontario Provincial Parks you've camped at

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by ALICAM, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Updated;
    Killarney
    French River
    Killbear
    Arrowhead
    Bon Echo
    Pinery
    Awenda
    6 Mile lake
    Bonnechere
    Halfway Lake

2. Stak

Stak New Member

In a tent in the past....
    Pinery Provincial Park (Dunes, Burley and Riverside), X 6 (annual vacation trip)
    Algonquin (Lake of Two Rivers)

This year in our new Pup...
    Pinery Provincial Park (Dunes)
    Algonquin (Rock Lake)....upcoming

Really disappointed with the whole reservation system, but with the Pup hopefully the camping season is extended now [;)]

3. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review of Bass and Oastler!

4. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Yes, it was over the August long weekend. I'm not typically a tight a$$ over things like that, but having a large crowd less than 30ft from my trailer making noise until late (past midnight) is a bit annoying. If it's a small gathering hanging out by campfire all night chatting away then no problem. But once you get a large number of people everyone wants to be heard, so by default you will be loud even if you try to be quiet :)

I'm heading up to Saugeen Bluffs conservation area (by lake Huron) Labour Day weekend, never been there before. I will post a review once I get back!

5. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

As promised... Here's a quick summary of Saugeen Bluffs Conservation Area.

It's located on Saugeen River, between Paisly and Port Elgin, Ontario. There is a good number of electric sites and also unserviced sites available, if I recall correctly about 200 in total. Serviced sites include electricity and water hook up, no sewer. They do have the portable tanks available (not sure if you need to pay to use them) if you're staying longer and need to empty your tanks. There is a small store available in the park which carries bare necessities or you can drive 10 minutes into town if needed. There is no cell phone service in the park, you need to drive out to the gate to get a signal. This is both a pain in the butt and also a blessing as it does allow you to fully unplug.

There is a good size playground for the kids and they have a small wading pool - maybe 15ft in diameter. There are horseshoes and some other activities, quite good to keep the kids busy.

Unfortunately, if you're looking to swim, you will be disappointed. Although the river is great for canoeing or kayaking, it is very rocky and quite shallow making anything beyond dipping your feet in impossible. If you want beach and swimming then Port Elgin on lake Huron is about 15-20min away.

Personally, I found the sites a little too cramped and close together, and with that many people come foot and car traffic, it just gets busy, too busy for my liking. I like to go camping to get away from people, this trip felt more like a tailgate party :) But to each their own.
    The unserviced sites were much more private and quiet as they're tucked away in more treed area.

Although it was not horrible, it was not great either, I don't think I will be returning here anytime soon.

I have one more trip planned for this year to Killbear PP, now that I am very excited about! [8D]

6. Jonnieb

Jonnieb New Member

Algonquin (Rock Lake, Two Rivers, Pog, Kearney, Canisbay, Tea, Mew), Sandbanks, Grundy, Killbear, Arrowhead, Balsam,

7. Garland

Garland New Member

Here is my list, along with highlights, good or bad.
    Agonquin - Achray, mud lake. Scouting camp, late June, NO TENTS! Mosquito hell.
    Bon Echo - loved the cliffs.
    Lake St. Peter - Small, tranquil.
    Murphy's Point - A field covered in fireflies.
    Bonnechere - meh
    Charleston Lake - gorgeous in September.
    Driftwood - Just this weekend. Nice.

8. Limmer

Limmer Member

We started camping about 6 years ago so our list is smallish but really looking forward to expanding it with our PUP!

Six Mile Lake (several times, this was our first)
    Silent Lake
    Sibbald Point
    Awenda (many times, our fav so far)
    Arrowhead (twice)

Adding this year:
    Bon Echo
    Emily
    Killbear

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

10. algonquingirl

algonquingirl Active Member

I grew up camping with my parents. Here's my list so far:

Algonquin (over 30 years of car camping - Canisbay & Pog Lake, tent camping - Canisbay & Pog Lake and back country camping)
    Arrowhead
    Bon Echo
    Sandbanks
    Turkey Point
    Chutes
    McGregor Point
    The Pinery

This is such a small list [EEK]! Gotta work on that with my new trailer :)

11. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

We went to Agawa PP on Lake Superior this summer.

The setting is incredible. In the unserviced area there are sites right on the beach. They are incredible and worth getting up early to book. Across the road all the sites have water views. Also great sites. The back to rows are RIGHT beside the highway.

There are serviced sites with water views but they are not big sites.

It's worth the drive, the park is huge and there are tons of amazing hikes.

The entire staff is brought in for the summer so the vibe is very different, as long as you are not noisy they don't care how many people are on the site, how many vehicles or how many tents. No cell service, at least half the campers had American plates.

12. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Hmm I am sure I will forget some
    With my kids:
    Pinery, Awenda, Earl Rowe, Sleeping Giant, Lake Superior. I know there were two more but I can't remember which ones. I can picture the campsites but can't remember where we were (it was in the early years of my twins - memory is very foggy).
    This summer we have plans to do Killbear, Algonquin, Wheatley, Long Point and something towards Kingston - maybe Sandbanks or Presqui'l

As a kid I camped a lot at Killbear and I remember doing Craigleith as well. My Dad was a member of NCHA and so we camped a lot but it was mostly in private or municipal campgrounds or in fields - they were a party group. I much prefer provincial parks now. We camped at Turkey Point when I was a teen.

On my wish list is to go back to Sleeping Giant and spend some more time there, including hiking the Ouimet Canyon. Also on the wishlist: MacGregor, Bon Echo, Kilarney and a back country canoe trip (we've never been as a family although my kids all have)

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We are planning to hold our Thanksgiving Gathering rally at Canis Bay in Algonquin park this year..

14. Bearcat17

Bearcat17 New Member

Algonquin - (Pog Lake, Whitefish, Mew Lake), Arrowhead, Balsam Lake, Bon Echo, Charleston, Darlington, Earl Rowe, Emily, MacGregor Point, Pinery, Sauble, Sharbot Lake, Rideau, Presquile, Sandbanks, Sibbald Point, McRae Point, and Kilbear although that's reaching way back in my forty years of camping.

Heading Stateside this summer to Buck Pond in the Adirondacks with the new (used) Quicksilver 10.0

Hope to add Fitzroy to the list too this year.

15. pop-it-like-its-hot

pop-it-like-its-hot New Member

So far pretty much just Darlington PP for me as a kid we camped at a lot of KOA's. My wife has been to many other PP's but we like Darlington because it is 5 minutes away from home and can enjoy the most time there.

Now that we have just bought a PUP we are going to try and get around to many more parks.

16. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The only one I've stayed at is Inverhuron. It was quite enjoyable.

A few years back, I was looking at trying the Pinery, but I read reviews that said it was a party camp. Anyone stayed there recently that can confirm or deny that?

17. BigAl

BigAl Member

Ojibway back in the 90s - did a couple fishing trips around Sioux Lookout and we'd set up base camp at Ojibway. Tents and a truck camper. The campground was nice from what I remember - good-sized sites, not too crowded, and the bugs weren't bad.

18. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

We've stayed at the Pinery but not over the last few years. We didn't have any issues when we were there and we were camping in group camping on a long weekend for one of those trips.
    It's a beautiful park - definitely a destination one - so party-ers are always a possibility but I wouldn't let that stop us from a visit.

eoleson1 likes this.
  19. liz.s

liz.s New Member

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster :)

Can't remember all that we went to as kids, but I remember, Kettle Lakes and Lake St. Peter and Algonquin

Parks I've been to as a grown up:

Fairbanks (twice)
    Restoule - lots of deer
    Nagagamesis - very long drive, worth every km!
    Lake St Peter - small but nice
    Grundy - the trip that drove us to buy a tent trailer, 2 small kids + rain + buggy site + deflated air mattress = very cranky mommy
    Bonnechere - my favourite so far
    Valens Conservation Area - close to home

ccptbo likes this.
  20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Guess I can add Restoule PP, Martin River PP and Mikisew PP to my list..