Ontario Provincial Parks

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by ccptbo, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Hey all,

We have had a great time this time with our "NTU" pup purchased in May of this year.

Our first weekend was spent at a KOA for the July Canada Day long weekend; we have since done 6 other trips, all to provincial parks.
    Emily Provincial Park is always nice, because it's close to home......the water, although chilly at times, is roped off for swimming and the beach very sandy for children. We have always enjoyed our time there and heading back for this Labour Day long weekend.

Balsam Lake is always nice, but very busy. We went in July after some major storms; we set up just fine, plugger 'er in and then the power went after 2 hours. So we were powerless the rest of the weekend. The park credited us back our first night in full and the 2nd night, if we chose to stay, we only had to pay for our site as "non-electrical". Since we were camping with 11 other families, we all decided to stay. They also credited us with 2 bags of ice free, per site, per day, which was more than enough.

Silent Lake was at the beginning of August and we spent an incredible 5 days there. We had a double site with my sister and BIL and had a wonderful time with all the kids. They have some great hiking trails and the beach was stunning. I would go back there in a heartbeat. We only had to use the furnace one night as it got down to 7 degrees one night. We would have been fine but I wanted it on to take the chill out of the air for the kids.

After Emily Park this coming weekend, our last trip will be to Ferris Provincial Park at the end of September. There is no beach there but the hiking trails are supposed to be quite good. The kids are looking forward to the Suspension Bridge!

All in all, we have had a great summer with our PUP and we are so happy with what we bought. Some of our friends have 30-32' big rigs and it's great that they are happy with what they have. I love our PUP and so happy that we made some great memories with the kids. It's a summer they won't forget!

Melissa and crew

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sounds like a blast ..

Your not camping for Thanksgiving ??

3. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Hey Snow,

We had thoughts about it, but not sure the best PP to do that. Are most still open then?

Melissa

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Depends on where you want to go.. most Northern Parks are closed, most of these close around Labour Day as the "work force" returns to college/university ... Most of the South/Central Parks are still open until the end of October...

5. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We are very close to Emily, Ferris, fairly close to Silent Lake and Balsam Lake. I'll check out one of those and see what is available.

Thanks Snow

6. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

I live in Campbellford! Maybe we should start an Eastern Ontario Rally! LOL!

7. va3rbz

va3rbz New Member

We just booked Presquile for Thanksgiving weekend. I believe they close right after that.

8. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Why not?? lol

We are booked at Ferris in September. Looking forward to all the colours! Leaves are just starting to change colour over here in Lakefield.

Melissa

9. bmcilravey

bmcilravey Lovin' the pup!

Hahahamilton: we'd be I for that. We are in Waterloo area but for camping we go everywhere within about 7 hrs. This year we did Rockwood (GRCA - review posted ). For PP we did , Long-point, Six Mile Lake, sandbanks, Algonquin (two rivers) and on tap for Kilbear End of Sep. we would love a Rally!

@ccptbo: thanks for the insight on Silent Lake. It's on our radar for next year and glad to see the great feedback. Any insight on good sites there?

If anyone needs insight on the cc listed above, let me know.

10. bmcilravey

@Snow: where are yup doing your thanksgiving camping (out of curiosity ...not looking for free turkey :).

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Haven't decided yet... right now it's a toss up between Grundy or Restoule ..All depends on if the MIL thinks she would "visit" us for a dinner or not.. If she will, then it's a Northern Park, if she won't then we'll look for something else like Craigleith, MacGregor, Pinery ... Not to worried as the DW has the Friday off, so we'll pull DS2 out of school that day and try to snag a non ressie site if need be...

12. bmcilravey

I have heard good things about McGregor point. Anyone been there?

13. Kawartha-Camper

Kawartha-Camper New Member

Most parks close thanksgiving day weekend.

but if u wanna try a great park checkout the Pinery provincial park- best beach in Ontario

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We were at Mac back in June ... managed to snag a non-reservable site, excellent park, just make sure you have about 80ft of power cord as some of the runs are 70ft plus...

We snagged a site today at Canbisbay for Thanksgiving. DW has the Friday off, so we'll be leaving early to beat the traffic up the 400... Also booked us a site at Bronte Creek for their Halloween Weekend part deux at the end of October...

15. Hawks

Hawks Member

Thanksgiving is the last week-end that we camp in the season. We're at Turkey Point PP (along Lake Erie) that week-end with a couple of other families. We do deep fried turkey and all the fixings and the campground does Halloween that week-end too. People decorate their sites and the kids trick or treat around the campgroup. It's a great week-end :)

16. br00n0

br00n0 New Member

Same thing on this side of the provicial border. Many CG's close after Thanksgiving weekend.

We have our site reserved in a private CG in the Laurentians.

We are planning a visit in an Ontario Provincial Park next summer...

Let's enjoy our last and ultimate camping weekend!

B.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We have decided and reserved a site at Canisbay in Algonquin Park for Thanksgiving... After that we have also reserved a site at Bronte Creek P.P for their Campers Halloween II ,, we cannot do the first campers Halloween, as I am of camping at a "guy's weekend" then...

18. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Woohoo , i love guys weekend . Actually i love all camping but guys weekend is fun , usually a little too much to drink , playing cards , croquet throughout the campsites with beer in hand . ahhhhhh

19. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I've done Canisbay for Thanksgiving a few years back. Good time for leaves, though depending on the season you might find it too late for the red maple "peak". No bugs, but there were active bears and racoons. Good time for hiking, though there are tour buses full of leaf peepers, so timing is everything.

20. Kawartha-Camper

Kawartha-Camper New Member

Wow cambellford and Lakefield , I'm in Douro, there should be a rally