Ontario West - Earl Rowe Rally and Reservation Info

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by lpm, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lpm

lpm EH?

which location?

2. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

Re: When you say Ontario (Western) you mean....

If your asking in reference to the split for the portal rallies, we arbitrarily picked highway 400/404 as the dividing line. So western in this case would be west of the 400.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Adam is correct, due to the geographical locations of the members in Ontario we were having a hard time trying to find a CG location that would allow the most members to join in without any of them needing to drive 4 hours plus for a weekend campout.

After some open discussions it was decided that highway 400 or the 404 would be used for the split, this by no way meens that you must attend the rally closest to you, if you live East of the 400 and want to attend the Western rally you are more then welcome to and vice versa.

On another note I have passed along the CG's and some info to JoeCampers for him to work his magic (why do I see Bullwinkle J Moose saying " Watch me pull a rabbit outta ma hat"???) As more details become available they will be posted in the appropriate boards. And yes once most of the details have been worked out Ontario members will once again be harrased by FullCircle and Myself when we send that info out.

4. lpm

lpm EH?

Only thing is I'm north (Sudbury). Which parks would be closer?

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ahhh I see. I passed along the two cg's were going to use for the rallies to JoeCamper so he can work his magic. I was hoping he would have posted the names for them by now, I would and don't have a problem doing so, I just don't want to step on anyone's toes.

I'll pm the 2 cg's to youthat way you can decide, but off hand I think the Western one will be closer.

6. Csea

Csea New Member

Could be worse...... when i saw that quote i thought of "Look ma no hands" [LOL]
    Lack of camping is getting to me.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

No comment.. [:D]

8. JoeCamper

JoeCamper Eastern, Pennsylvania

Ontario West - Earl Rowe Rally and Reservation Info

[CAN] Earl Rowe Provincial Park [USA]
    June 18-27, 2010 (Father's Day 6/20)
    10 Days Over Two Weekends. You can come the first weekend and stay late,
    come early for the second weekend or stay for the whole week.
    There is so much to do... or so little.

Rally Coordinators - JamesRL and Snow

Street Address: 7th Concession North, Adjala/Tosorontio, Box 872, Alliston, Ontario, L9R 1W1
    Campground Information: Click Here: OntarioParks/Earl
    Reservations: YOU CAN'T BOOK UNTIL Feb 18 2010 1-888-ONT-PARK (North America)
    - Click Here: http://reservations.ontarioparks.com/en/

9. JoeCamper

JoeCamper Eastern, Pennsylvania

Re: Ontario West - Earl Rowe Rally and Reservation Info

Site Information: Riverside Campground - Heydon Way Loop (Sites 70-125)
    [​IMG]

10. puptart

puptart Camp Director

Just wondering how many so far are contemplating on going to this...what are the dates? This would be my first and I am already excited :)

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

There is 2 locations being planned for June 18th to th 27th.
    The Western location info is here http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=32599.0
    and the infor for the Eastern Rally is here http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=32596.0

I hope we get good turn outs at both locations.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just a reminder to everyone, You can now book your sites for the rally. Book early to get the site you want.

Some of you will have received a reminder and others will be getting it soon (got busy a couple weekends).

13. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

Is this Western Rally still alive? I haven't seen much activity.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Re: Ontario West - Earl Rowe Rally and Reservation Info

OK Here is the long awaited information on and about the Earl Rowe Rally set for June 18-27,2010.

A little history on Alliston, Ontario:

In early November, 1847 William Fletcher and his son erected a log shanty, the first building in Alliston. During the summer of 1848 the Fletcher family erected a saw mill and established the first industry of the Town, and in 1853 built a grist mill.
    By 1874 the population had increased to such an extent that approval was given to incorporate the hamlet of Alliston into a village. The first council took charge in January, 1875 with Reeve George Fletcher, son of the pioneer, presiding.
    In 1878, Alliston received it's first train running on the Hamilton and North Western Railway.
    In 1891 the Village of Alliston became the Town of Alliston with John Steward as Mayor.
    May 8th, 1891 there was disastrous fire which destroyed almost all of the business section and many of the residences, a total of about 30 acres. The following year arrangements were made to install the water works.
    In 1919 Victoria Street was paved from Paris Street to the C.P.R. tracks. On February 14, 1924 Dr. Fredrick Banting, later Sir Fredrick Banting, following his discovery of insulin, opened the Memorial Library. Dr. Banting attended the Alliston Schools.

Earl Rowe Provincial Park:

Earl Rowe Provincial Park is located in the scenic river valley of the Boyne River. The fertile lands and forest that make up the park were left behind thousands of years ago by glacial Lake Algonquin. The Boyne River, which winds itÂ’s way through the park on its way to Georgian bay is also a remnant of this ancient lake. The original park, a four hectare picnic area was bequeathed to the province in 1957 by the Honourable Earl Rowe, former Lieutenant Governor of Ontario. Over the years the park has expanded to 312 hectares. The park was used by the Huron Indians as important hunting and fishing grounds

Area attractions:

South Simcoe Pioneer Museum
    Business Hours:
    Wed - Fri: 10:00am - 3:30pm
    Sat & Sun: 11:00am - 4:30 pm
    Address: PO Box 910, Wellington Street East, Alliston.

Base Borden Military Museum:

The Base Borden Military Museum is one of Canada's largest Military Museums. The Museum holds a significant collection of WWI, WWII and post war armoured vehicles, trucks, and aircraft. The Museum tells the story of Camp Borden and the various Schools, Corps and Branches that have their heritage vested at Base Borden. The museum complex consists of several buildings and a memorial park. The main Museum building is a renovated WWII Armoured Corps' Officers' Mess. (705) 423-3531

http://www.borden.forces.gc.ca/998/89/46/53-eng.asp

South Simcoe Railway's historic steam train:

"All Aboard" for an exciting journey through the scenic Beeton Creek valley aboard South Simcoe Railway's historic steam train. You'll travel in restored 1920's coaches over the rails of a century-old branchline. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the steam train as you travel through the rolling countryside. The return trip from Tottenham to Beeton takes just under an hour, highlighted by the Conductor's friendly and informative commentary. (905) 936-5815

http://www.southsimcoerailway.ca/rides.htm

Shopping:

Besides the many small country type stores and shops Alliston also offers:

-Shoppers Drug Mart
    -Giant Tiger
    -Zellers
    -Canadian Tire
    -Carleton Cards
    -Sobeys
    -Blockbuster Video
    -Dollerama
    -Stedmans
    -Sears
    -Zehrs

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Earl Rowe P.P. Rally Info

Ok I finally got around to posting some new info about the rally.

As of this morning there are still 30 sites available in the "prefered" loop and lots available in the rest of the park.

I hope to send out email reminders to everyone in the next week or so.

Too all the new resent members (I know there are quite a few) Please check out all the info posted.

16. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

From my perspective in Rainy River, Ont. you folks are in Southern or Eastern Ontario... not Western! We are as far west as you can get in Ontario. To our immediate south and west is Minnesota... 40 minutes through MN and we are in Manitoba!

17. Glenn B.

Glenn B. New Member

Re: Earl Rowe P.P. Rally Info

We Booked our site yesterday... Site 91 on the weekend of the 18th......See everyone there!!!

Glenn B.

18. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Ok Ken1967, you are right, technically speaking it should be South Western Ontario and South Eastern Ontario. You are in North Western Ontario and its a long drive to get there. I have lived in Northern Ontario and distances can be great. Maybe someone can get together a Northern Ontario rally for you Northern folks.
    See you soon, and happy campping.
    P.S. See map on this website for a picture explanation of this. Ontario Areas

19. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I'm afraid to tell you, I'm having some issues with my TV, and money is a bit tight, so I'm not going to risk towing and I will have to miss the rally.

James

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Still Sites Available.

Alright folks, this is it.. Crunch time.. There are still sites available for anyone who would like to attend. I sent out a reminder last week, not sure if anyone got it or not as I was having pc problems. If you are going to attend and have made a resevation, please let me know the arrival/departure dates as well as the site number, so I can let other attending members know where and who to look for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.