OOH just barely lucked out!

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by campfire Joe, Jul 13, 2019.

1. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Just bought some 3" memory foam. And just barely got the king side closed up. Had to extend my latches almost all the way to the end of threads. we had 1 1/2" on that end and on the queen end we had 3" foam on it. I think with extra canvas that the king end has it made it tougher to compress down. Go back out tomorrow and see if i can recover some of my latch threads after all the air is out. The 3" foam seems like it will make a big difference for me and the Wife's old bones.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Congrats! I use two 1-1/2 inch pads on all my beds. It's thick enough that you get the cushioning benefit of the pad(s) but cheaper than buying one 3 inch pad.

campfire Joe likes this.
  3. campfire Joe

Went out today and reclaimed some of my latch threads. i guess most of the air got pressed out. Probably have to open the latches each time we pack up from now on, or spend more time packing the canvas better. Just glad we can at least get it closed up.:)

4. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan New Member

Campfire Joe, we put in 3” memory foam in both of our bunk ends this spring and have put it up and down multiple time through prep, vacation, unpacking. It is definitely a tight fit (we have a slide out, so that also increases the canvas bulk). Our most important lesson is to take extra time “folding” in the canvas. Using a broom has taken on extra importance in pushing the canvas in, but also in sorting the folds. Another thing we learned was that if we have time to let the top lie on the pile for a while as we finish cleaning camp, hooking up, etc., it will often squeeze the foam down a bit making it easier to clamp. We also moved the foam to below the mattress instead of on top. The memory foam was grabbing the canvas and rolling up as we pushed in the canvas. Some folks solve that just by leaving a sheet on, but we prefer sleeping on the mattress. To keep from letting out my clamps, I stand on the bumper or frame, press down on the corner with one hand, pull up the clamp with the other hand. That’s working for us.

campfire Joe likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The foam should collapse down as the air is expelled. I used to unscrew the clamps and wait, then after awhile the mattress would collapse I could go ahead and adjust the clamps until everything was good and tight

6. campfire Joe

Tom, i usually have my wife help with the packing up, but she is visiting her sisters in AZ. She is a better packer of canvas than me. So when the memory foam arrived i open the camper and put it in and cut it down to size. It was the right width, but was maybe 6" too long. We also have a dinette slide out. So more canvas to deal with. Yes i did notice that the memory foam does tend to roll up when sliding in the bunk end. My old memory foam on the Queen is old and doesn't do this. May take your suggestion and put the mattress on top of it. Thought about doing that, but thought it might diminish the soft feeling of the foam. Anyway as you and nineoaks suggested just waiting a bit for things to settle down makes for easier buckling up the clamps. When she helps i usually push down on the corners while she buckles. Just kicking back on this new foam i can see where it will be a lot more old bones friendly. The 1 1/2" foam was okay but we after a few nights would end up sleeping on the 3" foam on the Queen. Anyway can't wait to try it out.