OOOH Fellow Geocachers!

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by obnoxiousblue, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Latonka_Johnstons

Latonka_Johnstons New Member

My family and the family of a close friend have teamed up to form "9fishes" on geocaching.com We started Geocaching back in June or July but have known about it for a while. We are all hooked...especially the adults! Since we just got our new-2-us pup we are excited that we will be taking it for an adults only maiden voyage to Potter Co, PA for a 4 county 24 cache mini marathon. We are trying to complete the Allegheny Geotrail before the end of the year and these are our last four counties (www.AlleghenyGeoTrail.com). Next stop, New York Finger Lakes for the Sojourner Geocoin! Like I said, we're addicted!

Latonka_Johnstons

[TV] 2005 Honda Pilot
    [PU] 1996 Jayco 1207DD

2. NYcamper

NYcamper It is what it is.

What GPS units do you recommend? I am interested in starting this and want to get a good one for a family xmas present.

3. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

I guess this is a modern version following a trail by the clues etc, sounds really interesting & enjoyable & a great tool for learning different things. I may even look up GPS units in the UK

4. stefbauer

stefbauer New Member

As with most things in life... depends on how much you want to spend....
    I purchased the geomate Jr for the kids and honeslty can not say enough good things about it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Apisphere-Geomate-Handheld-GPS-Geocacher/dp/B002MZZX9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258986426&sr=8-1

Also check out http://www.geocaching.com/ there are good resources/reviews there about several units.

5. NYcamper

NYcamper It is what it is.

Thanks for the info, the link had a great little video of how the kids use it. Thanks. I will pass the info onto DH. He is the gadget shopping guy! Dont want to take away any of the joy!