Opening door while PUP collapsed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Vapour Trails, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Vapour Trails

Vapour Trails New Member

On my Coachmen Clipper I am able to open the door when the roof is fully down. Is this normal? The roof latches are shortened as much as possible and fastened down tightly. I don't think I could get the roof any lower. There is a gap at the top of the door, allowing it to open. At first I thought this was normal, and I liked being able to load items for a trip without opening the roof. Now I am not so sure, I don't want moisture or bugs entering.

2. gec66

gec66 Active Member

It all depends on the particular design of your pup. On my Jayco Eagle 10 I could open and close the door with the roof latched down, but on my Bayside I have to have the roof cranked up an inch.

3. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

On my Coleman Sedona, I rebuilt the door due to rot. When I reattached it, the door opened when the roof was down. I adjusted it so I have to raise the roof a little bit. I didn't want to depend on that one metal peg to keep the door shut while going down the road.

4. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

cant open my door when locked down, i need a smidge [ALPU]

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My Jayco Eagle 8 has a nice piece of rigid weatherstripping on top of the door that seats against the bottom of the roof lid. I can open the door and close it with the roof down, and it's fairly waterproof.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Some PUPs are made in a way that allows you to open the door with the roof down and others are not. My Fleetwood Yuma would not allow me to open the door when the roof was down.

7. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

As was mentioned, all depends on the design. Our Rockwood and Starcraft did allow for that, but the Fleetwood and Coleman that we had did not. If it has weatherstripping, and "almost" opens, be careful when opening, because you may tear the weatherstripping. I did this on our Rockwood, and was just more careful after that.

8. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

Mine will open when the roof is down, makes it nice to load a few things in it while still in the garage the night before we leave

9. CappysWife

CappysWife New Member

I have a '91 NTU Coachmen Clipper and we can open the door when the roof in down and locked. Nice for the oops things we forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We aren't so lucky in that respect! We have a strong piece of weather stripping across the top of the door and it prevents us from opening and closing while it's latched down.

Doesn't take much to unlatch and raise an inch or two!

11. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

For all those who can't open the door with the roof down (i am one of those), where do you store the crank handle if not inside the camper?

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I can store ours in my spare tires if I want. [​IMG]
    and if you are in the habit of loosing things paint it a bright color.

13. stlouielady

stlouielady Member

I have a small storage door under the main door where the crank stays.

14. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

My spare tire cover does not open as yours does and I don't have any storage access doors unfortunately. Any other ideas?

15. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Strap it to something on the trailer tongue.

16. davej

davej New Member

I keep a 'setup' bag in our TV. It has the crank, a set of folding wheel chocks, a 10ft fresh water hose for filling the holding tank before proceeding to the site, the pad I use beneath the tongue jack, and a set of kneepads. There's also a 30A to 20A adapter, and my trailer ball cover. Everything else for setting up is stored just inside the pup door. The setup bag contains the things I use to start the setup, until the point that I need to open the pup for the BAL, stabilizers pads, etc.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Tapatalk