Opinions needed—badly!

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by PucknNana, Oct 30, 2019.

1. PucknNana

PucknNana New Member

Because of unrelenting aging, we had to sell our beloved & well-traveled Class C Beast. We are now in the market for a PU. We are feeling our ages and so we are looking at new or last years models of Rockwood high sides, JAYCO sports & Coachman. Requirements include a slide out diner and inside toilet. We have looked at the Rockwoods but feel we need more input. All I can base my judgement upon is what I have found in research which seems to be mostly sales pitches. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I have a 2017 Coachman with a bathroom but no slide out. It is a solid popup with 5k miles on it so far. As expected I have had lots of little issues, but nothing major.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Take with a grain of salt, as all manufacturers suffer from quality control issues, but I had a ‘14 Jayco. It was not well built.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We no longer have a popup, but now have a 8 foot wide by 17 foot hybrid. No slide but plenty of interior space. A toilet with a sink, shower and a full door. And a large refrigerator. A setup like this may be easier than a popup.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

From what I've seen the build quality of most rvs range between "having a bad day" to "built by a drunken monkey"
    Sometimes it's little things like screws that are not in right and sloppy wiring, sometimes the plumbing isn't properly connected.
    I'm with Raycfe, a pop up isn't really any less work.
    If you plan to use the camper frequently, and are going to do multi day trips where you move every day or two I'd look at a small travel trailer or hybrid
    Even with the (loud) power lift on our roof I wouldn't want to do a 5-7 day trip where I had to break down and move every day.
    Doing that with a small TT would certainly be a lot easier and faster, without the worry of folding up the camper with damp canvas.

Camper054 likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Well said! [LOL]

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

I'm 76 now and wish I had purchased an A frame camper instead of my Jayco. I have electric lift to help but setup still take at least 30 minutes. Going to put the popup up for sale as soon as the title is clear.

8. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

I have a 2017 hw296 which is their biggest highwall. Like others have said, there are always little irritating quality issues, but you probably encountered that in your last camper. I find the components to be of good quality. It's the assembly where all the little issues can arise. We love our highwall. It's got everything. But bear in mind the highways are heavy and can't be pushed around by hand like the old small popups i used to own. When I look through the rearview mirror, I see camper instead of the road. My old smaller popups I could see right over the top. Ours has the shower and bathroom but we don't use it. It really is a nice camper. Just do your research before you buy. Maybe go to a camper show if they have one near you.

9. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

Whatever you purchase, if you buy new, immediately take it on a LONG shakedown trip with multiple put-ups and take downs, rough roads, and rain. The trip should terminate at the factory to get all of the stuff fixed under warranty that you found wrong.

Also recognize that your new hobby is not camping; it’s fixing the camper. ;) Camping is the reward.

I would encourage you to borrow one for a few days camping. We like ours (includes shower/toilet & slide out), but we’ve lent it to friends who thought they wanted one. Neither went on to purchase one. The one family who did go on to purchase, bought a travel trailer.

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If you're getting OLD, switching to a popup might not be the right choice. They do take some work to set up and you can't pop in for lunch or to pee while you're on the road. (None of these have anything to do with aging, now that I think about it, but then I'm already old too.)

I think only Rockwood (and twin Flagstaff) still make highwalls but maybe I'm wrong.

11. WVhillbilly

I think our ultimate rig will be a class B.
    It's what I'd like to buy now.
    Big enough to sleep in, small enough to park anywhere and not horrible on fuel.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I see these around my neighborhood and I looked at them at an RV show but the so called bed looks wicked uncomfortable and the price was astronomical, way more than the class C I was looking at. I agree though they fit in any parking space, my HOA doesn’t realize it’s not just a car and allows it to sit. However the biggest thing I see with it, is just like a class c you have to disconnect from your site if you ever want to go somewhere. I’m pretty sure it’s too small to tow a car trailer too. If your the type to just stay at camp that would be a petty thing. However it’s the price I can’t get around in my head. If I can get a class C for half the price of the class B it’s not justifiable in my opinion.

13. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

So many on point posts here. I have had so many random screws fall out that I keep a tool box with various size screws with me.

Last June I did a 9 night trip, 4 locations with no issues it was amazing. Then in Aug I did a 6 night trip with two home Depot trips for screws and some replacement plumbing connections. Plumbing was my fault as I replaced some parts in an earlier trip with plastic fittings which broke. Now it's all brass fittings so I should be ok.

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would go with a small TT. The room and easy make it better for age. Hate to say it but its true. How many will be going with you is probably the question to ask , then go from there. Look at everything. You never know.

15. PucknNana

PucknNana New Member

So many thoughtful and very helpful replies! Thank you. We continue to look and appreciate as much input as we can get. Stay tuned. . .

16. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Disconnecting from your site for daytrips is ideal!

Okay, I never connect because we don't really have hookups in the BLM or NFS places we go, but I love having my fridge and potty and all my junk there when I get back from a trail. Can't do that with my popup trailer, but it's one of many reasons I prefer my popup truck camper. A class B of course is pretty similar. Yeah, I COULD leave my truck camper back at the campground, but why would I want to??

(On the other hand, a popup trailer is so spacious!)

17. WVhillbilly

I can get the one I want for $108k (ish)
    It will tow 2500lbs, I have no interest in towing a car. At most a small motorcycle trailer or scooter on a hitch rack.
    Every RV bed I've seen sucked, they all have cheap mattresses on them.
    I'm willing to trade legroom and towing capacity for ease of travel and being able to fit so many places that a bigger rig won't.
    A buddy has a single rear wheel Sprinter that he drives all over, gets 16mpg or better and has been known to park overnight just about anywhere.
    Most folks don't even realize it's an RV.
    We sat in this one at the RV show this winter, retail $163k but $108K show price.
    I can find 2 year old models for less than $90K, I could have gotten a Ford chassis Class C for $73K but the more I look at them the less I want to deal with something that size.

18. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

@PucknNana if you are able to find one perhaps you can rent a popup to see if it is truly something you want. Also when you look try and set the camper up yourself if possible. Before I bought my NTM camper I was really out of shape and couldn't handle the weight of the slideout or Gally sink myself. Luckily I had all winter to get myself back into shape.

19. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

No one knows your needs, wants, and capabilities better than you. The best we can do is express our likes and dislikes with what we've had. At this point in our lives a PUP fits our needs very well. We are still fairly fit, it's easy to get in the tight camp grounds in the mountains, and has plenty of room for our family. When it just the two of us we'll be stepping up to a Trailmanor.

Tom Jordan and WVhillbilly like this.
  20. PucknNana

PucknNana New Member

The smaller Sprinter class was our first thought but the prices stopped us in our tracks mighty fast!

BillyMc and jmkay1 like this.