Opinions needed-Forgot to winterize toilet

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by jmkay1, Nov 12, 2019.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

As the thread starts. I need your opinions. I just realized I forgot to winterize my cassette toilet. And apparently it's going down to the upper teens tonight, but above freezing during the day. My camper is in off site storage 45 min away and I can't get off work until 7 pm. The storage lot will be closed by the time I get there. Do you think it will be OK. I'm going to try and take an hour off tomorrow so I can get it done, but no can do tonight.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Well for what its worth, I was out of town this past weekend got home late yesterday and it got down to 19 degrees last night. After reading your post my light just clicked on, went outside to drain water in the toilet holding tank no issues and it 37 right now. Will raise camper up and drain everything else tomorrow. I have to move a lot of stuff to raise the camper up. Kids storing their crap at my house..ugh!!!

3. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

You can only do what you can do.....
    We have had no issues (so far) with multiple freezes. We drain the water tank for the cassette toilet, the holding cassette is empty. (I would be concerned if there were water left in it.)

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Honestly, there's a good chance it will freeze. You might get lucky and it won't break anything. If there's nothing you can do about it, just roll with it. If at all possible though, I'd try to get there before it freezes. Teens are cold and can freeze things quickly.

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

With it being insulated in your camper I think you'll be ok the first night. Temps haven't been that low. I would think it would take several days of low temps with extended time below freezing for it to drop the temperature in the camper low enough for stuff inside to freeze. It's not like it's exposed outside to the elements. You'll need to get it sooner than later, but taking drastic measure to get it tonight isn't needed if you plan to get it tomorrow.

Now I'm thinking of a cassette toilet that you pull the inside out to dump and you have stored inside the camper. If you have a pipe that runs out of the camper and is exposed to the elements then that is at a risk of freezing in those temps.

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

So how'd everything turn out?

7. jmkay1

Well there was no water on the floor and the manual pump sounded like it was working. I couldn't lift the roof so was working on my hands and knees. I couldn't physically verify everything was working as it was supposed to. Apparently the park was closing at dusk as they had some yearly festival going on so I only had 10 min to get in, and get out. I feel a little better knowing it sounded like it was working though. The freezing weather came up on us quicker than usual this year. sure hope it's not a sign as to what is to come.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Sorry to hear that they had to close up early on you. Rodney Dangerfield luck this week for you it seems.

9. tfischer

Why couldn't you raise the roof? You will still want to properly winterize it.

10. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Next year just use antifreeze as your flushing liquid [:D]

11. jmkay1

Well the good news I already had the camper winterized except I forgot the toilet as I used it on my last trip and figured I'd get one more trip before winter. I was wrong. I ended up pouring 3/4 of RV antifreeze in the toilet so as long as it truly pumped through I should be good. Maybe if it decides to warm back up and I have more time than less than 10 min I can open everything up.

kitphantom, tfischer and neighbormike like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just drain it good in the spring. Mine had something in it when i bought it that solidified and clooged up everything. Not sure if it was old antifreeze or the stuff to break down the waste. Eaither way dont leave it in the holding tank. It was a pita to clean out. Had to take the whole thing apart and use a flushing wand to clean it out.

13. tfischer

Pink AF shouldn't solidify over winter. What we do with our smaller toilet is just run some pink stuff through out to push out any residual water, then drain it all out. Some residual remains in the lines and we flush it in the spring. Kind of the same thing we do with the main pup plumbing too.

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It was probably over 6 or 10 winters, the pup i got wasnt used in a while. Just a reminder to flush it out! ( and not sure what it was ).

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@tfischer Pink RV antifreeze will evaporate if there's is enough air exposure - it does that in the flush toilet in our TT, so we add more to that and the p-trap once or twice during the p-trap. I assume if it evaporates from the toiler, it'll do that from the p-trap. (Remember, we live in an arid environment.) Once I began using seal conditioner too (it's compatible with the pink), I get a lovely purple gel by spring if I forget to keep adding.

16. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Joanne. Just wondering if you ever made it back to your storage unit to winterize your toilet yet?