Opposite of an introduction.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by f5moab, Apr 10, 2018.

1. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

For the past few months this forum has started to look more and more like Facebook. Too many morons for me. I am making a formal request to have my account closed. There are very few who I would ever care to meet so I feel there is no reason to waste my time even discussing the time of day.

Too many of the same ludicrous question and too many irresponsible answers pulled out of someones rear end.

I would say, goodbye; however that would be hypocritical.

NMroamer, 1380ken and myride like this.
  2. TRR

TRR Active Member

Isn't that kinda like asking to be forever banned from your neighborhood bar because there are too many drunks in it? If you don't want to interact with the idiots, just don't go inside. Stay home and enjoy your beer with your family and just forget about the place.

Who knows? Someday you might have a hankering for a different draft beer and want to pop back in. Or not. Either way, farewell.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Well, this moron has always enjoyed your input and all your posts.... I actually agree with you to a degree, but I really like it here.... Good luck to you, and as always, Happy Camping!
    Mike

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Dam, hate to see you go F5. You and the other cranky old farts on here bring a lot of wisdom and common sense.

MaeKay and neighbormike like this.
  5. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Try never logging in again... Hope you're not on my campsite trying to make bow-drill the only fire making method

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Hate to see you go, I'd like you to reconsider. You and I have answered many questions together and set people on the right track. The Portal took on a whole FB vibe when it swapped over to the new format last year (or whenever that was). A bunch of old timers, with lots of knowledge took off at that time, and never returned. We need people like you with years of knowledge and a high post rate to keep the Portal going strong. There's nowhere else to go that would have less number of the type of people you're concerned about. Hang around and keep the fun going. Don't worry about the 'morons', they don't hang around long....

And, I'm gonna miss your running dog signature line!

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I also enjoy reading your posts and seeing the places that you camp. You and your dogs will be missed.

8. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

F5, really sorry to see you leave.
    Yeah sometimes it is hard to get past the same old questions which could have been answered by doing some plan old fashioned looking for them.
    But people like you are also why I frequent sites like this as you have experiences to offer. (Even an old fart like me.)
    But good luck in your endeavors.

9. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

If you don't return, at least we will have your archived posts for all of the valuable input that I, being new here, have already learned from.

10. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Welcome to the internet. ;) Everyone was new once and all opinions may not match yours/mine/others, so a tad of tolerance is necessary. Yes, it would be nice if people invested 5 mins of time in doing research before asking for help (not just here, btw, everywhere). But, hey, it is what it is. People everywhere want/expect instant gratification with minimal investment - it's a well documented trend. And for all I know I could be one of the folks driving you nuts. ;) Regardless, sorry to see you cannot tolerate the place.

crackerJack and Matt Benoit like this.
  11. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Having camped my way across the continent on both sides of the 49th parallel in a truck bed camper, a TT, three canvas popups, and now an Aliner over the last 55 years, and travelled the highways and byways of five states in the upper Midwest daily for 30 years for my occupation, I have picked up a few nuggets of knowledge on travel and camping which I enjoy sharing.

I have really enjoyed this site over the five years I have been a registered user and several before that as a visitor, but I agree with f5moab as I have also noticed a degradation in the overall quality of the discussions here. There is more of a social media 'flavor', and less of an 'around the campfire' feel as long time experienced users die or drift away out of frustraton.

There is a fine line between the naiveté of a brand new camper seeking specific advice, and someone too lazy to do some simple research or to practice backing up instead of publicly complaining how hard it is. When someone's first post, for example, is a request for a link for a plumbing part, or how big a camper can I tow with my Prius, I ignore them. I now just log on and go directly to 'new posts' and scroll through looking for actual camping pics and stories.

There is an ebb and flow to seasonal activities like camping that would reflect in a forum like this, and right now we are just beginning to emerge from the long winter doldrums. As people get out into the campgrounds en masse once again, I look forward to reading and contributing camping stories and pictures, and ignoring the caterwauling social media type folk who are not seated around the fire.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  12. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Personally, I can't tell if this site has gone the Facebook route, I have Never Logged onto Facebook, Never Have Never Will...

As far as "Formally requesting an account be deleted" is about the same as a call in radio show where the caller disagrees with the host and says, "I'm never going to listen to this station again"

You don't have to announce it, Just don't tune in. Or in this case, Just don't log back on . It's just that simple.

There is no need to call people Morons for asking mundane questions, Just ignore them...

13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I agree with this. Over the years, I have seen the change as well.

14. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the others... You may have been around for a long time, and gotten used to the forum being a certain way, but things change. The forum seems to get a lot of new members every day. (Myself included in the last year).
    More people = more questions, more problems, more solutions, more advice and more camping stories and adventures!
    You don't have to be rude or toss insults, just ignore posts that bother you...or don't visit the site anymore? Either way, I'm sure your knowledge and experience will be missed.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sorry to see you go. I enjoyed your posts all of us must do what we feel is right .Good Luck and Happy Camping

16. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

NO!. i found your replies to me to be extremely knowledgeable & ive put them to use. dont leave! change how you interact w site & people.

im a college Technology instructor. some students WANT to learn & suck up knowledge like soda. others are there, half hearted, putting in half effort. i HAVE to teach them all, at the pace they understand the info. some just get it & catch fire, others barely get the gist of it.

as to same questions. im STILL figuring out how this site is built, organized & functions & where to post questions. admin Steve has moved posts, admonished me for things, so its a learning curve.

someone asks a “dumb question” (me)
    someone else has an answer and i get several responses that REALLY help.

you don’t realize that your knowledge may be the answer to a problem!

as as to like FB: not even. i come here to get away from the orange face that floods my feed.

MaeKay and mamba42 like this.
  17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You need to have thick skin around here. Sounds like F5s frame is a little twisted from putting down his stabilizers before lifting the roof.

Dback2k4, kcsa75, myride and 2 others like this.
  18. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

ok? Thanks for letting us know. I personally like the feeling of wonder when a person stops posting. Like did they just move on, get out of camping, die from a massive heart attack or get eaten by a bear.... Like right now I'm thinking about I haven't seen 94d2 or similar the California cop post for a while. Maybe he feels like you and just posts less, maybe a criminal he put away caught up to him, maybe I've been on here less because of the amazon pop up that seems to corrected for now and it's a me thing. I might even be wrong that he was a cop but think I'm right?

19. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Not saying this is true or applicable to F5, but it's a funny sentence.

20. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I'm new here, but not new to camping. I like being able to discuss my favorite hobby with people, and have enjoyed your input, looked for it even. This is a good forum. covers a lot of topics, isn't exclusive to brand of camper or type of camping.
    It was good to "know" you though.