Opposite of an introduction.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by f5moab, Apr 10, 2018.

1. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Thick skin, indeed! I do believe that F5 may have contradicted one or two of my posts. It is always a bit uncomfortable, but to me, contradictions are always welcome as it helps me to learn things. Some contradictions have helped me to change my approach on answering questions here on the Portal.

I guess you could say that contradictory posts help me to think about my answers before I start talking out of my bunk ends! ;)

It is always a little bit sad when we lose someone with valuable knowledge of a shared interest.

neighbormike and myride like this.
  2. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Yes when a question is posed it's up to the person asking the question to choose whose response is best. There are several topics that have a strong divide on here (trailer brakes on a 2500lb trailer will never be resolved...). I think the only one that has come to a mutual agreement is putting bikes on the rear bumper. Everything else is up for discussion.

On the bike topic, can we come to a mutual decision to respond with "did you even try to use the forum search noob?"

I personally like the way the forum is heading. It feels less stuffy and upity in here. A year ago I wouldn't have responded with either post I've put on here. I also don't use Facebook so don't know how that compares but i think it is more laid back recently.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

This definitely not Facebook We dont have Political Propaganda Posts filling halve the pages or Food pic's, Selfies and Whiners.

crackerJack, BelchFire and NTL1991 like this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Well, log out then and don't let the door hit you on the way out.. If your going to complain about "new" people asking questions before using the search function or cry because a bunch of the stuff is repetitive, here's a hanky and run along.. Everyone here was new to camping and new to pop ups at one time or another and everyone has had questions, but to call those questions stupid because they have been asked before really reflects your personality.. So later 'gator, Happy camping...

Toolmaker13, cyndib, theseus and 6 others like this.
  5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would not look at this forum if there wasn't crabby people and arguing. I try to control myself but i do say thing just to get a response sometimes. It would not be much of a forum if all the questions could only be asked once. It would just be a searchable data base.

myride and Snow like this.
  6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Everyone is new at some point and it will be sad if you depart just because of clueless newbies. I'm certainly one and have enjoyed reading your posts and watched "conversations" where you have disagreed with someone (or agreed). I'm slowly learning and will miss your input.
    Regarding repetitive questions, not everyone has good or even basic search skills. Others here have responded to this type of question by providing a link and how they searched for the answer.
    In the end, you have to do what works for you. Hope we continue to see you around.

neighbormike likes this.
  7. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Take care, f5. Although we haven't always agreed on how to do things, I've always respected your words.

8. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

I’ll miss all your help! I know I’m one of the annoying ones asking for tons of help. I try to figure out all the correct words to search for but don’t seem to find the answers. And then I post my question and someone shares a link to a previous thread that I couldn’t find on my own. And my post about not being able to back netted some really good advice I didn’t even think about. So in my case, it was productive.

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  9. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

If only Spring would finally arrive and more people could get out actually camping to post some pictures and stories!!! The winter itch is killing me!

neighbormike likes this.
  10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Sometimes web boards can get under your skin. I don't visit here often these days but that is mostly due to cards dealt in the life game. Not sure if I like the newest format / software but I am sure Steve had good reasons to switch. There are plenty of RV or camping related boards out there that are one hell of a lot worse than portal could ever be.

One certain manufacturer specific board I can think of is so overmoderated by a crapload of power hungry folks, that it's beyond ludicrous. You can say Amish craftsmanship is a farce, and get reprimanded for being a racist LOL. A couple of the others, Rvnet and IRV, can get downright hostile, and are both seriously lacking in the "sense of humor" department. At Rvnet mention pickup truck of any brand and the thread will turn into a Ford /Dodge cluster#@%! of a debate among the same 4 or 5 people every time lol.

I've seen all of these boards (format) degrade over time with the advent of other types of social media, Facebook and the like. I don't see the benefit in posting your personal info out on the net but whatever floats it for ya.

I suspect these boards will eventually go the way of the IRC chat room. I miss those.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    BelchFire and neighbormike like this.
  11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Best of luck with your future endeavors. Yes, this site has changed a lot some for the good some bad. I'm just sitting back and giving me time to get used to things. I enjoy helping out the newbe if I could, as in my mind I was new once too. The biggest problem about forums is you cannot always tell if someone is being sarcastic so to many it could be read completely different from what the OP intended. I've tried a few other forums and all the others I found people downright hostile to popup owners. They all have that I'm mightier then you, you low class scum that comes through their posts. I don't find that here, which is why I stuck around.

12. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

As for searching. Google can be used to search specifically this site. It is an option that pops up below the first few suggestions.

As for Amish craftsmanship. I can see that it is a farce with my own eyes in the local residential new construction.

As for sarcasm. All regions are represented on this forum. Ex. Up north people honk car horns frequently.
    Down south honking at someone may start a fight.

As for camping. I’m so happy spring is here!

seldomseen380 likes this.
  13. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The craftsmanship exists as long as you don't throw a level or a square on anything. It works well for horse barns and corn cribs, but not so much for a custom home lol. Now building stuff for ones own is one thing, and building for the "english" is another. You have to account for that. Also the religion seems to go out the window when money comes into the mix. Thou shall not steal comes to mind. My experience with the Amish in construction is they are always looking for a change order. Ohhhh you want your walls plumb, that's an extra. Ohhhh you want 2 nails in every stud? that's an extra. Ahhh you want Shoofly pie for desert? That's extra lol.

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Change order is worth it for good shoofly pie though!