Options for getting a popup from 1000 miles away

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by acousticbiker, Feb 13, 2015.

1. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

I'm considering getting a popup from a seller that's about 1000 miles from me. I'm considering delivery or flying there and driving it home.

- Does anyone know roughly how much delivery would cost for 10' box?
    - Does anyone know of a rental company that allows their vehicles to be used for towing and allows one-way rentals?

2. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

That can get really tricky. I am sure you looked around locally for a unit. Too bad you were not able to find one a bit closer. I think it will get expensive if you pay someone to deliver it. That person needs to charge round trip fare. Your best bet might be to fly out there and then rent an SUV from a large rental company and then drop it off locally. Most SUV rentals have a 2" hitch. It helps them for resale value later on. Just remember to fly with your ball and hitch. :)

3. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

How exciting!

If it were up to us, we would drive there in our TV, stay in a nearby campground (or the seller's driveway or backyard if possible) for one or two nights to check out the systems and make sure we understood how everything worked, and then drive home. You could easily get there in a day and a half and coming home you could make it in two days.

Allowing the buyer to stay on our property for a night or two is something we would offer to anyone buying a PUP from us.

4. R00

R00 Active Member

We would probably do that too. On both sides of the coin.

5. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

acousticbiker,

I had a Off Road Trailer built in Oregon and shipped it to Missouri. I think it ran around $900.00 Dollars to ship our trailer. The company I used was called Daily Direct. Daily Direct "LINK"

They mainly haul motorcycles, but they do haul camping, jet skies, ATV's, etc.. The truck that delivered to us was a two floor box trailer, with rear trailer door becoming a huge lift gate. They roll your trailer/motorcycle out on the lift gate and lowering it to the ground. No forklift or ramp needed, you should call the person your buying the trailer from and get the closed dimensions of the Pop Up Trailer, the trucking company will probably need those, to see if they will ship your trailer. Daily Direct has a Pretty slick set up!

They're Truck is as big as they get "At least it looked that way to us". They will deliver right to your driveway, we elected to meet them behind a local Target store in our area, more room to maneuver around. We Had No Problems!

They will work with you, Good Company, I hope this helps!

UNI

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If I was in this position I think I also would drive it up myself . For one the cost of driving is usually less than the cost of airfare and car rental. The only problem I see is how good are the wheels. If you were to haul it yourself you may need to see how safe they are prior to going on the road. Staying a night or two may be a great idea to ensure all is well for the trip. Getting the name of a near by rv shop just incase would also be beneficial. I would ensure you obtain all papers required per your state requirements prior to it being put on road. Good luck and congratulations.

7. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Thanks, everyone! I've got some airline miles I was going to use to fly out (to save some time) and was hoping to get a one-way truck rental to tow, but I cannot find any place that will allow reasonably priced one-way rentals that allow towing (U Haul rent pickups for towing but only round trip; they do box trucks that can tow one way, but they cost a lot more. Would appreciate any tips on places that allow this...

8. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hola Sir

1. Where are you ?

2. Where is the Pop Up ?

3. What is it's Towing Weight ?

9. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Someone posted today that he got quote under $1,300 for 800 miles.

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

11. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

This question comes up every so often. I don't think anyone has ever found such a rental?

12. steveonzakon

steveonzakon Member

The DW and I drove 1091 miles (no, I didn't check the tenths of miles) with our TV to get our camper last summer, then towed back.Drove partway up, stayed with friends, next day finished the drive, checked the camper out, towed it back to our friends house. Third day we were home. It was a fun adventure.

13. davido

davido Active Member

I've had vehicles shipped a few times. There are companies that transport vehicles.

When I was relocated from SLC to Portland in 2000 it cost my employer about $850 to ship my old Bronco.

When I was relocated again from Portland to Los Angeles, my employer paid about $1000 to ship the same vehicle.

And when my father-in-law purchased a vintage BMW with a side-car from a seller in Iowa, it cost about $800 to ship that to Los Angeles.

In each case, the company that transported the vehicle gave us a date window, and brought the vehicle over along with others being shipped by other parties.

When my employer also moved my 27' sailboat from Friday Harbor, WA (San Juan Islands) to Los Angeles, that was about $1800, if I recall (it was ten years ago, and it was a reimbursable expense, so my recollection is vague).

But if I were you, I would just drive the 15 hours, buy the thing, set it up in a KOA camp for the night, and head home with it the next day. If you're not on a tight schedule that could actually be a nice trip.

14. russjbeck

russjbeck New Member

Ten years ago employers were good about relocation. Paid re-lo for a sailboat? Dang. My employer sent movers to my house. It cost $8,000 to move me. Today they pay nothing. I had a few offers in the past few years and none offered to pay for relocation expenses.

15. steveonzakon

steveonzakon Member

If the job market was as strong as our government wants us to believe, employers would be offering these kinds of things to new hires again.

16. TheEvilKaren

TheEvilKaren "That's what I do; I drink and I know things."

In the late 90s when my husband bought a classic car from the original owner in CA (we live in KS), he checked Hemmings for a transport company and found one with two phone numbers, one in AZ and the second in our home town in Iowa! DH didn't know him, but when he delivered it and DH threw up the garage door to reveal his original 1965 GS convertible, the guy was astounded because he had actually driven the car when it was owned by an old girlfriend's father!

We lucked out because the guy we used has two homes, one in AZ and one in IA, and transports vehicles when he drives from one to the other.

17. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

The seller provided a VIN number, but the VIN doesn't return a record when I check Carfax. Does Carfax work for RVs/popups?

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I don't know about carfax, but it's possible the seller's state doesn't require the same registrations as your state. I'd call your local DMV first, find out what you need, talk about the VIN thing, and go from there.

I agree with making it a 3-4 day trip, checking everything out WITH the seller, then camp one night. Make it an adventure! And yes, check the mfg date and possibly change the tires before making that type of trip.

Good luck!!

[:D]

19. phantom_yj

phantom_yj New Member

What an exciting prospect for a road trip, I had to wait over a month after buying my trailer before I got to go camp in it