Options for getting a popup from 1000 miles away

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by acousticbiker, Feb 13, 2015.

1. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I just found this site for you....HERE

It appears anything with a valid VIN # can be looked up for prior damages, etc. Now, the only thing I can't pin down is the motorized thing. I mean, even with a VIN, carfax (I'm thinking) might only work for motorized RVs...like anything above a travel trailer.

[:D]

2. davido

davido Active Member

We put money down on ours, and it took the dealer five weeks to fill the order. We then had to go back a month later to finally get the air conditioner installed. We didn't wait that final month before camping, of course. In fact, more often than not we camp without electrical hookups. But when we go to hot parts of the state (southern Utah), the air conditioning is essential.

3. steveonzakon

steveonzakon Member

Oh, if you do tow it home, it is cheap towing insurance to get AAA plus (the plus includes RV, trailer and motorcycle towing.

4. glgreg

glgreg New Member

I'm headed somewhere for spring break. Where do you need this pickup & delivered? I'll tow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 New Member

I thought about doing this. I'm a teacher and off during the summer so I thought it would make a nice road trip (why pay someone to transport it for you). My plan was to tent camp on my way to pick it up, take a day or two near where I bought it and stay in a local campground and see the area, then make it a slow drive home (probably taking the scenic route) with several stops on the way home at different campgrounds.

Two things stopped me:
    1) Worry about buying a pop-up so far away. If it is used and the condition isn't what I expected, it would be a long trip to waste if it was more than a few hours away. If it is new, I hear that RV dealers can be a bit testy about performing warranty repairs on campers that weren't bought from them so again, anything more than a few hours away is a bit tough.
    2) I was selected to teach summer school this year so my summer ended this past Monday when I had to go in to work.

Anyway, that is to say, it you don't mind the risks (a possible wasted trip if it isn't in the condition you expected or possible warranty headaches if it is new) it seems like it could be made into a fun trip. However, I'm with those who say to make it a vacation and an adventure instead of paying someone to transport it. Drive out (hotels or tent camping depending upon your desires and the weather), pick it up, and stay in the pop-up on the way back.

Note: I realize that this is an old thread and the OP has probably already made up his/her mind. However, since it is a sticky I figured I'd put in my $0.02 for others who check the thread because they are thinking the same thing.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

My parents bought a new RV in Oregon but they live in NC. They drove the small Suzuki from NC to Oregon and picked up the RV. Found wrong sofa and a few missing items. Had the dealer mail these stuff to their home at no cost. My parents took long route camping at different places for one month. That's what they did. That saved them several thousands of dollars of delivery. they used the money for the camping trip home.

7. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

It took many replies (Jeff's) to bring up the subject of why would you want to buy something sight unseen from so far away? Whether it is new or used from a dealer or used from an unknown party, there are several things you would want to check out yourself before making a final deal. Even if you bought it on Ebay or other online auction, I would do as others have suggested and either drive out there so you can check it out or find one closer to home. The deal can be undone if there are major problems.

8. edh

edh Active Member

Better to drive there and tow it back I think. Certainly cheaper. Do be sure it's roadworthy before towing it home, eg tire condition and bearings lubed.

Last, are you bet-your-life certain that the seller has a good title in hand, ie VIN matches the trailer VIN and title is in his name? You don't want to end up with a missing or bad title and be having to sort it out from another state...

9. Jim1957

Jim1957 New Member

We bought ours last year near Columbus as we could not find anything closer. Not as long a drive as that but still took a while. The one thing I wish I had done was d/c the bearings. The owners told me they had replaced them just a year earlier and they were in good shape. We checked everything else and towed it home. No problems. I checked them a few days later after getting home and they had over tightened them and had not greased them properly. Ended up replacing bearings and races. In the case of a 1000 mile trip....i would have them show you they are fit for a journey that far. One of mine would not have made it that far.