Oregon Profiting Off Out of Staters.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Arruba, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Interesting approach to tourism:

https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2021R1/Measures/Overview/SB794

For those who don’t read through legalese regularly, the summary is the State of Oregon is going to set a 25% “surcharge” for Out of State campers at State run campgrounds. This was started as a temporary measure last year as a way to encourage people to stay closer to home and other stuff. I’ll guess it either worked very well limiting Out of State crowds, or they want even more other stuff. I’ll guess the stuff they want is more money. The following is a news piece about the temporary fee increase from last year.

https://www.registerguard.com/story...rs-to-discourage-travel-raise-funds/42200481/

Seemed worth posting to me at least. Discuss away.

Ryorkies likes this.
  2. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

Like tuition differences at state colleges?

Spridle likes this.
  3. FR228D

FR228D Active Member

TBH tuition kind of makes sense when its state funded universities. Your local tax dollars pay for it so you get a better deal than the guy coming in from out of state to go?!

Not a great precedent to set when you should be encouraging tourism dollars for your state businesses on the parks though.

Maria E, Ryorkies and Kellita Camper like this.
  4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Pretty much like out-of-state hunting licenses... guessing every state does it to some degree. Wisconsin State Parks have a slightly higher entrance fee, though the actual “per night” camping fees are unchanged.

Rik Peery and kcsa75 like this.
  5. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

some states (like NY) have always charged out of state campers more to camp in their state parks.

theseus likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

There are a few states that do charge a little extra where I camp been like that for as long as I camped . it’s usually not by much almost usually under $10. I personally see it as a way I’m helping keep the park/campground running. Now if they start charging over $15 extra I will second guess where I stay. I’m very used to boat ramp fees charging extra, everywhere I go it was always higher for out of staters even kayakers. To me, It makes since as my taxes were not helping maintain the place, but I know they always get the few people that throw a fuss.

7. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

Oregon is so far away from here that I have it filed into the "theoretical" states category.

Lloyd B, PennyPA, tfischer and 2 others like this.
  8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don’t have a problem with it. I figure state parks should have a surcharge for out of state use. We have different fee structures for hunting and fishing licenses, colleges, etc so it makes sense for state parks to do something similar.

1380ken likes this.
  9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I don't object.

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't like it if I was the out-of-state camper, but I understand why they do it. Most state parks systems depend on these fees for part of their operating budgets, and my experience has been that most of the ones I'm familiar with -- Kansas, Missouri, Colorado and Arkansas -- spend their funds wisely.

12. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I’m ok with it. State parks couldn’t charge what they do if they weren’t subsidized by taxes, paid by those who live within the state. State park camping is dirt cheap compared to private campgrounds and for a better experience. Even with the surcharge it’s a great deal.

kcsa75 likes this.
  13. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

A number of states we travel through have some sort of fee for out-of-state use in state parks, so I don't have a problem with it. Makes me wonder when they quit charging it, because there was such a fee back in the 80s, I believe.

I read that the surcharge only applies to sites with hookups. Maybe since a portion of our rather high (IMHO) RV registration fee goes to state parks, this is to get some funds from out-of-state RVs. The campground infrastructure at many parks could use with some updates and there is no shortage of campers.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. Fog

Fog New Member

Sounds like the influx of Cali’s is starting to take ahold !! Tax em till they choke frame of mind! Stay tuned, film at 11 !

15. Bill McCall

Bill McCall New Member

Just another blind tax - google DUBLIN OHIO FIELD OF CORN. This was paid for my visitors via a hidden bed tax at hotels.

16. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I'm ok with a few dollar per day surcharges. But places like MA Are asking close to 30 per day.

This method is pretty useless. They should at least wave it for veterans.

Veterans aside, another method is to only start the surcharge if the campground is above 75 percent capacity.

This encourages people to seek out camp grounds that may be close by but not as full, and also maintains profitability to keep staff employed. It costs virtually the same for a full camp ground vs an empty camp ground.

17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

While I cannot say I am thrilled at any uneven tax or fee increase, it is understandable. State owned and managed parks are primarily funded by residents tax dollars. Considering Oregon has no sales tax, they miss out on collecting revenue from out of staters that do not own property, nor earn an income in their state, while enjoying the public services.

As others have mentioned, it is similar to higher tuition charged to out of state students in state funded colleges, or out of state hunting / fishing licenses being assessed at a higher rate, which I suspect most if not all states do.

Fear not travellers to Oregon, although it has been decades since I lived there, I can say with absolute certainty that the real treasure for camping in Oregon lies not in the state run campgrounds, on the contrary those are some of the least desireable places to camp. But rather Oregon is a gold mine of dispersed camping opportunities.

Limace and Zephyr like this.
  18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That influx of Calis happened decades ago. Oregon and Washington states used to, with the exception of a few enclaves of LSD addled hippies, basically where the Universities were, be very, distinctly different in mind set from California back in the 70s and 80s. Predominantly rural, with strong timber and agriculture industries, and a regional welcome to tourism as it brought tons of money into the region. This started changing in earnest with the .com boom of the mid 90s. Calis would make a killing in Silicon valley, and take the money, move north where housing was far more affordable.

19. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

As a resident of a state that has been overrun with tourists I can understand. Not only have visitor numbers exploded but the amount of trash, human waste and property damage has been awful. It has to be paid for by someone. Sorry , not it.

Overland, Ryorkies and Rik Peery like this.
  20. JDS615

JDS615 New Member

Tennessee doesn't charge more for out of state. But they do have a discount for in state residence so...

generok likes this.