Original Aliner roof extrusion anti-friction material

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by OneTruth, Sep 7, 2019.

1. OneTruth

OneTruth New Member

my pre-owned 2015 Ranger 15 has two stripes of white high density plastic tape on the inside edge of the front roof side extrusions to aid the sliding of the rear panel when raising or lowering, and possibly to aid as a buffer for rubbing while traveling. Is this the factory solution, or something my previous owner applied? The tape is peeling away and cracking now. Either way, I need to replace or take an alternate approach.

2. Econ

Econ Active Member

Yes. Aliner sells the replacement tape.

That's a big project on my list. The PO tried to glue it back on with silicone and I have to remove all that crap first. It fell off.

OneTruth likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

One of ours was falling off and hanging in front of the window when we bought our camper. UHMW tape is hard to stick to anything.

OneTruth likes this.
  4. OneTruth

OneTruth New Member

Thank you for confirming! I bought some off of Amazon. Will super clean (goo gone then alcohol) before applying new tape

5. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Mine finally came off last year. I found a recommendation to use Velcro as a replacement from a repairman that has more than a decade of specializing in repairing Aliners.

I removed the left over glue residue from the plastic tape with Goo Gone. Then I cleaned the area very well with alcohol to remove any oil or dirt. I added Heavy Duty 2” Strenco Velcro Loop from Amazon. It’s works very well. Stops any friction between the inside of the lid and the sides.

https://www.amazon.com/Strenco-Adhesive-Black-Hook-Loop/dp/B00H3R9S1K?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

It’s been a year since installation and we’re happy with the results.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Econ and OneTruth like this.
  6. Econ

Econ Active Member

Is the fuzzy side better than the hook side or does it make a difference?

Thanks, I owe you one.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  7. Econ

Econ Active Member

What's the link?

8. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

The soft side of Velcro is LOOP and the hard side is hook.

You only want to use the fuzzy side = Loop side.

It’s worth buying the HEAVY duty version so it won’t come off so easily due to using stronger adhesive on the backsides.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

10. Econ

Econ Active Member

I ordered the Velcro and the tape and will compare the two. Guess I know what the next project is

OneTruth likes this.
  11. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

Would you be kind enough to report back here as to the results? I need to replace the tape as well and while the velcro sounds like a more adequate route as it should also provide some level of "sealant," I don't want to essentially pay for two strips (loop and hook) and only use the loop side.

Econ likes this.
  12. Econ

Econ Active Member

This is extremely preliminary and is a knee jerk reaction. DW has planned a 15 day trip that will come up soon. She demands the Chest Of Drawers (32.25" by 37.75" x 17.25" deep) I am building for the Expedition be finished and installed before we leave. It is Baltic Birch edge banded with 1" solid Cherry strips. This converts the dinette to a two person dinette with fold out table top. The Chest is done and the drawer fronts got started today. IT will be finished in Tung. She believes the 2 week trip will see if it is a viable plan before she plans the microwave hole. There are also demands for a solar panel install before we leave.

I have a 5" section of new factory "tape" around here somewhere. Did a brief search and can't find it so i'm going off memory. The Amazon tape is J.V. Converting uhmw-pe5/ ......x5ft. The factory tape is at least an inch wide. This stuff is 1/2". It is not very thick. Factory I remember is a lot thicker. This stuff could be super tough but there are doubts.

There is not enough time to clean the silicone off the extrusion before the trip. I won't waste the factory tape if found without cleaning. Velcro is cheap. The trip is 1,500 miles or so. The official plan is to put Velcro on and see what 1,500 miles does. If the Velcro holds up may put the Velcro on top and the factory tape just below it in the future.

The story will continue....

13. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Econ,
    I would really like to see your plans or finished photos for the dinette conversion

14. Econ

Econ Active Member

#1 Was cleaning up the shop tonight and found the factory anti friction tape. It is substantially thicker than the Amazon tape. It is a good 1/16" thick and clear.

#2 Dinette replacement. Photos to be posted in the A-Frame sub forum in the future. It is basically a chest of drawers that fits into the footwell of the back part of the dinette. This cuts the dinette down from 4 to two people. The cabinet has a top then another top section hinged to the first. You then lay the second top section over that provides a table top for the two remaining people. Imagine a table top cut in half, hinged in the middle and the second top lays on top of the chest top so you can access the drawers. When people need a table top there are two horizontal supports that pull out like 18th century desks. You lay the second top over on the supports. Since the whole top is bigger than the factory the only way for the street side person, me, to get out is to raise the second top up to a 45 degree angle and slide out.

How do you post photos?

15. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

16. OneTruth

OneTruth New Member

I replaced 1 strip this past weekend. I focused on the width (failed to factor thickness) when ordering and selected this option. TapeCase 423-3 UHMW Tape Roll - 1 in. X 15 ft. Squeak Reduction Tape with High Tac... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00823JBVG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_rW2FDb1V59V4K

It was much thinner than the factory tape. I started to try to remove the old adhesive with goo gone and scraper, but it took forever and was super slow going. I gave up and installed over top the old adhesive residue.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  17. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I posted instructions for uploading photos here.
    I hope this helps!

18. Strawhouse

There appeared to be residue from tape on one side of my Aliner. When I asked my dealer if something was missing, he said no. In fairness, my unit had been sitting on another lot for almost 3 years. It’s likely that the tape was already missing when it was delivered to his dealership.
    I ordered the following from an amazon.ca.
    BB224B44-7CDA-46C2-AA7D-8E729BD168D2.jpeg
    I have more than I’ll need, but I wanted the wider tape. It’s always something that I can share. It arrived yesterday. I’m on my way outside to install it now.

Update:
    ...and done!
    I cleaned the front side extrusions and applied the UHMW tape on each side.
    I was then able to use a roller from inside my trailer. For each side, I unlatched the rear panel, stood on a 3-step stool beside the front latch. I was then able to open the front latch, tip the panel inwards, and used the roller to firmly attach the UHMW tape.
    Easy peasy!
    I’m heading out for my next trip in a couple of days and will be setting up my Aliner 5 times. I’ll update the performance of the UHMW tape in early October.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  19. Econ

Econ Active Member

The Chest of Drawers was finished, final sanded, wiped down with mineral spirits, and turned over to the stain department tonight. I suggested Tung Oil. At 24 hours per coat she should be finished in 4 or 5 days. Then the install and final photos.

The grandterrorists will be over here all weekend.

The metal supply house is closed til Monday (solar install) so I will work on the anti friction tape this weekend.

The below is a random photo as I am learning how to post them.

IMG_4564.JPG

Rik Peery likes this.
  20. Strawhouse

I’ve camped at 3 locations since I added the UHMW tape. The tape has made a significant difference in the ease of lifting the roof and is holding on well.