other uses for the gas grill line

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by abbub, Jul 31, 2009.

1. abbub

abbub New Member

I'm curious if any of you guys have found any other useful uses for the gas grill line on the side of the camper. We typically don't carry the grill that we got with the trailer. Have any of you made mods to maybe use the line for something else like maybe a smoker or a fish fryer ??? Or something else. I'm looking for suggestions.

thanks

abbub

2. The Wargos

The Wargos New Member

Assuming it is a low pressure gas line, I suppose you can use any propane appliance with that outside port the appliance has a quick connect gas line or adaptor on it. I'm sure others will chime in to give their input. Good luck.

3. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

On my Niagara the outside line is a high pressure line. I use it mostly with the two burner outside stove top but I have also used it for my small gas grill and once for a turkey fryer at a family reunion. I have a 8 foot line that I can use to get the fryer away from the PUP. If I didn't have the regular outside stovetop, I could also use my coleman propane stove.

4. arffch

arffch Member

Camp chef has a line they call modular cooking. It starts with a gas stove and "builds " from there. We have the two burner explorer (ex60) stove. Those are 30,000 btu burners. if you need more heat they have stoves with high pressure burners also. A 15 x 32 griddle and two BBQ boxes for the thing. Griddle is great for breakfast or fajatas. BBQ box turns the stove into a gas grill. I got two small ones so I can use one and the other burner seperatly WWW.campchef.com

5. cyclesteve

cyclesteve Member

Arffch,
    I am thinking of getting one of the 30,000 btu camp chef stoves. I have one of the low pressure stoves that came in my pu. I didn't like it inside so I moved it outside. It takes forever just to heat water. Is the EX60 the only stove you use? Are you saying you have a small griddle and a small BBQ box? Do you have any complaints? Do I need a high pressue? I am not going to be frying just boiling water. I would like to hear others options also. Thank you

6. arffch

arffch Member

last weekend I did a cajun boil for 40 campers. [{:)]It took about 20 min. to get 20 quarts of water to boil then about another 15-20 minutes to get 10#s of potatoes and 10# of sausage done.

the griddle covers both burners DO NOT use high heat on this you will burn everything. A freind was a cook at a resturant and he said that med was about the heat they used at the resturant.

the bbq boxes work good on med for steaks and chops. I use low for chicken or potatoes.

Yes I only cook on the champ chef stove outside. it keeps the inside cool and clean... yes sometimes i spill/drop bits and its not on the pup floor [:D]

7. phipps

phipps Member

I have a Brinkman 2 burner stove that I plug into the low pressure quick connect on the side of my camper. Each burner is 35000 btu and beats the heck out of the OEM stove.

8. Kypopper

Kypopper PuP IN Resto!!

My camper doesnt have any lines like that i guess its too old but i have an 88 starcraft parts pup that I could rob its Lines from and put them in my Coleman? Does this sound feasable??

9. Kevin 11-RT

Kevin 11-RT New Member

Great idea. Does anyone know where to get one of those hoses with a quick connect and a connection for a lamp or stove?

Thank you.

Kevin

10. Kypopper

Kypopper PuP IN Resto!!

Any of those hoses to convert a small tank gas stove to a big tank would work but youd need to find the adapters for the quick release.

my Coleman has Hard copper lines but im not a big fan of them!! They work well though

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

12. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

So I'm still a little unsure. I never use the 2 stoves that come with our Coleman camper, just the separate Coleman 2 burner stove I bought that runs off the disposable propane units. I'm been wanting to hook it up to the 20 lb bottle in front, but is it possible to instead hook it up to the quick connect stove line on the side of the camper? It would be much easier and less costly. My dealer said a "T" and 12' line would cost about $90 (to hook it to the 20lb tank).

13. Newbie Camper

Newbie Camper Lovin' Camping

Not sure about that. I know our Pup came with an inside stove and an outside grill. However, we could you the stove in both places. We haven't tried that yet though. On our first trip out we had to leave the site in a hurry the night before to run to town and left all of our dishes and food on the picnic table. "Here's your sign" When we came back the woodland creatures had helped themselves to every bit of food and licked our dishware clean. The next morning for breakfast we didn't even have a pop tart left. So we decided to grill our bacon on the outside grill. I can still taste the grilled bacon, YUCK!!! That's one we'll never forget, now will the kids. [CP]

14. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

We don't have a grill, but we have a stove that you can use inside or outside...I have never used it inside because I don't want to cook inside the pup and always hook it up outside. If you have a line on the outside it should hook up to anything that has the quick connect line.

15. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet so I figured I better throw it out there.
    Keep in mind that the outside gas line may be for low pressure appliances.
    If it is, you can't just hook up the regular Coleman type propane stoves (ones that use the 1# disposable cylinders) as they are high pressure appliances. I know some PUPs have a high pressure stock stove so you may be able to just hook one up and be good to go. I just know that my PUP's outside line is low pressure and that's why I completely disconnected the stock plumbing and now just run my stove directly off of the 20# cylinder.
    Scott

16. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

I believe it is a high pressure stove that mounts there. Am I correct in assuming that if it is a screw on fitting it is high pressure and therefore I can mount my Coleman type disposable cylinder stove to it?

17. magicfish

magicfish New Member

Could you use the low pressure from the pup on a stove or bbq that uses 1# cans if you remove the pressure regulator?
    Glenn

18. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

here is the problem, the appliances on your PUP mostly use low pressure. the appliances that use the small 1lb bottles are High pressure appliances. if they run at all on low pressure, they wont run very well. if you only have low pressure on your PUP, and really want to have and use a high pressure appliance, you would have to put a "T" fitting at the propane tank, so one side of the "T" would go to your regular low pressure regulator that came with your PUP, and the other side of the "T" would just connect straight to your high pressure appliance. It has been done many times before, i am sure if you do a search on the forums and type in "high pressure" you will probably get quite a few hits

19. magicfish

magicfish New Member

[:(]
    In my previous post, I was mistakenly think of the flow control on my bbq as also being a regulator. The longest extension hose I've seen are 12'. Not long enough to go from my 20# tank on the tongue of the trailer. I guess I might end up getting a 5 or 10 lb. tank just for the bbq and the Coleman stove. I'm getting tired of the hassle and expense of the 1# cans. Even then, I'll still have to use them for the lantern. It does need to portable.

20. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

But the Coleman Cheyenne does have a "High Pressure" outside stove which is what makes me think that it can be hooked up to an alternative stove w/o "T"-ing in to the propane tank. Any other Coleman owners do this?