Our $1 Camper Facelift

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Abrams1997, Jul 14, 2013.

1. 2jazzy

2jazzy New Member

Looks great!

2. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Awesome job!

3. DaveWo

DaveWo Member

[move]Fantastic! [/move

4. billangiep

billangiep Member

Nice work !!

[​IMG]

5. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

She certainly did a nice job! I struggle with stencils... someday maybe I'll give it another try. Great idea to do the camper table. I wouldn't have thought of it!

6. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

Incredible job!!!!! You should be proud of your accomplishments!

7. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

Abrams Thanks for answering my question as i prepare to dig into my water damaged ceiling. I was just unsure on what to use to hang the plywood or plastic sheets to the ceiling. You did a great job and Congrats on the NTU PUP!!! Hope you and your family enjoy it and share alot of happy times!!!

8. carols

carols New Member

Excellent job! I'm really amazed at the changes. Can't wait to see the final product photos!

9. Abrams1997

Abrams1997 Member

Well,

We had a few days break with work, 6 flags, and friends. The ladies got one tent end complete. We have to work down the kitchen side and finish the other tent end. I have to fix the sink still and wire in a break controller and we are set for our maiden trip to the Great Smokey Mountains in a few weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

What did you use for the curtains? Looks awesome!

11. Abrams1997

Abrams1997 Member

She just found fabric where ever fabric is found! [:D] I guess she gets it at craft stores or fabric stores. She used the original tabs to fit into the slot hangers and used the original curtains as liner because those already had a rubberized black-out matting on them.

12. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Great idea thanks!

13. Abrams1997

Abrams1997 Member

We have been slowly plugging away on finishes. I still need to repaint the tongue portion of the frame. It is up under the tent end and I haven't closed the trailer for weeks. I had to replace the sink faucet, supply lines and drain assembly...all of those were old, trailer type, plastic. Upgraded all of the portions at Lowe's with real home hardware. Much better. My DW has been painting and finishing sewing for the last couple of weeks.

Here is the finished decorations of the other tent end. Very middle-eastern / Indian like theme. We wanted it to be a fun place to hang out for those times we will spend in the tent. All three of my ladies love it! This was taken before we painted all of the wood paneling and cabinets.
    [​IMG]

Here is the completed painting. Ignore the messed up tent end...my girls play on the beds while we work. The bathroom cover is still drying outside...but that had its edges painted and has the same finish surface as the counters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictured is our favorite Camper Accessory. He LOVES "going to the camper." I think he understands English.

We delayed our maiden trip last weekend to host some out-of-state friends passing through town. Friday we head to the Great Smokey Mountains! Can't wait. Makes for a hard week at work and hard to focus when I am worried / anticipating our first trip being 4 hours from home! I just planned a trip with major excitement like the Smokey Mountains to seal the deal with the family and open their eyes to the wonders of camping. I am praying we have no major hiccups!

14. Abrams1997

Abrams1997 Member

I forgot to mention that my DW replaced all of the hardware for under $50.

15. whitmw

whitmw New Member

Its been my expierence, with every trip, something will go wrong. The fun part is working around it with the understanding that eveything does not have to be perfect for a perfect trip. [SUN] [PU]

16. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

What a nice camper...does your wife do consignment work?

17. Hanne

Hanne New Member

Great work on the roof! And awesome work on the decor! Love the gray and yellow - can't go wrong with that. [:D]

18. Abrams1997

Abrams1997 Member

Thanks all. We will test our work in one and a butt days. We packed it up tonight. Still no break controller. I think I was sold a bad unit.

19. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I am very impressed with your work. I have a sag in mine and a little damage from the po trying to mask it by putting sealer on the gasket and AC and just like you i had to cut it off with a sawblade. I put a new gasket on and it doesnt leak so Im good till I have to tackle this job maybe this winter. thanks for the pics and I will studying this post and doing what you did. Is there 3 sections in the roof? the olny damgae is right at the ac unit about 12" on one side where the vent to the blower is which would be the back side opposite the door. Om hoping to just do the middle part. Good job man!!!!!

20. Indy

Indy Member

Incredible! What a makeover!