Our "big" 3 week trip 6/20 - 7/12 and some astrophotography shots captured

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by mtbdudex, Aug 5, 2014.

1. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

I posted some of these in the new member area, not realizing there was a dedicated astronomy/star gazing section...

Hi, my name is Mike.
    We borrowed a friends 1995 Coleman "Utah" pop-up and took it on a big family trip.
    5 in our family, including 3 kids ages 8/10/12.

Below is our big 3 week out west trip 6/20 - 7/12 and some Astronomy and Celestial images to share those .... (my hobby is photography)
    trip stats: 22 days, 5275 miles, 122 hours, approx 14mpg , $1430 for gas, 8 campgrounds, 3 hotels (1 night each), 1 64GB SD card with 2,200+ RAW images
    Memories made: priceless

Trip route and dates:
    [​IMG]

This is our Mesa Verde campground June 22 night, clear Milky Way with the ISS also captured.
    Canon 70D, Exposure settings: single image, ISO 6400, f 3.5, 15mm, 20 second, tripod.

[​IMG]

Jun 28, 2014 Grand Tetons -
    Fire and Ice
    [​IMG]

iridescent clouds
    [​IMG]

Here are some from Grand Tetons 7/1:
    This is by the boat launch, this is bear country and 3:30am, so I was kinda freaked taking these all alone....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was Grand Tetons 7/2 in the campground around 1am
    [​IMG]

07, 2014 - Milky way over Custer State Park. Very clear night and dark skies. That's our Nissan Quest and camper RH side, with my wife and kids sleeping inside.
    This is 6 images simply put together using PSE Panoramic method, as my 15-85mm @ 15mm was still not wide enough to capture the height of the Milky Way.
    [​IMG]

I've got a few more astrophotography images to post, just need to get around to processing them.
    We can share and discuss techniques, like how you go from initial RAW image w/o any PP (Post Processing ) applied
    [​IMG]

to this with just some basic PP applied
    [​IMG]

2. Glamping Grandma

Glamping Grandma New Member

WOW!
    Wonderful Astrophotograpy.
    I am a big fan of Wally Pacholka and am fortubate to have two of his photos.
    Are any of yours for sale?

3. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Wally's work and others at TWAN is first rate!

I'm not posting here to solicit sales at all, rather share astrophotography techniques and discussion as a common interest.
    I'm purely a hobbyist - I have a "day job", however I have sold some prints via this site
    http://fineartamerica.com/art/all/michael+rosinski/all
    due to people asking for prints of my NASA APOD Aug-5-2011 and my 2012 Royal Museums Greenwich Earth and Space Highly commended image.

I will add some from our 3 week trip there and evaluate "fair" pricing for them.
    Just reference for those other 2 images:
    http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110805.html
    http://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/astronomy-photographer-of-the-year/2012-winners/earth-and-space