Our first popup - 1987 Jayco

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
Brought home our first popup the other day... 1987 Jayco 1008 SG. The wife has never officially been camping but I have plenty growing up, was almost always in a tent.
It originally belonged to my brother-in-law who bought it about a year ago for $1200 but sold it because they bought a much larger regular camper, a 14 foot + 6 ft extendable... He sold it to his friend (for $1000) who used it once, then had his wife tell him they wanted something bigger. He took apart all the canvas and cleaned it up then reassembled it before their one trip. My brother in law told us that his friend was selling it.. and when we spoke with the friend he agreed to sell it to us for $900.
Don't have any pictures yet but I will be sure to post some when I get them.

The camper is overall in very good shape.. a few things needing work (as we have 2 daughters, 7 years and 19 months) but it is camp ready. I know I need to find some bungee cords as the one side of the slide out had broken so it does not seal up, easy way for bugs to come in and possible for toddler to fall out. May use duct tape temporarily if we camp anytime soon. My broinlaw has cut a square out the back and placed a slide in/out small Air Conditioning unit as this one does not have one built in, and ran a heavy duty 20Amp cord under the counter so I have 2 AC power cords to plug in. It does not have a battery, but looking at the unit under a seat, it apparently has that option, but the wires are all over so I am not sure if it would even work if I got a battery. Any of the places we would camp as a family would have their own bathrooms, water and power so it is not too much of a problem. If I go out camping by myself in the woods, I could go without all that... bring bottled water and eat canned food, soups, cooked food for meals.... Will post pictures soon.

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
Finally got pics and figured here would be a good place to add them. Click the 2 smaller ones to see them full size.

and for those wondering what it says on the side:

2009_0809_0004.jpg

As it says above, this PUP went from my brother in law, to his friend to us. My brother in law originally bought this with the government stimulus money/tax refunds from 2008, and being the joker he is, he added the painted on text, and we decided to keep it on.

Grizzlytaco

Nov 10, 2005
Las Vegas
[:D] Congrats on your NU2U PUC purchase. Looks like its in pretty good shape, and it a Jayco so you cant go wrong. Here's a site that you can find parts for your Jayco if you should need something..........Ed C.
http://parts.cunninghamcampers.com/

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
Grizzlytaco said:
[:D] Congrats on your NU2U PUC purchase. Looks like its in pretty good shape, and it a Jayco so you cant go wrong. Here's a site that you can find parts for your Jayco if you should need something..........Ed C.
http://parts.cunninghamcampers.com/

Thank you, there are only a few parts needed like new door handle with a key and the lower/bottom door hinge as it is bent and starting to break from someone putting weight on it... I may take it apart and flip it over to level the door out.

zjrog

Aug 9, 2008
Tooele, UT
Oh thats FUNNY!!! I love that painted text. Mid if I use that myself? I'll get the vinyl guy at the mall to cut it out for me...

Tell us more about the AC mod...

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
zjrog said:
Oh thats FUNNY!!! I love that painted text. Mid if I use that myself? I'll get the vinyl guy at the mall to cut it out for me...

Tell us more about the AC mod...

Feel free to use it, my bro in law was the one that painted it on, it is about the size of a sheet of paper so he just used scissors to cut it out on the paper then taped it to the side and used spray paint (with extra paper outside of it to block overspray).

As for the AC mod, he did that as well, he just measured the unit, cut an extra 1/4" on each side extra. From what he said, he just went layer by layer until he got to the inside... then he also placed some wood inside for the framing and then covered the bottom with a thin coat of clear fiberglass resin so the heat and humidity and AC condensation would not affect the wood. I have been looking at it and trying to find a way to mount it permanently without damaging both the PUP and AC.
Also since the area that was cut out originally held the spare tire, he moved that to the front in the dual LP canister location and the LP canister itself just floats around wherever there is storage room. Once it gets filled this next time, I have the green astroturf mat rolled up that I will used to wrap around it until I find a mounting spot. I was thinking of making an insulated "box" around it (with a closing hinged top), including some tie down loops so I can tie it down to the back storage rack, then attach the box to a short dolly with wheels so I can off load it from the back and wheel it around to the front corner when it is camping time...

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
Well our pup passed the first major test.... I have left it up expecting some afternoon thunderstorms for the past few days and it finally decided to actually give us some rain today (along with LOTS of lightning). When it settled down, I went inside and everything is dry including the inside of the canvas that was wet on the outside.
I also checked the roof corners and side yesterday and I could not find any wood rot so thats another plus.

IowaCamper

Aug 3, 2009
Blakesburg Iowa
We too just got our first popup, a 1997 Coleman. One of our bungees are broken too and the seal that meets the top and bottom when you close the camper needs replaced. I'm interested in your AC set up. We would like to add one, but I don't think the roof is strong enough. Where does yous fit?
Vicki

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
IowaCamper said:
We too just got our first popup, a 1997 Coleman. One of our bungees are broken too and the seal that meets the top and bottom when you close the camper needs replaced. I'm interested in your AC set up. We would like to add one, but I don't think the roof is strong enough. Where does yous fit?
Vicki

Ours fits right in the rear center. A hole was cut all the way through, then the inside of it was reinforced with either 2x4 or 2x6, then the bottom and part way up the sides was covered with a clear fiberglass resin to protect against the condensation and elements. The top has 2 vinyl straps anchored to the wall to keep it from sliding all the way out.
When it is packed up, the AC just slides in and sits on the floor. There is a block that was built with the astroturf stuff all over which slides in tight and helps seal it up. When it is at the campsite, we will use it for a step in and out. My only other plans are to find some sort of seal around the outer edge on the outside to keep any of this Florida humidity from getting inside and rotting anything from the inside out just below the sheet metal.

2009_0809_0008.jpg

grehmer

Sep 3, 2009
I have the same trailer and was wondering if anyone out there knows where I can get a step for it. Also, if anyone has an original step that came with the trailer could you by chance post a picture so I could see what it looks like and maybe fabricate one myself. Thanks.

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
grehmer said:
I have the same trailer and was wondering if anyone out there knows where I can get a step for it. Also, if anyone has an original step that came with the trailer could you by chance post a picture so I could see what it looks like and maybe fabricate one myself. Thanks.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=2629&pageNum=437

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=2629&pageNum=438

We have a 3 night camping trip this weekend so I will try to get you measurements next week...

grehmer

Sep 3, 2009
screwballl said:
http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=2629&pageNum=437

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=2629&pageNum=438

We have a 3 night camping trip this weekend so I will try to get you measurements next week...

Thanks for the info screwball, however, the step that fits on the Jayco seems to be unique to only Jayco. There are 2 holes in the frame under the door where the step would be inserted when set up and removed when on the road. I don't think it was ever a perminant mounting type of step.

Greg

Dusty82

Super Active Member
Jun 23, 2008
Northern Nevada
If you can't find bungee by the foot locally for your bunk ends, check out the automotive department in some of the bigger hardware store chains, like ACOE or True Value. We found a cargo net for a pick-up bed that was made out of bungee. I got it home and took it apart, and had enough bungee to replace the old cord on both of our bunk ends, plus 2 6 foot long bungee cords left over. I think the cargo net cost me somewhere around $10.