Our first run

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by frankenkat, Aug 25, 2013.

1. frankenkat

frankenkat New Member

We bought our first Pup a few weeks ago. Our good friends bought one a week later. We had to make our maiden voyages together right? Buddy System!
    This trip was to be a close to home, easy trip to "test out" our rigs. Our friends reserved two spots at Chippoke's Plantation State Park, just across the James River from Williamsburg. We rolled in Saturday afternoon after an easy drive down country roads.
    What a great park! We arrived and picked 2 spots in A loop. Both sites were fairly level. It took a 3 stack pyramid of Lynx levelers for us, our friends were good to go. We got set up with no major issues. Since we were both new to our rigs we were mostly trying to get a feel for things this weekend. We had a great trip with no major issues on either rig.
    The 3 things I ran into this weekend should keep me busy this week.
    1) Door latch. It has worked fine the few times we've had it popped at home, but after a few in and out trips it totally failed. Pretty much spent the weekend reaching through the canvas around the door to open it from the inside. I took it apart twice, but I think somebody had it apart before me. It's missing a spring and look completely worn. Hopefully an easy hardware store trip.

2) Water tank. At some point somebody replaced the stock faucet with a regular kitchen faucet and disconnected the fresh water tank. The existing hookup works when connected to water at the CG, but there is no line from the freshwater tank. I can see where the fill line goes from the outside over the wheel well Nader the seat and into the floor, but that is it. I have no idea where the line from the tank should be. There is also a disconnected wiring harness under the sink (not sure what that goes to)

3) Tires. The PO said the tires were a year old, but she hadn't really driven on them. I discovered a few cracks on one of the tires and I'm thinking I should probably replace them.

Chippoke's Plantation was a great park! Lots of historic buildings, an antique mobile sawmill, Olympic sized pool, and a small farm area. Our kids got to pet and help feed one of the pigs, and we got a wonderful walking tour from one of the rangers. There was enough to do at the park that we realized we would need another trip or two to see everything properly. We took a short hike through the woods and enjoyed walking the loops. The bath houses were clean and the camp host and his wife were charming. We had a great time in A loop (great for pups if you like to have trees around you) and are already trying to wrangle another trip there into our schedules.

2. garzanium

garzanium New Member

Sounds like a good time with no issues!

3. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip! We love to camp at Chippokes too! Spring and Fall. We camped there in July and boy was it hot! The spot we had in A loop was so sandy. Going to try B loop next time.

The problem with your door latch... my daughter bought a Coleman and had the very same problem too. I believe she got her repalcement latch from off Ebay or Amazon.

Can't help you with the water tank issue. Did you check the owner's manuals up here?

The tires... if they are starting to show cracks, I, myself would replace them.

Campit

4. ghri49

ghri49 Member

The electrical disconection that you saw was probably from the water pump that you would need coming from the fresh water tank.

Popup tires are fairly cheap and i would feel better knowing i had good tires on. Keep the old ones as spares

Known alot of people to have problems with there door hatch and will probably just need to replace it. i need to replace mine too.

Glad you had a good trip and remember to keep it simple and enjoy yourself camping.

5. polkarandy

polkarandy New Member

We made our first run this past weekend also....a campground just about an hour away. We had a great time and decided we'll go again. Our next trip is in about 3 weeks with some friends who have been camping a long time and PUPing for just over a year....we'll see how that goes.

6. xshield

xshield New Member

Glad to hear you trip went well. It sounds like you have some minor issues to fix. I second what ghri49 stated. Pop up tires are cheap. It can't hurt to have a fresh set.
    I don't have a fresh water tank in my pup. I removed it for more storage. I never used it and know I never would. We either hook to city water or use the large water jugs (10 gallon) I recently bought. I do a lot of primitave camping as well and it made sense for me to have something I could use for both.

7. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

fankenkat, sounds like you had a good time. I have to agree your problems were small and now that you have been out you can see what you need to fix next. on old campers it is normal to have a lot to adjust to your way of camping. the wires probably went to a 12v pump for the fresh water system. don't forget to flush out your fresh water tank. it sounds like she used it at a perminant site and didn't need a tank. it could be bad in there. just a caution.
    have fun and enjoy. :)