Our little family of ten just bought our first pop-up!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Our9arefine, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

I am beyond excited to have purchased our very first pop up camper! It is a 94 coachman. The crank pulley system is a bit sticky and will need to be replaced but other than that, she is beautiful! I think we got a fantastic deal at $1300. Even though the interior is in very good condition I am so looking forward to updating! I am getting some vinyl plank flooring today and I have been busy on Pinterest looking at ideas for decorating. As a large family, ( number nine will be here in a couple months), we have figured out camping is the best option for our family vacations. We have always tent camped but after waking up on a deflated air mattress in the middle of the night and then being rained on through the tent the following night, I decided we needed a camper! I was nine months preggo at the time, and I was camping alone with my seven children :) I am thrilled to have found this site, I cannot wait to learn from everyone more experienced than us! Thank you!

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the PUP family. Don't discard your tents. 10 in a PUP is going to be cramped. I would suggest Mom and Dad and the littlest ones sleep in the PUP and the oldest sleep in tent(s) Maybe use a large 3 room cabin tent

3. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

Hello and Welcome from South Central Kentucky. Congrats on the N2U PUP and congrats on the addition of #9 to your family...

[PU] [PUT]
    [size=14pt]BEAR[/size

4. Indy

Indy Member

Congratulations on #9. I have an only child, but I really admire big families. Camping must be so fun with such a big family! I agree though - keep the tents for extra space.

5. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Welcome from central IL! Enjoy

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome from NM.

As speckhunter80 indicates, using a tent along with the pup might be a good idea. Looking for a good quality tent, and keeping up the waterproofing on both pup tenting and tent helps keep the weather out.
    [I say good quality, since we've had REI tents that kept the weather out for years, and an Coleman purchased after a well-weathered REI tent was destroyed (in a micro burst)on a trip began to leak after less than 2 weeks of use.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to The Portal. Congratulations in advance on number nine. You guys are going to look like the Brady Bunch at camp. [LOL]

Maybe you could do an idea that I've had for a long time. Making a tent underneath the rear bunkend.

8. sharon54

sharon54 New Member

I have a Jayco eagle 98 pop up slide out [:)C] [{:)]

9. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

Thank you for the welcomes! I love the tent under the slide out bed idea! We will definitely need a ten for the older girls. Thank you for the suggestion on REI, our previous tent was a Coleman. It was huge but really disintegrated quickly. The pop up has two kings, a full, and a twin. For our first venture, (pre tent), we will have mom and dad plus two yo four yo and six yo on one king. ( heck, half the time they crawl in bed with us in the middle of the night anyway ) The other king will be for the eight, ten, and eleven year old. The 17 and 13 yo will share the full and grandma gets her very own twin :) We used to tow a trailer for all our gear so I am a bit concerned with how to get all our 'stuff' to fit.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Welcome to PUP country from Alaska!

11. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Welcome from Ontario!

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Virginia....happy camping

13. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Welcome!

You'll find that alot of the stuff you "used" to carry is part of the camper. However, if you carry any amount of "kids stuff" (Bikes/push cars/ pack-n-plays) you might have an issue.

What's your TV (Tow Vehicle)?

14. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Welcome from the great Pacific Northwest.

15. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I have seven kids and we camp with a pop up so I can fill you in on things that work for us. We have all slept in the camper on everal long trips including the dog. Our youngest was 8 and the time and the oldest was 15. We all fit fine in a Jayco 12UDST. The main issue with this approach is that the entire camper is set up for sleeping and there are not a lot of places to sit and relax or get out of the weather if that is needed. When we used that approach, we had a very good screen house - a eureka northern breeze that has side panels on all sides and completely weather proof. We set that up over the picnic table and put a few chairs in there so we can eat in there and also relax and play games in there.

Our current approach now that the kids have gotten a bit bigger is that the four older girls sleep outside in a tent and M&D and boys sleep in the camper and we leave the U dinette up all the time except for the table. We also have a sitting couch in there. So, there are places to sit and read and so on and girls can also do that in their tent which is a tetragon 10 tent.

In any case, we do all of our cooking outside usually with the awning set up. We are fairly active, so most of the time when camping we are out and about or hiking or so on. The main thing is to find an approach that works for you and will still allow you to have an enjoyable time in inclement weather.

Not sure what your tow vehicle is, but we have a sprinter van and it works great for our larger family.

16. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

Congrats on the NTU pup! Camping life is better off the ground. Happy camping!

17. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

[8D] Welcome from West Central Ohio. [SUN] Happy and Safe Camping. [CP]

18. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Welcome from Tacoma WA. You could use an Add-A-Room to the bag awning and put a couple cots out there.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You can buy " Add a room" for extra room for older kids. Screen room would do fine, too.

20. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

Sounds like an add a room is a great option! Thank you! We have a 15 passenger Chevy express. We can still take out the back seat till baby comes. After that we will remove half of the back seat. I am so glad the Chevy offers that. The sprinter is awesome, but only seats 12. We needed extra seats because we often have extra people with us. I have spent all day shopping with eight kids for up grades for the camper. Too many opinionated people to make any decisions! I want to find a vinyl plank floor, but I couldn't decide between the limited options Lowes offered. :)