our newest camper

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by penny, Mar 18, 2020.

1. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I'd like to say our last camper, but have learned better.

We started 2020 out by buying the camper of our (mine, anyway) dreams. Some friends decided to sell us their 85 Avion a rare model 25H. It is bigger than any thing we have ever pulled behind us. It is comfortable beyond belief and honestly the easiest thing to tow we have ever owned. I don't know if it is the double axle, or the independent suspension or the aerodynamic shape. It may even be the truck we are towing with now. anyway, no more white knuckles in the wind for me.

So we have been cleaning and detailing a lot. The frame and floor were in pretty perfect condition, as was the interior. much of the vinyl and rubber trim needed to be replaced or repaired, fixed a broken roof top vent, and a few seams sealed. the water heater needs at least adjustment and parts and the power tongue jack is temperamental. two things we are trying to baby along until we have to replace. the water lines are the old PB grey lines, and we check them constantly. we will have to replace those down the road too.

the inside is classic. we have made a few small changes and repairs. spent some $$ on original interior light lens, all new led bulbs, stick on backsplash, a few pieces of wrinkly wall paper removed. Lovely birch paneling underneath, so nothing further done. wiped down rich natural wood in the camper. one of the hardest jobs was getting the windows relatively clean. they still don't sparkle, but the aren't opaque anymore.

I am constantly surprised at how many places we still fit into! it's relatively easy to level and very sturdy. And finally we have a camper that feels as open and airy as a pop up!
    I really like this forum, even though we are about as far from a pop up as we have ever been, love the mutual love of camping that is here! So I can contribute a bit here and there, and really value this community of campers! 5C7CD657-B0CF-4738-8A63-AF250E7D2B92.jpeg

2. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

My open deck car trailer tows much better (with car on it) than the popup does. Easier to back up too.

Nice find!

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Nice looking unit, i wish you many great years of un-troubled travel and camping

4. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Very nice, how about some pictures of the interior

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

For sealing those seams, check out Parbond. It comes in metallic silver.

6. penny

penny Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Ladiesman, Sjm9911 and xxxapache like this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

WOW congrats

8. xxxapache

Another good sealant option is Acryl R. It also comes in silver. The down side is you have to use a rather expensive applicator pump to apply.

I have a can that is over 4 years old that I am still using. I have had to thin it a bit a time or two, but it's still good.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

They say the electric toung jacks dont last more then 3 years. Why idk. They are cheap enough at about 90$ and easy to install. I know another expense. But i found it was worth replacing it. Especially, when my othet one would spudder. Looks great and glad you got to take it for a spin finally!

10. xxxapache

My TT is a 1995. It has its original electric jack...I reckon they don't make them like they used to....lol.

I just did a search for a replacement jack like what my trailer has. It's far more than $90. They are $436 when Vintage Trailer Supply has them in stock.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol thats why it lasted!

12. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

kcsa75 likes this.
  13. penny

penny Well-Known Member

thanks! it is sure different than our little campers. funny how quickly we got used to the size!

Sjm9911 likes this.