Our trip to Disney World and Fort Wilderness

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by popuppartyof5, Sep 20, 2015.

1. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

Arrived home last night from our wonderful trip to Disney world. We stayed in Fort Wilderness in Loop 1500 at site 1516. What a great campground. I camped here in the late 70s and early 80s with my parents and boy have things changed!!! Best thing about loop 1500 was that it was right across from the pool area and campfire area. Easy access to Disney transportation too at the end of the loop. Small tent / popup loop with only 20 sites. Bathrooms were Great and kept exceptionally clean the whole week we were there. We brought our bikes on our new popup bike rack and were able to cruise around the different loops and enjoyed seeing all the different campers. It is not a quiet campground until 11 or so. Expect to hear fireworks every night and the music from the water parade but it was a great way to stay on Disney property on a budget. The one thing I did notice was tons of rental popups set up in our loop. Companies set up the popups ahead of the guests arrival. Interesting Here are a few pictures from our adventures. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Looks like a great time!

3. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Just got home from ft wilderness spent the weekend in loop 1900 great time as always

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Glad you had a great time and your husband got time away from LeJeune. Kids are really grown since Easter two years ago.

5. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Sounds fun! We are thinking about going over thanksgiving next year but I hear it's a crowded time to go.

6. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

The Ft is always very busy. However they handle it they well

7. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

I noticed they rent kayaks there. Can I use my own if I decided to lug it down there? Also is it safe to say that one can easily spend 2-3 days just enjoying the CG?

8. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

No you can not use your own. There is a lot to do at the CG.

9. fletcher4pa

fletcher4pa Member

The website doesn't currently list prices for the pop up sites but states "rooms" from $69/night. Is that what pop up sites cost? I haven't been down in years and we stayed at the All Sports Hotel on Disney.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

10. colocmpr

colocmpr Member

Looks like a great way to see Disney! Wish that we were a bit closer and could do the same.

11. kstephens

kstephens Member

Can't wait. We check in, in one week. Originally we had planned to take the pup. Then we invited our 15 yo niece, so needed more room with her and the 4 of us. Rather than spend a fortune on a resort room that sleeps 5. We found an rv rental place in orlando that will come and set up a 2015 35' travel trailer at the fort for around $800 a week. My first step into the dark side.

12. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

The tent / popup loop is running 69 a night advertised rate

13. tork65

tork65 Member

Awesome, we were there two years ago, loved every minute of it. Its a great place to camp.

14. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

We usually visit Disney once a year. I have been driving down for the last 2 years. FL weather is unpredictable. Battling the afternoon thunderstorm is not an easy task.

15. AeroPilot

AeroPilot New Member

We are going the week before Thanksgiving,... it will be our first trip to Disney and we are taking our new Hybrid. I'm glad you had a good trip and positive review, as we are getting excited about our trip more and more by reading all these great things!

16. fletcher4pa

fletcher4pa Member

Thanks!

17. backinthegame

backinthegame If it ain't poppin, it ain't campin

Great info in this thread..... We have thought about a trip down to Disney and Ft. Wilderness instead of the typical resort and just doing the campground and maybe downtown Disney and no parks at all.....

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

OMG!! $800 for a week's rent of a Travel Trailer?? Man, that's highway robbery!! Then again, it's FL and DW. [:(]

I grew up, a la Disney. All my life until I could say NO, I'm not going!! Would have camped there anytime, but the parks just got to be 'old' when you're there all the time. Now the REAL party is underground!! Seriously, that's where 'things happen'!! My Grandpa worked there a few years before they opened, and for the next 30 years. He drove a SEMI underground, delivering food to all the restaurants that you THINK are cooking behind that wall! LOL Anyway, it's just a totally futuristic world underground. My best DW memories! :)

19. tork65

tork65 Member

Schaffer,

When you go, make sure you have a long power cord for your camper, I couldn't keep mine on the pad and reach the outlet. I don't now if others have the same issue, but the extensions at the camp store are pricey.

20. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

800 is nice considering I dropped 4k for 2 rooms the last time. I am from mass and too far to tow.