Our trip tp Panama City Beach

armyguy

US [USA]
Dec 6, 2004
Asheville NC
Well the drive down to PCB from Charleston went without incident, once we got there I decided to check my phone (trying to enjoy vacation and ignore it in my bag) and there were two messages from St Andrews SP stating that our reservations for Sunday and possibly through Wednesday were cancelled and the campground had been evacuated. Of course I am at the Wally world at Front Beach road just having bought supplies. I called them back and asked if they recommended a place; they said Raccoon River, which was just a short drive away. So I called, I thought for sure being in the middle of Labor Day weekend I was screwed. But the lady who answered was very nice and told us to come on down. Upon arrival she told me she had had quite a few cancellations with regards to the Tropical Storm a few days prior and to just pick out a site that suits you and let me know, and yes you can stay through Friday. So we walked around and found a sweet site, set up and had fire going and a beer in my hand for my troubles in no time.
Pro: Air conditioned bath house
Clean facilities
Walk to the beach
2 pools
Con: Price is double what you pay at a SP (but the amenities are good)

All in all we had a great time, and by the weeks end my DW said she would stay there again.

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
Thanks for the lead. We're going to St. Joseph Pennisula state park. We were looking at PCB but wanted to be away from the party.

eoleson1

Super Active Member
Jul 5, 2011
Macomb County Michigan
Gotta love a happy ending! DW and I are headed to Destin on Saturday. We're not camping [:(] this time (maybe next time). It's our first time to that part of the panhandle, so I'd appreciate and tips on local food and attractions.

armyguy

US [USA]
Dec 6, 2004
Asheville NC
eoleson1 said:
Gotta love a happy ending! DW and I are headed to Destin on Saturday. We're not camping [:(] this time (maybe next time). It's our first time to that part of the panhandle, so I'd appreciate and tips on local food and attractions.

I would recommend a trip to Seaside on 30A (The Truman Show was filmed here) a lot of shops and great places to eat, and just walk around and see the Chapel and homes. As for PCB, this time of year is great as there are no crowds. Definitely go on the pier and walk it around sunset great photo op. The beaches have plenty of parking off of Front Beach road.

Fordiesel250

Mar 28, 2010
Glad that you and your family were able to get a site there. Our inlaws retired to Callaway which is just down the road and we go there quite often. Nice beach and campground

CO Hiker

Dec 6, 2015
Colorado
I use to "work" as a Dive Master for one of the local dive shops when I was stationed at Tyndall AFB, Panama City. While the beach is the major draw, something to put in your bag of things to do, there are several springs nearby that you can swim/snorkel in, Ginnie, Vortex, Morrison, Cypress come to mind. Water is crystal clear and between 68-75 degrees year round. Any dive shop can give your directions or search it on the internet. You could try a Discover Scuba session too. That was a major smile maker to put a person on the other end of my rig and let them blow all the bubbles they wanted while watching bass and turtles in the shallows. Manatee trips are a little farther south but not out of the question. Man in the Sea museum is pretty cool collection of artifacts and diving related items both civilian and military.
If you want authentic Italian food, give Ferruci's a try in old town PC