Out first trip

tsubeta04

Sep 27, 2014
So we had our maiden voyage this past weekend and thought I'd share some of our experiences with our new jay series 1206. Hope the long read is worth it for any readers out there. typing this has certainly been worth it for me.

We were fortunate enough to get 1 spot at Lake livingston state park just north of Houston and so made the reservations. The hard part was that because of my grandma being in limbo about leaving town, we weren't sure if we would leave friday evening or saturday morning. To add to the mix, I went fishing friday and got word around 3pm that we would be able to leave friday night. I called the wife and met at home to pack up everything (or what we thought was everything)

Memorable moments:

1. we manage to pack everything (or so we think) and I "loose" the keys to the camper! for 30 frantic minutes we ravage the house only to find the keys in the exact spot I know we had left them.

2. the awesome feeling we had that we had packed everything we could possibly need (or so we thought).

3. The look on my family's face when they saw the camper for the first time. I kept the entire thing a surprise. Without getting into too much detail, It's been a great accomplishment to get our pup. Not too many people from where I'm from have been able to get out and beat the circumstances. Although I don't consider getting our pup the standard for "having made it" but it is certainly a nice accomplishment.

4. The 15 minutes of terror we spent trying to raise the electronic roof without it working (even though I had set it up earlier in the week for practice)

5. the sigh of relief once I figured it out.

6. Teaching my sister to set it up with us so that she can help in the future.

7. The cold weather and how ill prepared we were to stay warm. We kept saying that keeping the windows down would be good for us and it wouldn't be cold. It was so cold it woke all of us up but no one wanted to get out from under the covers to zip up the windows (here is where being the man of the house sucked).

8, realizing that we did an amazing job packing toiletries (even q tips) but forgot any cooler with food or folding chairs to enjoy the camp fire.

9. All the other moments we realized what we didn't pack. We started a list. funny, I had to write on the list to make sure I write and actually use the list.

10. My grandma joining us the next day and laying in our pup (she swore she didn't sleep, but here snores and closed eyes tell a different tale).

11. Making a early morning trip to wallyworld to get some Items we swore we packed (finally found my favorite pillow resting on our couch at home when we returned).

12. Watching my wife and sister have a blast toasting marshmallows by the fire at night.

13. My wife and I's several conversations about how blessed we are.

I could go on and on about all the moments we shared on our first trip, but I'll stop here. Thanks to all of you for all the great knowledge and kind words since I've joined. While you guys were not present physically, your words and knowledge certainly were. Much obliged.

361da6b0bc35c5621c293464f3e5b620.jpg
7d2c44b076e7b2c71cc27daa90ce38f3.jpg
6d615db5628d6c425d5647b03bbbf810.jpg
85bb5aad12f97aa6774370b03472ea57.jpg

2012 jayco jay series 1206
2008 GMC Sierra

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Judging by the dog it looks like you had a very nice trip. Congrats on your pup. My pillow always seemed to be one of the most forgotten items. So i gave in and bought one just for the trailer. I put it in a space saver bag to keep it clean. I'm still trying to find a good check list I can use on my phone so I can pretty much always have it on me. Paper and pen work, but can be forgotten.

Merlin14

Aug 30, 2014
Looks like it was a pretty good first trip.
Next trip will you'll have 100% more confidence and things will be a lot smoother.
Trip after that...a bunch more smoother. After a year or so of steady camping, the smoothness curve flattens out some and you'll be in the groove!

Great things are ahead, thanks for sharing, and see you at the rally!

66Camper

Aug 24, 2014
Glad you and the family had a great first camping experience!
Here's to many more!
Below is a post I entered a while back. Thought it might
be encouraging to you. Good luck!

One thing I regret not having done after all these
years of camping thru the eastern states and Canada was not keeping a
3 ring binder of the individual campground brochures and site maps and a quick
story/writeup of the trip, and of the great people we had met at each one of those cg's.
I'd love today to look back and remind myself of the individual trips we took.
I can't remember specific cg names or their towns/states anymore, but believe me
I'll never forget the people, the sites, the views, the side trips and the fun! What
those trips meant to our family can't be put in words. We still are pulling our '66 Apache
to this day and the fun and creating of new memories goes on. I urge all of you new to
camping to begin creating that binder as I have convinced my own to do as they continue
on our family's camping tradition. One trip, three trips then its hundreds as in our case
at which point you lose the connection with individual trip details. Document it early!

silverfz

Aug 8, 2013
Great read. I started with a 20$ tent and a 5 yr old motorcycle as my travel rig . I always remember those days .blessed is a true term.

pandpcamper

Lifetime camper, newer to pup
Jun 25, 2012
Welcome and thanks for sharing. You'll find some great lists here and on Pinterest. So much to learn and this is the place! It's amazing how well those little electric heaters can heat up the place. A couple of years ago my mom and dad stayed in my brother's HTT. It was funny to hear her talk about going camping on that trip for the first time ever, even tho my dad and my sibs went camping in different forms over the years. It was also her last time, but now she has that reference when talking to her grandkids.

tsubeta04

Sep 27, 2014
jnc said:
It looks like every one had a good time. When do you do it again?

Funny how the wife and I have really fallen in love with this. we made our reservations for the upcoming rally in january and headed out to huntsville state park for thanksgiving. The wife is so excited, that today on the way to work, we were talking about heading to Colorado for Christmas in the pup (i'll have to do some serious research) and if that didn't pan out then to reserve some sites to stay in the pup for christmas break. We are both teachers so it's really convenient in that regard.

tsubeta04

Sep 27, 2014
jmkay1 said:
Judging by the dog it looks like you had a very nice trip. Congrats on your pup. My pillow always seemed to be one of the most forgotten items. So i gave in and bought one just for the trailer. I put it in a space saver bag to keep it clean. I'm still trying to find a good check list I can use on my phone so I can pretty much always have it on me. Paper and pen work, but can be forgotten.

I'm gonna end up searching for a similar solution for the list.

I'm with you on the space saver bag, but how do you do it when you pack the pup? do you take a vacuum with you? This is at the top of our list right now since we haven't got dedicated bedding just yet.

tsubeta04

Sep 27, 2014
66Camper said:
Glad you and the family had a great first camping experience!
Here's to many more!
Below is a post I entered a while back. Thought it might
be encouraging to you. Good luck!

One thing I regret not having done after all these
years of camping thru the eastern states and Canada was not keeping a
3 ring binder of the individual campground brochures and site maps and a quick
story/writeup of the trip, and of the great people we had met at each one of those cg's.
I'd love today to look back and remind myself of the individual trips we took.
I can't remember specific cg names or their towns/states anymore, but believe me
I'll never forget the people, the sites, the views, the side trips and the fun! What
those trips meant to our family can't be put in words. We still are pulling our '66 Apache
to this day and the fun and creating of new memories goes on. I urge all of you new to
camping to begin creating that binder as I have convinced my own to do as they continue
on our family's camping tradition. One trip, three trips then its hundreds as in our case
at which point you lose the connection with individual trip details. Document it early!

you've just given me a great idea. Thanks for sharing. It is something that i'll have to try and do well at doing; documenting our trips. Just sharing this post with the wife made her smile. you re-live all the moments and helps you to reflect and appreciate.

tsubeta04

Sep 27, 2014
pandpcamper said:
Welcome and thanks for sharing. You'll find some great lists here and on Pinterest. So much to learn and this is the place! It's amazing how well those little electric heaters can heat up the place. A couple of years ago my mom and dad stayed in my brother's HTT. It was funny to hear her talk about going camping on that trip for the first time ever, even tho my dad and my sibs went camping in different forms over the years. It was also her last time, but now she has that reference when talking to her grandkids.

We were getting home from work one day and my wife was going on and on about pinterest (as she often does). When I had some down time that day, I hopped on pinterest and checked out the pop up section and WOW. Needless to say, I'll start checking it.

sorry to hear about your mom. In the middle of all this, my most favorite thought is that of spending time with loved ones and sharing all these experiences.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I still haven't found the perfect solution yet in regards to the trip back and the space saver bag. I currently put everything in the space saver bag and try to squeeze as much air out as I can. When I'm home I take any sheets/pillowcases wash them put them back in the space saver bag along with the pillow and then vacuum it and put it in the trailer for the next trip. I am thinking about buying a small vacuum to keep in the TV but don't want to spend a lot of money so still researching.

3hooligans

Jul 27, 2014
Boston
jmkay1 said:
I still haven't found the perfect solution yet in regards to the trip back and the space saver bag. I currently put everything in the space saver bag and try to squeeze as much air out as I can. When I'm home I take any sheets/pillowcases wash them put them back in the space saver bag along with the pillow and then vacuum it and put it in the trailer for the next trip. I am thinking about buying a small vacuum to keep in the TV but don't want to spend a lot of money so still researching.
e

As for the space saver bag, try an air mattress pump, should be able to use that to remove a good portion of the air.

Me the missus and three hooligans
2014 rockwood premier 2317g
2012 F 150 super crew echo boost.

xgromx

1984 Sun Valley
May 18, 2008
OBX, NC
Sounds like you had and will have many more memorable trips. I grew up with popup trips and still have the same 84 Coleman. Take care of it, use it and open ot and clean even if your not useing it, It will last.