Outdoor Camp Kitchens.

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Fshrmon, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Fshrmon

Fshrmon New Member

Greetings.

In this off season, I've been researching and kicking around some ideas to tweak my kitchen set up. Currently, I have one of those inexpensive collapsable metal stands to hold a 2 burner stove, but our PUP came with a Coleman Guide 3 burner stove, which is fantastic, but it doesn't fit on my stove stand. Other than that I have the kitchen box with utensils, plates, cups, etc and then my two coolers (food & beverages.)

I mostly cook outside, along the side of the PUP. Some over the coals and new this year i'm going to pick up a dutch oven to add to the mix. We do own an Instant Pot that i've been kicking around bringing on our next trip as well.

I realize I'm totally all over the map here. Hence, why i'm inquiring to see what all of you do. If you have any photos of your setup that would be helpful too.

1) Do you use a folding table? If so, what kind?
    2) Do you run propane for your camp stove from the on board tank or do you use the little green bottles?

What is your set up like? What do you like and what would you tweak to your system/setup?

Cheers.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We use a folding table for both stoves. Not sure of the brand, but half of it is a table and the other half is a metal grid. We picked it up in Walmart a few years ago. We try to keep it as simple as possible. All the utensils are in a see thru Rubbermaid box. I have a 10 lb propane tank that I use specifically just for the stoves. Easier to carry around then the 20 lb tank and cheaper to fill than using all those little green bottles. The setup we use works for us, been doing it this way for about 10 years.

Here is the table we use (just found it)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime...g-Table-Light-Commercial-Pearl-80506/49408130

Sjm9911, PopUpSteve and Fshrmon like this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I use THIS table and use the green bottles.

Fshrmon likes this.
  4. Fshrmon

Fshrmon New Member

Thanks for the info.

What other ways are your kitchen's set up?

Ex. storage tips and tricks? set up tips and tricks? what's your kitchen camp luxury item(s) that you like to bring/use? What makes your camp kitchen 'just the way you like it'?

TIA.

5. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

I use the 2 ft by 4 ft table mentioned above and place my camp kitchen on it.
    18-All Open.JPG

Sjm9911 and Fshrmon like this.
  6. Fshrmon

Fshrmon New Member

That looks really cool. Did you build that? or where did you find it?

7. Econ

Econ Active Member

This depends more on your personality. To answer this ignores YOUR personality and describes mine.

I don't drive 700 miles round trip to sit around a camper. That can be done in my backyard. We are going places and doing things. Our camper is a base camp. We eat in the morning and sleep there. We are simple people. We don't complicate things. KISS

We are not going to get involved in time consuming activities like dutch ovens, etc. Go explore. Enjoy nature. When was the last time you took a thermos of coffee and watched sunrise? You can cook at home if that's how you get your thrills.

We are health food people. We don't cook for taste. WE eat to refuel. The majority will live a much shorter life caused by their poor dietary choices. I reversed severe Acid reflux by diet only.

We carry an old Coleman white gas stove, a quart of white gas, a backup propane stove, and the stove inside. Most sites have a picnic table. If not there is a TV dinner stand.

Good luck.

Remember, Keep It Simple

We don't eat after 1 PM

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we camp we are on the go! We wake up and cook a nice breakfast and off we go for the day! We usually come back to the camp site for dinner and then we go all out and make a nice dinner and sit and relax for the evening around a campfire that we started so we can cook dinner. Sometimes we cook dinner in the dutch oven, but we cook mostly on the grill over a wood fire. We also keep it simple when cooking meals. We don't have a patrol box for everything. We have a bin for the utensils as I mentioned before, and another bin for some of the other kitchen stuff. Everything has a place in the pup. We usually bring our dutch oven and our friends bring one as well. They are usually used mostly for making dessert. Meals are NOT a huge production, they might take on average of maybe an hour between prep and cooking. But we all help in prepping and cooking the meal. This way we can sit and relax afterwards.

9. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

10. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I added a high pressure line from my onboard tanks that feeds my coleman grill that hangs on the side of my pup. I have a campmate camp kitchen that sits on a folding 2 foot by 4 foot table sitting next to the stove table.

11. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Im with @Econ and @silvermickey2002
    I carry one 12x12 electric skillet and that is it. A few utensils, pair if tongs a spatula and a can opener.
    Breakfast is usually cold but I will occasionally cook bacon, sausage and pancakes. Lunch is always cold. Meat and cheese on crackers, sandwiches etc. Dinner is ways out at somewhere that we dont have at home.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

A lot will depend on where you camp. The campgrounds I favor don't really work for a cookspace next to the camper. The parking pads are separated from the sitting area - usually by trees or boulders.

So for me, hooking to the camper propane tanks won't work. If I use the grill, I use the green bottles.

I also rarely have electrical hookups. So no skillets, instant pots, microwaves, etc.

I mostly cook inside - it requires less stuff and set up. My FnR is hard sided and I'm a veggie, so I don't worry about smells permeating the trailer.

I like to cook when camping. But I also tend to keep things simple. I camp alone and do photography, so campfires aren't worth the hassle for cooking. Get the fire going, cook, eat, put out the fire so I can go take sunset photos, then come back to start another fire in a wet pit - just not worth it when I can turn on a gas burner or oven and cook, eat, go take photos.