outdoor carpet/mat

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by mkaczala, Jun 6, 2010.

1. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

walmart here as well we are on our third year with ours and is still holding up well

2. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Not meaning to Hijak this thread, but did anyone look at the 5th post here by "kensue49". If you scroll down their link to the bottom of the page, there is a very interesting Camper pictured.

POPUP or Travel Trailer?
    Has anyone seen or heard about these?

3. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Kind of cool, wonder what it is?

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I bought some indoor-outdoor carpet (not the grass stuff) off the roll at Home Depot and put it in the PUP. I bought enough extra to make an awning mat. It works great.

5. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

Just got my RV mat from Ebay. I really like mine and can't wait to use it. I think it will cut out a lot of the dirt that gets in the pop-up running in and out. Mine has the tie downs and carrying case with it too.

6. fire4effect97

fire4effect97 Russ & Shawna, DD1, DD2, DD3

I just bought the astro turf from Lowe's it works great and yes it does cut down on dirt in the pup.

apachejeep that is a cool looking trailer any ideas what its called I would like to se the floor plans.

7. kensue49

kensue49 I am Happiest when Camping

8. LynnAllen02

LynnAllen02 Active Member

We bought ours ages and ages ago, it was inexpensive and still going strong...when I searched for it the links I connected here prior to this said this product doesn't exist, found it though still there:

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/485105/catid/137/vname/Exercise_Pen_Ground_Covers

Description: Protect your pet from mud, grass stains, glass-all the problems of having an ex-pen outdoors Tightly woven tubular plastic provides a smooth scoopable surface for clean up of solids, yet allows liquids to pass through easily! Mildew is never a problem because the woven construction allows the water to drain Each mat is light and can be folded or rolled into a very compact size for easy storage

Searched for: Exercise Pen Ground Covers

We bought the 4' x 7' fits perfectly under our awning, for trip home we put two garbage bags around it, as usually pretty dirty...at home a quick hosing off returns it to clean and bright!

PS: our dog chooses to lie on it rather than cold ground, so its original use is also still good!

9. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

I didn't start this thread but I do want to thank you guys for all the input. After following the thread and doing my research, I decided to go with a 9X12 polyprop RV Mat (recommended by several of you) that I found on ebay. We tried it out over a 3-day weekend at Tsali Camp Ground and loved it. We'll be packing it with us from now on!

Here it is set up in Gnometown @ Tsali:
    [​IMG]

10. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

We had an old piece of that fake grass stuff and used it for years, can't find it now though. Reading your posts gave me some ideas so I can go looking now, here in Nevada it's mostly sand or dirt camping so I think I will do the astro turf thing again.

11. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Plus, that green indoor/outdoor stuff sweeps of easy too.

12. Beth

Beth Member

looking for a new "patio mat".....checked out the rvawnings site. from the comments i've read, the 6x9 is a little small. the 9x12 was the one i was leaning toward, but from the site (with shipping), the cost is over $80.
    checked out the ebay site, but can't tell if you can pick and choose which pattern you want.
    does anyone know how to find out what retail stores have these?
    (i looked at walmart.com, but didn't see any similar that were a comparable price. unless i was looking in the wrong place.)

thanks,
    beth

13. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

I have an indoor-outdoor rug that I bought at Costco...have to sweep it so it's not optimal but it's OK for now. Once I get good use out of it I'll most likely get a more porous RV mat.

I roll the rug and bungee it to the back bumper so it never goes inside the pop-up.

14. Beth

Beth Member

yep. we have a piece of that carpet from menards.....have to sweep it (and it doesn't sweep well!)...end up with dirt in the camper EVERY time!!...wanted to get something better~~~

beth

15. BillnSusan

BillnSusan Member

We had a small recycled plastic mat that we bought at a hardware store. It was too small, but otherwise a good product. So we recently ordered an RV reversible mat from Amazon. It was 9x12, folds up and has a carry case with handle that is lightweight and it fits back in the case easily. It was $49 plus $12 for shipping. They had different colors and we chose the blue wave pattern. We spread it out in the living room, and have a trip planned in 3 days. Can't wait to set it up. It is plastic woven, and washes clean with a hose. I think it was a bargain and very easy to order off Amazon. Rolled outdoor carpet might be cheaper, but it's also heavier and holds the dirt and water, whereas this type of material doesn't. I think it's worth the little extra to reduce the weight and have something easier to clean.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

It's interesting how people have such different experiences. Beth has problems with sweeping and dirt on her carpet and I have no such difficulties at all. The mat sweeps clean quite easily and I have very little dirt in the camper. (One factor may be that we never wear shoes into the PUP.)

BillnSusan says that the carpet is heavier than an RV mat. Gee, I lifted a few comparable-sized RV mats at WalMart and found them to be much heavier (and bulkier) than my little piece of carpet. It is true that if it gets wet it holds the water longer but that's no big deal for me. I usually roll it up and put it in the PUP for transport but if it is wet I just tie it to the rear bumper.

17. Krafty

Krafty New Member

It comes down to each their own. I can tell you that having a mat is better than not having one at all because we tried it. We now have the RV mat from Walmart.

18. hpdad

hpdad New Member

Got it from WM last week (4x6) for $20 but haven't used it yet.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Artificial-Grass-Carpet-Rug/11987712