Outdoor Carpet Storage

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by tabbs, Jul 15, 2015.

1. tabbs

tabbs New Member

I just purchased an 6' x 10' outdoor carpet. I love the feel of the carpet on my feet when I am out of the trailer, just sitting or bringing stuff out to the table, etc.

But I am not sure how to incorporate it into my take down, cleaning and storage so that I keep it clean and not track in dirt into the trailer.

I did see a cool exterior pipe system that would be perfect, but for now the carpet will need to go into the trailer.

Any advise? Do you shake and brush it off before you roll it up? What if it is muddy and wet? Is it more work than necessary? Should I just camp without the carpet?

2. brichtreefan

brichtreefan New Member

Just some ideas from my past. First is if you have a front storage compartment, that is the perfect spot for a rolled up carpet. If not, maybe fold the rug down to a size in which you can slide it into a garbage bag to lessen the debris that will come off of during transport. As far as cleaning, I usually just swept it off and folded it up. If it's wet and muddy, you may have to take it back out when you get home and spray it down. Then you can hang it over a railing or laundry line to allow to dry. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

When we started with our popup, we used a piece of outdoor carpet. I used to keep in in the front storage compartment. When it would rain, it got muddy, and stayed wet for a while. I then added the PVC pipe to the back bumper to keep it in. That worked ok, but the carpet was still messy. We ended up ditching the carpet and going with the outdoor mats, and have never regretted it. They are lighter and less bulky. When it rains, the water goes right through them. They clean up very easily too. We now have the Hybrid, and a bigger mat, and love it. Here is what we have.

http://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Patio-Mats-159187-Pattern/dp/B0042ZIT7U/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1436974495&sr=8-13&keywords=patio+mat

4. brichtreefan

brichtreefan New Member

I agree with Shelmily. I am now using the reversable mat too. I started with the green outdoor carpet years ago. It did the job at the time but did require more upkeep.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. jk70

jk70 Member

I second the patio mats. Got mine from CAMCO. Very easy to just sweep off and then we use it as a cushion for the PuP support posts and the bunk end supports so it won't scratch the floor. This is right inside the PuP door.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We sweep our two mats off prior to rolling them up and placing them in the trailer.. If the mats get covered in mud like out last trip out for the 2015 rally, we toss them into the back of the truck and hose them off, vacuum them and get them cleaned up for the next time..

7. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I used to blow it off with my 19.2v blower, sweep and roll. It was a PITA and dirty; especially it was tge last thing to be put away before pulling out. Now, I just fold it up and toss it in here:

[​IMG]

And I deal with it at home. Muddy, wet or dirty. No more worries. If you have a small very flat outdoor carpet, I would do the 5" sewer hose mod and call it good.

8. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

My daughter (11) made a beg for the rug out of sun tells material. We put the rug in there and it lays between the bunks. Unless it is soaking wet the it goes in the truck bed. Bag is great as it keeps the dirt contained.

Me the missus and three hooligans!
    2014 Rockwood Premier 2317g
    2012 Ford F150 super crew ecoboost
    2011 Honda Pilot

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I sometimes go with a very small mat for those weekend trips. I tried going without the mat but I ended up having to scrub my floors a whole lot more. For me I swept the mat and that was usually sufficient and put it inside the trailer. Now if it rained and the mat was very muddy I tried to clean it as best as I could or just threw it in my TV. So for me some sort of outdoor mat is needed especially if you have kids or dogs. I even had a mat just inside the door. I was looking at the PVC pipe mod, but my mat didn't roll very well and I was afraid I would struggle too much to pull it out. So on the floor it went. I do wish I had the outside storage bin.

10. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We have a 9x12 polly mat that we got at Wally World. I folds up nicely and we put it right in the door before we close up. if it happens to be a little wet, we just put it over the picnic table while we are packing up and usually it is dry enough to put in the camper. There have been only a handful of times that we have had to bring home and dry out

11. gruss

gruss Active Member

a mat is probably in our future, but we used the outdoor rugs, I just used a strap to cinch them to the A frame or the bumper if they were nasty....last trip though it was so wet and muddy I hucked it in the dumpster at Pokagon.

Which reminds me I need to find a new carpet or mat!

12. leahdan

leahdan New Member

We have a 6x9 outdoor mat that gets rolled up and fits perfectly in two old camp chair chair bags. It then goes on the folded dinette next to the galley and fits pretty well in ours.

13. ktsmom

ktsmom One Happy Camper!

The mat I have folds sort of like an accordion! I use the velcro'd straps that came with it to hold it together. It slides easily into my pop-up, right inside the door. It's actually one of the first things I pull out of my camper.

14. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

debating about getting the 9' x 12' or two 6' x 9' mats. I want to add Tube storage, so just thinking which route would be easier to roll up and fit in a tube. rolling the 12" mat, would it fit in a 6" pvc pipe?

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The polypropylene mats fold very well, they seem to retain a memory of the folds. Ours folds in half, which is when a lot of the dirt falls off, then a zig-zag folding pattern to finish. I haven't tried to roll our 6 x 9' one, but I think it would actually be more difficult to roll than to fold.
    If it is very wet, I just put it in a large garbage bag. The size we have will bend to fit into an odd space, such as next to,the flip-over sink in the pup.
    To try to roll the larger mat to fit into the tube, my thought is the issue would be getting a tight enough roll started.

16. webhannet

webhannet Member

94 D2 - When you die, can I have your storage box?