Outdoor grill propane hookup problem

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Brittany Alonso, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Brittany Alonso

Brittany Alonso Member

We would love to use our outdoor grill on our 1999 Coleman Fleetwood Niagara. However, after quite the struggle of getting the line connected, we have no propane flow. Any advice on where to start trouble shooting?

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

There is a low pressure regular on the Pup and the grill. You need to remove the regulator from the grill. If you do a search, there are threads that talk about this and what hardware you may need to connect the grill to the trailer.

3. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Not necessarily exactly true. Certain vintages of Colemans have a high pressure (16psi) port on the curbside. You can connect with a hose. I do.
    To the OP:
    Describe the "trouble of getting the line connected"". What does this mean?
    Does your trailer have the high pressure port on the curbside? What kind of connection is it? Is is a screw on? Or is it a quick connect?
    If you have a high pressure port (screw connector) your propane set up should look like this:
    Up front, you should have a line gong from the tank to a single, red regulator, then out of that should be a tee. One leg of the tee should go to your (usually straight down) regular, two stage regulator, and then inside to your cooktop, refrigerator, water heater, and furnace.
    The other leg of tee should be perpendicular to the main flow (usually to the left, the curbside), this line goes to the high pressure port on the aft curbside.

Many Coleman/Fleetwood owners bypass this when maintaining/repairing/modifying their trailers. The PO of mine did in order to have an auto changeover regulator. In doing so, he sacrificed the high pressure outside stove.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

What kind of grill are you trying to hook up? As indicated above, what type of exterior connection do you have?

5. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Lots of variables and methods here. After considering several, I just put a Y adapter on the propane tank itself, and plug my grill directly into the high pressure side. That way I don't have to muck with removing the regulator, and the grill still works with 1 lb propane bottles if I want it to.

6. Bruce Elder

Bruce Elder New Member

Hi Brittany, our '96 Palomino has lines from the regulator that run under the trailer to the furnace and the stove position. These lines both have an inline shut-off valve under the trailer where the pass through a frame rail. Maybe you've got a hidden valve too.

7. Mitchell Porter

Mitchell Porter New Member

Mine didn't work. Went to Walmart, bought a replacement hose for a gas grill, hook directly to a propane tamk. And I can move the stove around and cook.

8. Werner

Werner VE4UA Silver Supporting Member

Hi...just wanted to mention that on our 2007 Starcraft PUP we had a RVQ bbq that came with the trailer...it has a bracket and hose connection on the outside of the trailer, however I had no propane until I went under the trailer, just past the steps and found a cutoff valve for the propane to the bbq......Once I turned this, I had propane to the bbq.....I dont know if yours has this kind of cutoff valve, but something to check for also, if your at your wits end.....

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If you have a low pressure quick disconnect fitting, there should be a small shut off lever right on the fitting.. it is possible that the lever has disappeared..

10. bronsta

bronsta New Member