Outdoor sink question

ErinG

Jul 3, 2021
Hubs just got me an outdoor sink and I’m so excited bc we don’t have one in our pup (we removed it during the remodel and liked the space so got rid of it). I need help on how to drain it though. Currently we go to a lot of local campsites and just tossing it out in the woods from a drain bucket isn’t an option. I was hoping to find a way to attach it to the sewer hookup but that’s proving to be a little difficult bc the hose it drains down is actually more of a tube. I’ll attach a picture. The last campsite we went to didn’t have a gray water dump station and I’d rather not have to deal with that whole debacle again. If you look you can see the type of drain hose that comes with the table in the right u details of the table. Thanks!! 6CB41FA3-6C07-4580-8E95-548BB81336B1.jpeg

SandyZ

Aug 5, 2022
I got a sewer cap that has a hose hook up and just run the water right into the sewer at camp site. Could 71LplM1P0yL._AC_SX679_.jpg 41WreyQPJEL._AC_.jpg
You could attach a longer sewer hose to the end if the sink is on the opposite side of Popup.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We bought the sewer cap with hose connection, when we first bought our TT. (We had removed the sink in both of our popups). We've never used it. For one thing, we often don't have sewer hookups. Another is that having the draining angle good so small amounts, such as you'd be having with the sink set-up, just drain down can be a challenge. (We've learned to live within the capacity of our waste tanks, I have no idea how we'd actually use that cap these days.)
We have always had a gray water bucket, these days, it's a kitty litter bucket. We empty it as soon as we're done with dishes or whatever. We don't boondock (camp outside of established cmapgrounds) and there is usually a disposal sump, sink, or else we use the toilets. If we needed a covered one, I'd probably use a dedicated water jug, such as Reliance, well-marked (!).

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Five gallon pail dumped in the shower?

DW and I do the dishes right on the back bumper of our TT, cold water in a dishpan. I don't catch anything with a sink, we dump that wash water into the woods or grass. I do this in a KOA, in a private camp, in National Parks... I have a garden hose & sprayer which I plumbed into my TT water source - with great success.

Wacky

Jun 3, 2015
Hubs just got me an outdoor sink and I’m so excited bc we don’t have one in our pup (we removed it during the remodel and liked the space so got rid of it). I need help on how to drain it though. Currently we go to a lot of local campsites and just tossing it out in the woods from a drain bucket isn’t an option. I was hoping to find a way to attach it to the sewer hookup but that’s proving to be a little difficult bc the hose it drains down is actually more of a tube. I’ll attach a picture. The last campsite we went to didn’t have a gray water dump station and I’d rather not have to deal with that whole debacle again. If you look you can see the type of drain hose that comes with the table in the right u details of the table. Thanks!! View attachment 89238
For my indoor sink, I attached a cut hose to the sink drainage hole (it is threaded) and let it drin into one of those collapsible water containers.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Five gallon pail dumped in the shower?

DW and I do the dishes right on the back bumper of our TT, cold water in a dishpan. I don't catch anything with a sink, we dump that wash water into the woods or grass. I do this in a KOA, in a private camp, in National Parks... I have a garden hose & sprayer which I plumbed into my TT water source - with great success.
When we first began camping 30+ years ago, broadcasting gray water over vegetation was pretty standard, at least in public campgrounds. (We never stayed in a private campground of any sort for probably 15 years.) These days, more and more are prohibiting that, as places are being loved to death. In part, it's so animals don't dig up the interesting smelling food residue. Partly because they don't want grease, etc. tossed across the land. While some may say they're careful, not everyone is.
We now have the advantage of a 30 gallon gray tank, which we can eke out for 8 nights, since we don't use the shower in the TT. However, if we cook and wash dishes outside, we still prefer to take the gray water to the disposal site if there is one, especially on longer stays.

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
I use a similar type of sink. I removed the drain hose it came with and this trap screws right onto the bottom of the drain then gives a male garden hose connection. I have a short hose that goes to a 5 gallon bucket when we don’t have sewer hookups or a full length hose to an adapter when we do. The only other piece of the puzzle that’s necessary for the sewer hookup is a vent. A garden hose Y and length of hose works ok, but I built one out of 3/4” pvc and it works way better.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I use a 7 gal Aquatainer for exterior sink drains. I have one dedicated so it never gets confused with a freshwater one. Once full it is easy to toss in the car and take it to the bathroom or to a vacant site with sewer hookups.