Outer Banks, NC - Anyone Been?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dodger, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Dodger

Dodger New Member

My family and I are headed to the Outer Banks in August in our Coleman Utah.

Any suggestions on a campground? Look like a number of them but they also look pretty 'tight' and bare. We'd prefer something a little nicer if possible.

Any other suggestions would be welcome too!

And thanks!

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Nicer means expensive. Cape Hatteras KOA at Rodanthe, Cape Hatteras RV Resort, Ocean Waves. You should consider Cape Woods and Frisco Woods or even Rodanthe Watersports and Campground

3. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Depends on where you want to camp down in Rodanthe there are campgrounds but they are in-between Nags head area and the lower area. If you want to stay close to Nags Head area check out http://www.therefuge-roanokeisland.com/ or http://www.obxcampground.com/. They are close to everything. I have not stayed at each other but have driven thru both of them.

4. jeicher

jeicher Member

Stayed at The Refuge on Roanoke Island a couple of years ago . While it is setup more for large units, the campground was was attractive, clean, and conveniently located. Nearby small town of Wanchese has a couple of off-the-beaten-track good fish restaurants and just to the north is historical Maneto and Nags Head is about 5 miles to the east
    Coincidentally, I was given a campsite next to another Aliner (birds of a feather....).
    [​IMG]

PointyCamper and hvac1877 like this.
  5. deco-one

deco-one New Member

The KOA in Rodanthe is very nice and freshly renovated - I've camped there many, many times since the early 80's. Has a very nice multiple pool & waterslide complex, campstore, snack bar and its right on the beach. Downside is - its over $100 per night and can be very crowded. Campsites are cramped and too close together.
    I definitely would NOT recommend Frisco Woods! It has gone downhill the last few years and it was never great anyway. Lots of raucous partys all night. Very dirty, extremely rude staff, everything in disrepair and mosquito hell.
    The National parks in Hatteras & Ocracoke aren't bad, but no hookups. In August, you're looking at a blast furnace daily in the Outer Banks unless its stormy - you'll want that AC.
    Last - stay away from a restaurant called 'The Froggy Dog' in the Avon / Salvo area. Service & food are unbelievably awful - I have no clue how it stays in business.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

There is the national sea shore, there are several CG one just 5 or so miles south of nags head, and a few mor south. I don't think any have electric. They have a lot of space.

7. Drvred

Drvred Member

Teeters in Ocracoke is decent, hookups and fairly nice bathrooms with showers.
    About $40 a night, I prefer that over the NPS, because I have to have A/C in the summer.

8. speckhunter80

Actually they are in the process of installing electric at the NPS campground...they have about 15 done and powered up

9. DanLee

DanLee Member

Has anyone camped in the OBX, specifically the NPS campgrounds, in the fall? I'm thinking about October.

10. Drvred

Drvred Member

I just made reservations at Ocracoke NPS for the weekend of October 25-28.
    The weekend of the Pirate Festival, this year is the 300th anniversary of Blackbeard's death.
    The ferries are all flying Blackbeard's flag this summer.

11. speckhunter80

FYI, October is high on the Tropical weather meter....

12. Drvred

Drvred Member

If a Tropical storm or Hurricane occurs, the max you are out is $38.