Outfitting your pup on a budget

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Norfolk, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

It is tempting to hit camping stores and Wallyworld when you're outfitting your pup for the first time, but a little planning and a little patience can help you save a LOT of money. Thrift stores, yard sales, craigslist and freecycle are great places to find all the goodies on your list. Toaster-ovens, small microwaves, coffee makers, pots and pans, etc.. can be found for just a couple bucks each. Similar savings can be found on dishes and tableware, as well as traditional camping gear such as sleeping bags, cook stoves, and lanterns.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Could not agree more! But, we have not purchased any of our stuff at garage/yard sales. Sometimes we drive by and all we see is kids clothing and toys in this area.

But, we do pay attention to what goes on sale and if we need it we will get it then. For example, we needed to get a larger diameter gray water hose. I went to Home Depot and purchased what they call remnant hose by the manufacturers and they come in different lengths, like 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 feet. I picked up a 25' hose for 5 bucks. Can't beat that. Who cares if it not a gray hose, green is nice too!!

We also have purchased stuff from WalMart online and have it shipped to the store, which is free of charge!!

3. Kdugan

Kdugan Member

We stopped by our local good-will this past weekend and found a potty for 10 bucks! a new one at wally world is 70.00 :) and it still had the original paper work :) We also got an out door rug for 15 bucks!! and it was fun to too [:D]

4. ilovecamping

ilovecamping New Member

My DGD and I were yard saling Friday afternoon and at the first stop they had silverware, toaster oven, dishes, a set of pans, curtains and I believe bedding. Although our camper is already fully stocked I couln't help but think of what good buys for someone just getting started. I didn't see our neighbors that evening or I would have sent them down there as they just bought a used pup and need everything.