Outlets on Battery Power

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by mubadub, May 27, 2016.

1. mubadub

mubadub New Member

Are the interior outlets supposed to work when you are on battery power? Sorry. I'm a noob!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

No, the AC outlets only work when connected to shore power.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

No, they don't - and don't worry, you're not the first, nor will you be the last to ask.

Think of the outlets in your pup as the end of a strange extension cord. One end must be plugged into power to provide it at the outlet end.

4. mubadub

mubadub New Member

Thanks for the info! I gathered it was something like that.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I have two 120VAC multi-drop tap locations in my POPUP that is connected to a 600WATT PSW POWER INVERTER AIMS AMAZON that is run from the battery. This is my emergency 120VAC source of power when camping off the power grid for running the HDTV and several other small 120VAC things for charging cellphone WX radio, computers etc...

You have to beef up your batteries some to use something like this...

I have one location on the back of a table near where the Home entertainment items are located and the other location is near the front tent bed area where we sleep all the time...

My 600WATT Power Inverter is ON all the time and only draws a small amount of residual DC power when not being used for something... I started out with 150WATTS and kept increasing the size as we continued to add to it haha... Pretty neat to have around... Runs my 120VAC electric coffee abeam grinder too which is real important to have...

My Power Inverter is a PURE sine wave model so I don't have to ever worry about someone burning up something that the other MODIFIED sine wave models may do... $159 AMAZON...

Roy Ken

Maycat likes this.
  6. woodworkerfella

woodworkerfella Member

Hi Roy,

Great post. Would you mind putting live amazon links for some of your items you mentioned?

Thanks!

7. ADK Explorer

ADK Explorer Member

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if the Rockwood/ Flagstaff heated mattresses run on AC or DC? Will the work when not connected to shore power?

8. roybraddy

woodworkerfella -

I always search with GOOGLE search - Just type in anything you want to know about and have the last word being AMAZON haha...

This is what you get with '600WATT PSW POWER INVERTER AIMS AMAZON'

AIMS Power (PWRI60012S) 600W Pure Sine Power Inverter with Cables

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/AIMS-Power-PWRI60012S-Inverter-Cables/dp/B007KDDSXQ

Dang their price is down to $110 now and says TEMP OUT OF STOCK.... Guess that probably means they are about to drop the line haha... I see the AIMS home site also is out of stock...

I have been using mine since around 2009 I think it has been... Been a very good Power Inverter for me...

Roy Ken

9. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

AC/no

10. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Just a safety note to add. (At least on my older Flagstaff Cobra). If shore power is plugged in the AC outlets are ALWAYS hot. Other than a blown fuse they are always on if plugged in. MY converter had a three way toggle switch. Battery/Off/Converter. No matter which way it was configured the AC outlets were on. So be careful and check with a voltmeter if you attempt to do any work while plugged in to shore power.

Phoodieman

11. ADK Explorer

ADK Explorer Member

Thank you

12. Abuela-PopPop

Abuela-PopPop New Member

So the outlets need shore power! Great to hear! I thought something was wrong! I'm soooooo happy right now I wish there was a dancing icon!!! [:D] [:D] [:D]

Maycat likes this.
  13. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Most electronics run off of DC current. Going thru the 12V DC > 120V AC and then back to 12vDC has a lot of power loss. You can get 12V power adapters for most things.

If your TV has a the AC/DC converter that is in line with the power cord, then swing buy radio shack and get a 12v plug for it. There is also a lot of 12v plugs for laptops. Along with cellphone and weather radio chargers.

That way you can save the juice for the morning coffee. :D

14. Milehifireguy

Milehifireguy New Member

ROYBraddy, I'm interested in finding out more on how your AC/DC inverter is set up.... I'm looking at ways to have the 110v outlets be run from the battery and then use solar to recharge the battery and your set up might work... I was looking at this inverter model: SUNFORCE 11240 1000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Remote Control AMAZON

15. roybraddy

I elected to go the easy way out and have my 600WATT PSW Power Inverter installed as close to the main battery switch as possible.

Then I run two multi-head Extension cords from the two Power Inverter receptacles with one going to the home entertainment area and the other one going to a table near our bed...

These extension cords multi head are attached to the back of a table and has its own ON-OFF switch...

[​IMG]

What you are interested in I think is to use your existing 120VAC outlets inside your trailer when one Shore Power or when just on the Batteries. This gets more involved as you will need to split the 120VAc Power from the Power Inverter and the Shore Power cables with a manual switch or an electrical change over switch to select which system is providing power.

It was just much easier for us to just plug into an Emergency Power Source then to re-wire the trailer...

Most folks just want to watch HDTV and run some small wattage 120VAC items like computer or cell phone chargers - maybe a small fan etc...

The larger 120VAC wattage items will need a very large Power Inverter which will then require a very large battery bank to operate it. This starts getting expensive real quick - Got to draw the line somewhere haha... Just to do all of this to run a Coffee Maker for five minutes is insane to me haha... Running the Air conditioner and high wattage fancy Microwave is also not doable very easy from a 12VDC Power Inverter setup...

My 600WATT PSW Power inverter is even over kill for us. We only use about half of its AC output power to do the bare minimum basics we want to have available when on Battery Power only...

Here is a neat link on another forum that has a good info that might interest you...
    http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f12/switch-for-converter-29741-2.html

Roy Ken

16. Milehifireguy

Milehifireguy New Member

Thanks Roy! I was also thinking of doing it your way too. All I'd be running is a coffee maker, phone chargers, small laptop and maybe a small microwave so a smaller watt inverter might be ok. Also looking at a solar setup to recharge the battery so i don't have to fire up the generator as much or at all, same reason for the inverter to run some AC items. Another question... is your inverter mounted near the converter or closer to your battery box? my battery is located on the tongue and converter box under the dinette about 10-12 feet farther away. What would you recommend? thanks

17. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Targus (and many other brands) make 12V laptop chargers.
    http://targus.com/us/laptop-car-charger-dc-apd33us

Anker makes a 5 port 12v phone charger. They also make Quick Charge 3, 2 port chargers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Anker-5-Port-Charger-PowerDrive-iPhone/dp/B00OHE8AOI?ie=UTF8&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B00OHE8AOI&linkCode=as2&m=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=1-10&tag=ianker-20

My scout troop uses the Coleman coffeemaker that goes on a propane burner.
    http://www.coleman.com/camping-coffeemaker/2000015167.html#start=3

I have no clue on how makes a good 12v microwave that is not crazy priced.