Output of battery charger?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by razcob, May 11, 2018.

1. razcob

razcob Member

I need to get a battery for my 2012 Aliner 12 and am considering mounting an AGM battery inside instead of on the tongue.

Does anyone know the output voltage of the battery charger? Some AGM batteries need higher voltage to properly recharge. Also, is the battery charger output the same while driving with the 7 pin connected as shore power?

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Brand and model of converter would go a long way toward answering the output question.

3. razcob

razcob Member

Thanks for your reply. I called Aliner and they said it was a WFCO 8735 13.6 to 14.4.

Ill have to check to see what batteries will accomodate this charge. I have already been through this with Odyssey batteries, which require more voltage.

4. Fless

Fless Active Member

No, it would be a coincidence if it is the same, since the charging source is different. While driving and charging through the 7-pin connector, your Tow Vehicle (TV) supplies and determines the charging voltage and current.
    _

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

In my opinion AGM is not a good choice for a camper. The extra money really doesn't give you anything. I have my fireproof pants on so comments welcome.

theseus and NMroamer like this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Ditto

theseus likes this.
  7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

And you will experience a shorter life than with a wet cell battery

theseus likes this.
  8. tombiasi

A concern is that AGM batteries do not take well to over charging. If your TV is charging while you drive it could over charge the AGM.

9. razcob

razcob Member

According to the WFCO 8735 specs. The power box is over current, temperature, and voltage protected.

http://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8735-35-amp/

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The power from the 7pin isn't meant for heavy duty charging anyways. It's meant to make up what you may lose running the refrigerator on DC while driving and to keep the battery up enough to activate the breakaway switch.

I agree with the others that you aren't going to get your money's worth out of an AGM battery vs. a true deep cycle wet cell.

Fless likes this.
  11. tombiasi

The charger may be protected against those things but that doesn't say it will charge the battery correctly.

12. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Also a point to consider, unless you are planning on leaving your camper connected to shore power when it is in storage, you'll have to remove the battery so you can maintain it for those periods when you aren't camping.

I'll be honest, I used to worry about battery theft. Then I realized that the most likely scenario is theft while the camper is in storage, not while camping...

13. mark30

mark30 Member

Leaning towards getting a 100 Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery from a manufacturer such as Battle Born Batteries for my Aliner. Higher up front cost, but the battery may last the entire life of the camper (e.g., 30 years, but time will tell). While the Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry is currently considered to be one of the safest lithium battery chemistries, one limitation is the need to remove the battery during winter storage as the battery needs to remain warmer than the -20 deg. C (-4 deg. F) minimum storage temperature to avoid freezing of the battery's electrolyte. Apparently, the camper's converter will charge the lithium battery to about 90% of its full capacity (good to extend the battery's life). The lithium battery can also be charged through solar when camping off grid.

shuang2 likes this.