Outside rail mounted stove

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Harwell2610, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Harwell2610

Harwell2610 New Member

My PUP only has the outside grill which is pretty much useless for me. Are there any aftermarket items that will attach to the rail outside? Or is this just crazy talk? I don't want to cook inside my camper...

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I've yet to really see a complete aftermarket indoor/outdoor stove unit. You could get an Atwood Wedgewood unit, and build a wooden box around it, and then mount the universal rail to it. I've taken my stove apart several times, and that is essentially all it is.

3. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Here is what I did. Got a low pressure cooktop and made one. Use it a lot.

[​IMG]

4. buildintechie

buildintechie Member

My camper came with a trash can that hangs on the rail. Really handy!

[​IMG]

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Ok, that is nice!!! I like the fact that it is off the ground. Is that a flip up cover on it as well?

6. buildintechie

buildintechie Member

Yup. It came from the pup's PO. It's a trash can from Wally World, and it looks like they just screwed a piece of metal C channel (from Lowes/HD) to the top. They also stuck a picnic table cloth holder downer (big metal c-ish shaped piece) upside down on the lid, so you can lift the lid up with a finger.

Sorry for all the non-technical terms...I've been up all night, my brain is offline.

7. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

I have a BBQ which goes on mine. Perfect height for cooking on.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I've seen people who have bought or removed the railer from the back of the stove and mounted it to a shelf, a box containing a radio (also doubled as a shelf), garbage can like above almost anything can be mod'ed to fit the rail..

9. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I like the trash can idea..... sep'n I wouldn't leave it hanging here overnight while camping in bear country.

I kept the metal bracket when we sold our p'up and attached a decent sized wooden cutting board to it for future use

10. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I had the RVQ for our SunValley.

We used the RVQ and I made a table that attached to the RVQ frame. It just snapped onto the frame, lightweight and didn't take up much room.

Great for the electric skillet for cooking breakfast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

It sounds like you are looking to mount a stove on that rail, what is your make and model? plus post a pic of your rail.
    You might be able to buy an outside stove that will fit on the existing rail and be able to use the current bbg gas line.

12. Igoo65

Igoo65 Member

Harwell2610,
    I have a suggestion that goes a different route about cooking outside. When I bought my Fleetwood Niagara it didn't have the outside cooktop, so the guy threw in a Camp Chef two burner stove. I set it up at a 90 degree angle to the camper and it plugs into the campers propane port. It works great and has room for several pots and pans.
    Here is a link to Camp Chef.
    http://www.campchef.com/stoves/two-burner-stoves.html

Just another suggestion.
    Igoo65

13. Pop Upp

Pop Upp New Member

Right at the spot where that rail is, is where I put a high prep table in front of the rail and that is where I do all our food prepping. So for us sadly the rail is not functional.

14. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

I did the same as jrclocks! I found an old tv tray at Goodwill and attached it to the bbq rail. I don't like to attach the stove or bbq. Seems too close and too heavy for the side. However, I may change to the garbage pail idea. Thanks buildintechie for the photo and idea.

15. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

The low pressure stove supplied with our Aliner is mounted in a large heavy plastic base for inside or outside. We cook outside and prefer high pressure, so we don't really like the OEM stove as it is affected by the wind.

We have a small (shown) and a larger folding table that we use for food prep in that area, as the outside gas outlet is behind the right tire. We just set the stove assembly on a table and plug in the hose. On our camping trip to Northern MN last week, we decided to bring our vintage Coleman stove from now on.

I like the trash can idea, but it would block a luggage door that I use a lot. I might make a small shelf to put the coffee pot on though.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      148.7 KB
      Views:
  16. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

17. gruss

gruss Active Member

Will the Camp Chefs just plug into the low pressure line on the side of the camper? I looked up some instructions and seems like it would, looks like they just come with a regulator that goes on the propane tank. So worst case need to put on a quick connect or something?

Been looking at finding something other than the fire hazard commonly known as the sidekick grill. Love the convenience but you cant make anything with any grease in it.

18. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I had a grill that I got from the previous owner and tried it mounted to the side twice. As you note, can't cook anything that has any grease in it. We use our low pressure stove outside and do all of our cooking out there. It mounts directly to our rail. I also added a second rail next to the other one and have a 2' x 4' table mounted to that that works great for holding food and so on and we use it for washing dished at after the meal. We don't have any problems cooking on our low pressure stove, the only issue there really is is that the wind screens don't go all the way down so wind can get under them, but this is an easy mod to fix it. I like cooking outside on the stove. If we need to grill, we use a small charbroil grill with disposable cylinders that works great.

19. PDieter

PDieter Member

maybe an idea spark here ( I mounted my own rail on the pup/table end and box cabinet)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Harwell2610

Harwell2610 New Member