** Outside rug? **

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Rhconcepts, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Im looking for a cheap lightweight area rug. I would like it to be the size of the awning area but being so long how do you pack it up for travel?

[​IMG]

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The polypropylene patio rugs accordion fold and travel well. I've found the 6 x 9 ones we've had for under $30, and seen 9 x 12 ones for not much more. They hose off and dry well too. They come in some fairly large sizes. I bought them on Amazon and eBay, Camping World had the 9 x 12 on sale last week, and Walmart usually has that size as well.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Take a look at your local Wally Mart, Big K, HD and Lowes.. perfect time of the year.. We have two out door mats, one is a plastic poly weave (looks like a bamboo weave mat but is plastic) we have used for close to 10 years now. The other is a very similar style but has a backing on it, this backing actually is a pain in the butt since it doesn't let water or dirt pass through and just sucks up the mud. The poly weave mat is much easier to hose off..

4. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

As far as folding and traveling well, they are about the size of a small bed pillow, so mine goes into the front storage compartment with the dining canopy, camping chairs, tools linx levelers etc. Ours is eight years old and though starting to fray, is still doing the job.

I don't know why some people prefer the astroturf rugs.

MaeKay likes this.
  5. RetAF

RetAF Member

Yep, the plastic weave RV mats are the way to go. Been using them for 12 years and would never go back to astroturf. The RV mats are lightweight, easy to clean and easy to pack.

6. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Wow maybe I was looking in the wrong section in Walmart. I didn't see anything that could fold up. I didn't look by the outdoor stuff I was looking by the mates where the pillows and blankets were.

Is this what I should be looking at and would this fold up or would I need to roll it only?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/reversible-greek-motif-patio-mat-9-x-12-coffee-brown/82058

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be folded... if not roll it up and either lay it inside on the floor when packing up or do the carpet/mat storage tube mod.. several examples can be found here on the Portal..

If looking in Walmart or any other store look in the garden section or in the automotive section..

Might want to check this place out.. haven't dealt with them but they have lots of mats...

https://www.rvawningmats.com/

8. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

we have the plastic rv mat. it's stored in a plastic "under the bed" style storage tray. i also put my rubber shower mat in there. this way the dirt and sand doesn't get all,over the inside.

9. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

The previous owners of my pup gave me their rug, and I fold it on the floor of my pup -- with a little going up the cabinets. It protects my floor/cabinets from my folding cook table and camp chairs when travelling.

10. kitphantom

The patio mats at Walmart are usually in the RV area of the automobile section. At the one we usually go to, they are on the lowest shelf, and some times of year are usually out of stock. They had several the other day.
    When I started to look for one for our first pup, finding the search terms that would bring up what I wanted was a challenge. Usually "patio mat" and "polypropylene" are helpful.

MaeKay likes this.
  11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

We use both. Lately, we have saved the RV mat for the beach and we use a 6' x 9' piece of outdoor carpet for the rug under our awning. It helps a lot to cut down on dirt and we also have a smaller dirt collecting rug that we use right in the in front of the door. IT keep most all of the dirt outside of the camper.

12. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I just had to read this thread ....

Now I went and ordered a rug. For the 34 years that I've been an adult, I've been perfectly fine with a tarp outside the tent or camper. This place is like an infomercial. And I'm so easily swayed. [LOL]

14. karley020

karley020 Member

Chloe likes this.
  15. p

p Active Member

FYI - Rolled up,and put on back number with bungee chords

16. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Has anyone ever gotten the fold marks out of one of these folding mats? I have tried laying mine out in 90 degree sun and rolling it up tightly for a month without results. I would like it to look flat. Maybe DW hair dryer!!!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I got mine from LOWES....

For a long time I was using a 6X9 size under the awning with a hall way size runner going out to where my truck was parked...
    [​IMG]
    Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

18. Ed L

Ed L New Member

We've used sun shade fabric from HD and it seems to work fairly well, plus it's pretty lightweight and folds up fairly small. It also lets water through (which can be good or bad, I guess). Comes in 6x20ft rolls so you can either cut a smaller 6 foot wide one or stitch two halves together for a 10x12.

19. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

I got mine from Lowes as well. It's a nice little size and I added a tube to the back bumper for storage-I put a broom and the awning tie downs in there too.

Attached Files:

MaeKay likes this.
  20. kitphantom

Ours have been flat enough to not be trip hazards. The fold marks make it easier to fold it back up. It's been great for us to be able to fold the rug up and stuff it in a garbage bag if it's wet or dirty when we break camp.
    I've seen similar rugs sold rolled up, but finding space to transport one would be interesting for us. We now have a tube on the back bumper, but it's for the sewer hose, no space to add another one.