1. nectarsis

nectarsis New Member

I see a ton of people using BIG indoor area rugs outside their PUPs/RVs. Besides the obvious "dry back at home", how do you deal with rain? i mean these get crazy heavy when wet, harder to roll, plus the water leakage on the way home.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

There all plastic and dont absorb water. There not like the outdoor ones you buy at home depot. They dry fast.

xxxapache and DiamondGirl like this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The polypropylene ones actually dry pretty quickly. If it's wet when it's time to break camp, we drape it over the picnic table or something, and it will be dry enough to pack unless it's raining at the time. If it is too wet or dirty, it will fit in a plastic bag until we get home. We have stuck with the 6 x 9 size, that's large enough for outside the camper. We actually have two of that size, so we can use one in the shade/rain shelter. They fold like an old-fashioned road map, rolling not necessary. Even in a plastic bag, one fit nicely in the pup when folded down. These days, we tend to transport them in the bed of the truck.
    We sometimes use our jugs of extra water as weights to hold them in place, hard to use stakes in many places we camp.
    The polypropylene ones can be found at Walmart, RV stores, Amazon, eBay. An example of a larger size:https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Large-Reversible-Outdoor-Patio/dp/B00KQPOSQ6/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1092UZCRBPA51&dchild=1&keywords=camco+patio+mat&qid=1594407915&sprefix=camco+patio,aps,221&sr=8-7

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

I must admit, until I joined the popupportal I had never seen outdoor rugs

5. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

RV mat/rugs (polypropylene version are similar to drinking straws material) are wonderful to use. They come in different sizes and colors. They are lightweight and easy to maintain. I sweep mine periodically during the camping trip. We rinse ours between each camping trip with the power washer or water hose. But you can rinse them at your convenience. I’m OCD about rinsing mine. My RV mat has lasted four years of use so far. Its a 9x12. You can find them at Walmart in the RV section. I got mine from Amazon in a specific color that matches my Aliner.

I want to buy a bigger size when I go to the dark side someday.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

We just got a 9x12 carpet from amazon. Had an "astroturf" one that came from costco, but that did absorb water a lot...also collected every bit of dirt and dog hair in a 3 mile radius lol. Glad to be rid of it.

But seriously the poly carpets are great at helping to keep dirt, rocks, and sand outside, especially with 3 kids.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  7. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

yep - we use a big polypropylene one - it is the length of our camper. it is a bit hard to handle due to the size, but it is lightweight, dries fast and we like it alot. keeps the dirt out of the camper and makes it nice to walk around under the awning in your stocking feet (or slippers)..

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I thought these were stupid until I got one. We even take it tent camping now. :) They are especially nice when it's raining.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Some people want their campsite to look like home, I want mine to look like a campsite.

bobinfleet likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dont knock it till ya tried it! It does make a diffrence, especially if you have kids.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  11. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Yes we have a rug from Home Depot for outside campers. Keeps the mud out.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Thanks but I'll pass.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. This is what I did. They work great tent camping. I actually use it under my tent with "patio" space in front. Never had a problem about rain water. as an added bonus if the ground is frozen it adds a good layer.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

Got a camping mat late last season. Changed our camping experience for the better. Would never tow the trailer without it now!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We have one from Costco. I got it a couple years ago. Mine is the green kind. I like it, gets staked out in front of the camper and under the awning. It really helps soften the feel of rocks and uneven ground while you are moving around the kitchen, and helps keep a lot of the dirt out as well.

I am thinking about changing to one o fthe woven style ones though. Mine does a good job of catching dirt in it, so it needs a pretty solid thrashing every trip before rolling it up.

16. akriot

akriot Active Member

We have a piece of outdoor carpet. We use it when there is dirt and sand next to the pad. If there is grass...no need. The grands like to play on the carpet. We store ours in a PVC pipe mounted on the back bumper (bumper is reinforced to frame) so if it is wet or muddy we just roll it up and clean it up when we get home. Works pretty well.