Outside Shower Setup Advice

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Palomino Jeff, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Palomino Jeff

Palomino Jeff New Member

Hi...my old Palomino doesn't have a water heater or anything, so with the new campsite guidelines I'm planning an outside shower tent.
    I was thinking about getting a water heater like the
    Camp Chef HWD5 Triton Water Heater
    ...but would really like to know more about how people are setting these up, what I might need to really make it work as a shower.
    Looking at these portable hot water heaters, it's hard to get a grip on where/how to hook up the propane and how far from the water hookup I can be, do I need to build a stand for the heater...if anyone has mastered this with a simple popup, I'd be grateful for some advice before buying! Thank you!

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

First off check with the campgrounds you are going to to see if they are allowed. Many places do not want gray water running on the ground.

We used a much simpler system, the Coleman five gallon solar showers. Cheap and we would just leave one out for each person.

firepit and Palomino Jeff like this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

If you're going to use your own shower tent, you should have a way to collect the gray water. I got a little inflatable kiddie pool which fits inside the shower tent and then use a drill pump to drain that into my gray water tank.

Jimbow and Palomino Jeff like this.
  4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Agree...In Nebraska during restrictions you had to have a gray water factory tank attached to your camper or it was a no go.
    And they were checking.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

It's interesting how disposal of gray water has changed over the years.

At state parks here in the 70's early 80's everyone would have a short section of hose connected to the trailers outlet fitting and gray water went on the ground. It was common practice.

Then it became a big taboo.

Now you have a lot of areas of the country that recently started mandating plumbing systems in new homes that separate the gray water into a tank, which you then use to water the lawn and landscaping.

I've been to state parks with gray water receptacles scattered around the campground. In OH I've seen stone sinks for lack of a better description. Dump your gray water in, and it goes to a pipe that discharges out into the woods 20' away. Same deal in WV and TN except it goes into a gravel filled sump beside the thing. Out of sight out of mind.

Palomino Jeff likes this.
  6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

If I build a new home I would like to drain the shower to the outside for irrigation. But it would be on my property. Knowing people, sharing the ground and have grey water running anywhere will cause challenges between camp sites.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have seen a couple people who used those instant water heater units. Most were mounted on some sort of a wooden frame that was either attached temporarily to the exterior of the pup, or on an easel type structure. Biggest issue on the camping specific ones is a lack of adequate wind protection so they blow out a lot. I thought about getting one at one time so I could have hot water on longer term scout camps (summer/winter) as it would be nice to plumb it in and have hot water for a shower during winter camp. However, the expense didn't really fit my budget, and I wasn't sure I would use it enough to justify having it.

Most parks around me prohibit discharge of grey water. You would need to come up with a solution to capture the water from the shower, and then transport it to an appropriate dump site (sewer or toilet). Some use a hot water heater drain overflow tub, Rubbermaid bins, kiddie pools, etc. Then either a simple bilge pump to transfer the water to your container, or a gravity drain if you can get it higher.