Outside speakers

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by mred, Jun 7, 2015.

1. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

We just got a NTU 2007 fleetwood avalon. The outside speakers are shot. Does anyone know how to measure them. I see different sizes and not sure what they are revering to. Is it woofer size, or is it a bolt to bolt measurement. Any help will be appreciated.

2. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

I'd pull one and bring it to a store like WM and match up the size. Not sure how it's measured.

3. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

generally it's speaker woofer diameter, unless you have an oval like a 4x6 or 6x9. Most outdoor ones I've seen are probably 6" dia.

True outdoor speakers are different than your average auto speaker. You might very well find an automotive audio speaker that is the same size, but you will need something rated for exterior use.

4. capy235co

capy235co Member

Usually available from a boat dealer as well.

5. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

Just ask for Marine Speakers at any electronics store.
    Many times the size is listed at the back of the speakers.

6. RMAN4443

RMAN4443 Member

Bass pro Shop and Cabelas carry outdoor speakers

7. tigerflier

tigerflier Member

I just ordered a set of these Marine speakers and installed them yesterday on the outside of my Sequoia - the reviews were good (4.3 of 5) and the price was just as good. I'll be turning them on for the first time this evening as soon as I get them connected at the stereo end - I'll let you know later how they sound.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001XO674?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

They are 6.5" but my Sequoia did not come with outside speakers so I had to run wires and carefully cut the holes so as not to damage anything in the wall like other wiring.

8. tigerflier

tigerflier Member

So I got my Boss Audio MR60W Marine speakers hooked up and I am surprised how good they sound. They were really inexpensive and are only driven by the factory stereo with no additional amplifier. They are plenty loud for background music while sitting around the fire and do not distort even at higher power. Now granted, this is a low power system and they certainly aren't going to shake the ground but for the price I give them two thumbs up. Attached is a picture after install and one picture showing the wire behind the rear speaker that I had to slightly reroute.

Attached Files:

9. scrawnyman

scrawnyman New Member

Best suggestion is go to your local audio/video store or spa dealer they would be your best bet or even try Best Buy

10. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I recommend Monoprice.com. I have some of their outdoor speakers and in-wall speakers. Great quality for the price. I believe they come out of the same factory as Polk in-wall speakers. We compared them side to side and only the name plate is different.

11. mls15000

mls15000 New Member

12. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Those surface mount speakers are interesting. Not a bad alternative if you don't already have a hole in the wall, and are worried about the cutting. A small hole for speaker wire is probably much easier to stomach.

Nice work on the install above, tigerflier. Glad to hear that the system is meeting your needs.