Outside storage access door-need suggestions

gardenbliss

Super Active Member
Dec 9, 2013
San Diego
Thanks Kudzu for the pep talk, I may have to just suck it up and do it myself (I feel like such a girl). The heating and air guy wants to charge me $85.00 to do a simple 15X16" cut, seriously??? I can rent a jigsaw or sawsall from Home Depot for about $15.00. I think I'd prefer the jigsaw too since I can stabilize the saw against the camper. I will tape around the opening first, and I read a tip to duct tape the bottom of the jigsaw plate to prevent scratching the aluminum surface of the camper. I almost have my courage built up. (Hey, I lubed my wiffletree by myself, and that was pretty easy), so, thanks for the support guys :) I'll let you know how it turns out. The access door should be arriving tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351636183541

smit1088

Super Active Member
Mar 15, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I truly believe the only project you can't do is the one that you are unwilling to start. It should be doable for you.

Good luck and have fun.

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
gardenbliss said:
... I may have to just suck it up and do it myself (I feel like such a girl).
Well, I didn't mention the other reason I'd prefer a jigsaw over a reciprocating saw. The reciprocation saw just scares the bejeepers out of me. Mind you, I've used it when it was the only reasonable tool for the job but I'm nervous the whole time. Have the same problem with the full-sized circular saw. The little trim saw, though, I'll use in a heartbeat.

The advantage of being a girl is that, even in the 21st century, people are more likely to be impressed I do lots of projects for myself than they are to be critical of me for being timid about using saws capable of separating my from cherished pieces of my anatomy [LOL] [LOL]

wecamp

Sep 28, 2006
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
For my money a jigsaw is the proper tool. It has a smaller blade and has a baseplate to stabilize the saw. Putting duct tape on the base of saw won't prevent scratches. Metal particles from the cut can still get to the surface metal. Put tape on the metal on the side of the cut that will remain. Don't let the tape stay on too long or get much sun because the goo from the adhesive can be as ugly as scratches.

LjohnSaw

So many fish, so little time...
Jun 24, 2011
Northern California
kudzu said:
Have the same problem with the full-sized circular saw. The little trim saw, though, I'll use in a heartbeat.

I have a big worm drive Skilsaw. That thing weighs a ton and has a nasty torque kick/twist when you start it up. It can cut through anything and give you a good workout at the same time.

Probably out of your price range for this project but I picked up my new favorite tool a few months ago. A got a 6-1/2" Dewalt 20v rechargeable saw. Doesn't cut deep but the convenience greatly outweighs that shortcoming. I'll grab that before my worm drive even when the worm drive would be more appropriate. The only "scary" thing about this saw is the weight. It is so light (even with the biggest battery Dewalt makes), that it seems like a toy. I have to be careful that I don't get complacent. It is powerful, accurate and fast. I spent $249 on the saw, 5amp-hr battery, super fast charger and case. The best money I've spent in a long, long time. You can get the "bare tool" for $119 but you really need a large battery for this saw and they are expensive when purchased alone. The fast charger will charge any of my batteries in less than half the time of the normal charger.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
You can buy a jig saw at HD or Walmart for $20. Not the best or most durable but it's not like you're cutting anything heavy or tough (I hope.) Just get one with variable speed.

roybraddy

Super Active Member
Mar 23, 2016
King George, Virginia
Even a dremel tool with a grinding wheel might do the job since it is so thin.

Might go through a few grinding wheel but they are cheap...

Might need a good cut line and a steady hand haha...

Roy Ken

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
SteveP said:
You can buy a jig saw at HD or Walmart for $20. Not the best or most durable but it's not like you're cutting anything heavy or tough (I hope.) Just get one with variable speed.

You bear me to it....I was gonna say the same thing.

BigAdm

Mar 21, 2016
No. Get a reciprocating saw from
Home Depot or lowes...Home Depot has ryobi home power tools and lowes has black and decker home power tools ..both are about $60 for the saw...I cut a hole through my camper with it and it's a handy tool. You will use it more then you will use a jigsaw....if your camper has any type of metal that's fine because the saw uses two types of blades..wood and metal...cut trough the wood then the metal...cutting a line straight down is easier than you think but no one will be able to do it 100% perfect. Any mistakes you made can be fixed with caulk and paint .

BigAdm

Mar 21, 2016
Any professional
Who does anything in that business is going to charge you $60 ...just for the gas to
Come see your problem

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I have both a reciprocating saw and jig saw with plenty of trigger time behind both. I think a jig saw is a lot easier to control and do fine detail work with.

gardenbliss

Super Active Member
Dec 9, 2013
San Diego
Yay, I did it. I ran into a slight glitch because I marked out the template with the door running horizontally and then realized the lift bar was in my way. I then re-configured the door to run vertically and used a jigsaw (ok, I actually enlisted a friend who is a finish carpenter to do the cut for me.) I tried it out last week at the Sequoia Rally and it works perfectly, just as I had envisioned. The color match is perfect!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    840.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    904 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51

gardenbliss

Super Active Member
Dec 9, 2013
San Diego
Yay, I did it. I ran into a slight glitch because I marked out the template with the door running horizontally and then realized the lift bar was in my way. I then re-configured the door to run vertically and used a jigsaw (ok, I actually enlisted a friend who is a finish carpenter to do the cut for me.) I tried it out last week at the Sequoia Rally and it works perfectly, just as I had envisioned. The color match is perfect!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    840.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    904 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

Miller

'96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd
Dec 15, 2015
CT
Access door came out great!!

We have the technology! ...and tools and door.
I know what I want to do next.

Here are my starter tools for every project LOL!!!

IMG_20160621_155630740_zpsg9x5jdpm.jpg

Thank you for the inspiration!!

-Miller