Outside stove

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by SeaPeeps, Jun 29, 2020.

1. SeaPeeps

SeaPeeps New Member

We just purchased a 1996 Coleman Cheyanne and heading out for our first trip in a couple days. Our gas line runs inside and splits to an outside quick connection as well. I'd like to run our camp stove (https://gsioutdoors.com/selkirk-540-camp-stove.html) outside instead of the stove that came with the camper.

I bought a quick disconnect hose (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SZL6H45/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but when I connect the hose no gas comes out to the stove.

The propane tank is full and I tested it with our outdoor fire pit, works great.

I checked the quick connect on the curb side under the trailer by depressing the plunger inside the connection and gas came out. The stove inside works as well. When I connect the hose to to the quick connect, no gas comes out.

Must have purchased the wrong type of hose? Any clue which is the correct hose?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Those type of stove are usually regulated high pressure and operate @ ~15psi (regulator on green bottle connector), feeding it ~.5 psi regulated low pressure and it ain't gonna work.

they may be a sticker or plate like on my coleman
    coleman15psi.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  3. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

4. SeaPeeps

SeaPeeps New Member

I already had the stove so I am hoping to just keep using it. I think I might install a "T" onto the propane tank in front of the regulator and use a longer hose to run to the camp stove.

I am still curious as to why there was no gas running through the quick connect hose I bought. Guessing I picked up the wrong one, even though it fit the connection.

Appreciate the input!

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The low pressure gas probably couldn't flow through the high pressure regulator on the stove, as its ment for a diffrent pressure. It was the correct hose, just incorrect stove. Tbh, of you have the room , just bring an extra tank with you. Easier to refill. Some also refill the smaller bottles.

6. p

p Active Member

Under the trailer is a.shutoff. Does not matter anyhow...cant have to regulators.

fyi..
    a coleman roadtrip for $9 and 1 min can be converted into a lp using bbq. They also have attachments to let u use pots and pans

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Couple things - as previously stated, that appears to be a high pressure stove, so it won't work on a low pressure connection. I tried it with a 3 burner Coleman Eventemp stove, no dice as well. However, I still got flow, but it was barely enough to light one burner, and couldn't handle two.

Now, since you state you didn't have any gas flow at all - compare the quick connect hose you bought to the one on your camper stove inside. I am guessing the outer diameter of the quick connect is the same, but the inner diameter is smaller on your factory stove compared to the hose you just bought.

Back in the 90s they had not yet standardized these connections, and a lot of them used the older natural gas quick connect. They are identical externally, but differ only internally on the size of the orifice. There is a check valve inside the female quick connect on the camper - the newer connections won't trigger the valve. Unfortunately it is a pita to find the older style connections on modern hoses. I ran into this very issue on mine. However, I did find a solution. Take a Bic or Papermate pen. Here is where it is a little fuzzy - I can't remember if I used the cap/plug on the tail of the pen, or the other one where the pen nib comes through. At any rate, that inside cylinder of plastic is an exact fit for that orifice. Cut a small section out that you can press into the orifice. It needs to be flush, so plan to trim it to fit if too long. It also won't work if it is too short. I used an X-acto knife to do the trimming. Once it is nice and seated you should be able to plug it into the quick connect, turn the valve to on and get flow.

I have converted a number of stoves to use with mine over the years. Coleman Roadtrips are great choices, I have one myself. Also a Weber Q1200 grill, Blackstone 17" griddle and Camp Chef Weekender 2-burner stove. All these run off the quick connect, as will all the big expedition type Camp Chef stoves, since they are all low pressure ones. The typical Coleman 2-burner camp stoves tend to be high pressure, and thus won't work on the quick connect.

I also bought an in line tee for the front bulk tanks. It has a pass through on the ACME fitting, so one tank will still supply the camper while also providing a high pressure port. I then add another tee to it, giving me 2 high pressure ports, and I run 2 long hoses to run my other stoves if I need them. I also have a smaller 5lb bulk tank which is perfect for additional fuel needs, or running the propane fire pit.

Currently my favorite combo is the Weekender and griddle, with the Weber if I am going to be doing some grilling. The Roadtrip is great, and I used it extensively as it was the 1st one I converted. However, I found it lackluster in wind, and even though I had the stove grates it just didn't perform as well for a stove. The Weekender does a much better job as a stove - it burns hotter, and has good simmer control although I did get some flame tamers to help, especially with smaller pots. The Blackstone griddle also does a much better job of griddle cooking than the Road Trip did, even with the cast iron griddle plates. Finally the Weber too does a much better job for grilling, so I have retired to the Road Trip, and only pull it out when I need to cook for large groups, at which point I use it to supplement the other gear.

I also picked up a Camp Chef camp oven/stove combo at a garage sale, but I haven't had the chance yet to really put it through it's paces beyond making a tube of cinnamon rolls once. However, I am hopeful it will do a great job as well.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I read the marking on my '96 coschmen's female QD, a '5LPN'.
    Contacted MBSTURGIS.com who delivered a male 5LPN plug.