Over axle weight rating with minimal gear?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by toddbobsmith, May 28, 2019.

1. toddbobsmith

toddbobsmith New Member

I have having issues with my 1999 Jayco Heritage Manistee (Example) . Let me start by saying the trailer weights sticker is missing and I have a support request into Jayco for answers...but I do not expect much to come of that.

Per Cat Scale measurements, my camper is weighing in at 3,160 lbs total with an axle weight of 2,640 lbs. Inside the camper is less than 70 lbs of gear. In the trunk is 63lbs. Trailer axle is rated for 2,700 lbs per Dexter. Tire ratings align with this axle rating. Tongue weight is measuring in at 460 lbs per bathroom scale (this aligns with Cat scale measurements of individual axles too), which is about 14.5% of trailer total weight.

I feel like the tongue weight should not be so heavy along with an axle weight 60lbs from capacity. It is like Jayco left no weight for cargo. Am I missing something here? 460 lbs on the tongue is near maxing out my 07' Colorado's max tongue weight (500 lbs). Needing a full size truck to tow a popup camper and the family seems wrong.

Looking for some advice. I feel like I must be missing something.

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a 99 Laurel which is very similar to yours in most respects. My sticker says gawr is 2500 lbs and gvwr is 3175.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You have to add in all the options your camper has, awning, fridge, ac, heater, water battery, propane, etc. So all that adds to the campers weight. The weight of the camper is basicly empty. So nada has yours at around 2515 , then add in the extras and gear.

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

My camper (Fleetwood/Coleman) also is pretty much maxed out with basic things like propane and battery. I think they just went cheap on the axles.

Some people actually upgrade the axle. You see that with the Fleetwood highwall models, especially the Niagara (because that's the most popular model).

5. toddbobsmith

toddbobsmith New Member

Replacing the axle would be doable...but what can the frame handle? Could I toss a 3,500lb axle on?

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Good question. I suspect it can handle it but I don't know. You aren't talking about adding a LOT of additional weight, after all.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You aren't adding any weight to the frame when swapping axles.

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I assumed he'd be putting more junk in the trailer (or getting it off the tongue) once he got a better axle. :)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. toddbobsmith

toddbobsmith New Member

Bingo Dingit! If I have a 3,500lb axle (aka I spend $500 on one), I sure am going to throw another 150lbs of gear in the trailer and onto that axle to get it off my TV's axle. :-D

Sjm9911 and Dingit like this.
  10. toddbobsmith

toddbobsmith New Member

11. toddbobsmith

toddbobsmith New Member

Jayco provided the following information for towing capacities for the 1999 Jayco Heritage Manistee.

Awaiting follow-up from Dexter on other axle options. Will share with the community when I hear back for others that may encounter this issue.

Attached Files:

12. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

It will be a little more involved than his even. This Jayco series has a torsion axle so no springs at all. I would assume the frame could handle spring perches and such but I am not sure. I briefly considered a flip to raise mine up until I realized it had a torsion axle, then I have up looking any further.

14. toddbobsmith

toddbobsmith New Member

Yeah I am betting on a replacement that is a torsion axle as to allow a "simple" swap. It appears four large bolts hold the current axle on. Dexter tells me getting a 3500 axle that swaps out with similar mounting should not be an option. I am awaiting their written quote. :-D

15. toddbobsmith

toddbobsmith New Member

Local Dexter dealer is putting the price at about $500 w/tax for a new axle rated for 3500 lbs that should be a drop-in replacement. Now I am following up with the frame manufacturer(Lippert Components or LCI) about whether the frame can handle some extra weight if the axle is upgraded.

16. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Seems like a high tongue weight. My 19’ TT tongue is 400#. Two batteries & propane?

18. toddbobsmith

toddbobsmith New Member

One propane tank and a small emergency brake battery. Axle is pretty far back and we have a pullout for a table as well as a tongue trunk that we try not to fill. Though once the popout is slide in and the galley is flipped down, there is not really any space inside the camper for gear.