Over The Air TV Question - Digital Converter

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by micbur, Apr 12, 2010.

1. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Just a question....I have found that my current 2003 LCD TV we take with us does not have a digital tuner. We sometimes bring our satellite TV with us....but noticed that there is a antenna IN on the receiver box. Instead of purchasing a digital converter to get over the air stations can we just use the satellite reciever as our digital converter?

2. EV2

EV2 Member

That depends on whether your sat receiver has a built-in digital over the air receiver. Most old receivers do not and all of the newest require a separate over the air tuner. But, some actually do, like the Samsung SIR-TS360. What receiver do you have?

3. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

The receiver is a receiver that we currently use in one of our bedrooms. We just disconnect it and take it with us if we want to try and setup our satellite dish at our camp site.

It is a model DP301 from Dish Network. It works with our non digital tuner TV when at a camp site but was wondering if instead of connecting to a satellite dish I could connect and OTA antenna and use it as a digital tuner to receive broadcast signals.