Overall Tune Up 1999 Coleman Taos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by firstcoastflyer, Jun 22, 2019.

1. firstcoastflyer

firstcoastflyer New Member

We bought our camper a few years ago in pretty decent condition with a brand new AC unit. The previous owner gutted everything so it is literally an 8 foot box with 2 bunkends. I built a few small bench seats for storage and to hide the electrical stuff but otherwise it is still open area. There is only electrical, no water hookups and we don't use the gas line. The outside is dated so I have spent the last few weeks stripping decals, cleaning and painting. We have taken it on many trips and have had no issues. I am wondering if there are any routine maintence checks we should do to ensure everything stays in working order. Being so old I don't want the bunkends to get off track or the cables to snap and the roof to fall in! Just want to be proactive so we don't run into bigger problems down the road. Thanks!

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Check wheel bearings and re-pack if needed, just check everything out taking your time, do not forget the tires including spare. If all looks good you are ready for more adventures and making memories

3. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

We have a 2006 Taos with the galley stripped out, but we left the benches and little cabinet to the right of the door in place. We have a nice outdoor kitchen set up that we use to cook.

It has turned out to be a great little camper over the last 10 years that we have owned it. We have towed that thing all over the U.S. and Canada and never have had a problem, except the occasional flat tire. I did learn to carry two spares on my first epic road trip.

As far as maintenance, I check the bearings every spring and give them a squirt of grease. I clean and silicone lube the bunk end slides and telescoping roof supports. I have never done anything to or for the lift system, but keep meaning to research it. I keep it in the garage and never put it up wet or dirty. Oh yeah, and I have never bothered to hook up the electric brakes, it's such a light little tow that I have never felt like it was a problem to stop.

So, I hope you continue to get lots of fun and memories out of your Taos, I am looking forward to reading replies to this post and see if I'm missing anything with my maintenance.