Overland's 88 Coleman Colorado

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Overland, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Overland

Overland Active Member

LOL.. guess I deserved that. ;)

emoney likes this.
  2. Overland

Overland Active Member

I mentioned earlier that I bought a new in box canvas from a guy selling an abandoned project. I contacted him this week after discovering im missing a few bow brackets.. and a few bows/sleeves I have on hand have seen better days. I inquired about the bow's and I ended up with the entire project. Pick it up tomorrow. Should be set for spare parts now eh..

Also mentioned how I did not care for the gray color, and that I bought a new tow vehicle. So it got a new coat of paint this am. Once I inventory the better bows and parts i'll be installing the new canvas. Hopefully this weekend.

I didn't exactly fly through this project but i'm close now.. cant wait to get out.

The front rack needs finishing, a few hours then I can clean and paint it as well.

Wish me luck..

camperblackOct172018.jpg

gail58, jnc, hq308 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Overland

Overland Active Member

Picked up the 3rd trailer, totally disassembled project.. but the bow assembly's were in much better shape. I can see the light..

I lightly sanded and painted them, get ready for install. I have a few i'm not sure of their use.. hoping @rich2 may be of help? The 4 on the right.. first I believe is a ridge pole after canvas is deployed and strengthens top?

How about the other 3 at furthest right? I'm guessing they are used with the road cover somehow?

Canvas install doesn't look as though it'll happen this weekend.. have a Nor'Easter coming in.

Rich, peek in occasionally.. i'm sure i'll have a few other questions you'll no doubt be a huge help with. [:D]

Bowpaint1.jpg

bowpaint2.jpg

bowpaint3.jpg

EDIT: I looked at Rich's original pole set which I had labeled. I see the one on right goes to door.. but cant visualize it quite yet. The two center with bend are for supporting the roadcover when used with poles with blue tips. And I see which bow accepts the tips.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  4. Overland

Overland Active Member

Canvas2.jpg

Looks like a camper again..

theseus, jnc, gail58 and 2 others like this.
  5. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Shane from Sydney
    Nice work mate, new to this as I'm a car guy but I love a good project.

Overland likes this.
  6. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Yes it does, nice job and congratulations.

Overland likes this.
  7. Overland

Overland Active Member

Thanks, my first trailer too... modified Jeeps for last few decades, wasn't any cheaper than speeding tickets of my youth. ;)

Thank You Arruba.

Tossed on the old original tongue jack on for now, placed all the interior dinette pieces inside, got the lights working, and about to weld on bracket for bed support poles. Installed the road cover and it's just about to head back over my son's house again for the interior work.

Few lil other things to do yet that i'll update y'all on soon.

roadcover.jpg

gail58, hq308 and DR Stitch H.D like this.
  8. rich2

rich2 Active Member

Looks great...sorry I was not able to help with the poles, was down an out for quite a while with surgery. But looks like you figured it out. Outstanding job...

Overland likes this.
  9. Tmackcj5

Tmackcj5 Member

Nice build! Have you had it out in the woods yet?

I wish we had better (closer) wilderness camping options. That sounds like a good time. I've got 2 kids 3 and under right now, so state parks are probably more our speed right now anyways.

I like your frame modifications. I really want to extend the frame on mine to build a 2-3' tongue rack. The only thing stopping me is my camper currently fits in my garage with about 12" to spare. If I lengthened the frame, I would have to pay for camper storage somewhere.

Overland likes this.
  10. Overland

Overland Active Member

Not yet Tmack… but soon.

Camper will be coming home soon, finish a few things up so I can get out in it for my Bday next month. My kids are grown, only my son likes to camp with me.. the girls all prefer cabins. Hoping to get out a lot in the coming year.

I don't have a garage for the camper storage here either, and my son is gonna be listing his place soon. I may end up purchasing a carport for it as I don't like the idea of it sitting exposed.

11. Overland

Overland Active Member

Brought the camper home last weekend finally, and started wrapping up a few things. Fit and cut the bed slide support poles, assembled the door mechanism, and started on the dinette. Few spots to touch up with stain and then make a new table..

ColoradoDinette.jpg

Figure out a replacement mattress, make some safety chains, license plate light and i'll be ready to get out. Friends and family gathering scheduled for Memorial Day weekend but i'll probably take a quick run to the Jersey Pinelands to test this out once or twice prior.

It's finally about ready to use, and I didn't think it would be a two year project. Gave me some time with my son to relax and not think about his recent divorce. Were planning to head west at some point this fall.

Appreciate the guidance and support from this forum through this project, I knew nothing about PUPS until I started this. Now to get another Jeep built..

12. Overland

Overland Active Member

Still haven't gotten the opportunity to get out yet, and it's supposed to be a nice cool evening here. Screw it.. camping in the yard tonight.

YardCamping.jpg

13. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Great camper. Still planning on Wyoming this summer?

Overland likes this.
  14. Overland

Overland Active Member

Trip to Teton's and Yellowstone was gonna be a family trip (Mom and Dad's anniversary) but it doesn't look like the kids are gonna be able to make it, so Mom and I are looking to run up to New Hampshire's White Mountain area for a shorter getaway.

But that leaves open a potential camping trip this fall, thinking about a few weeks to visit CO, UT, and WY. My best friend owns 30+ acres outside Medicine Bow that i'v yet to see, so he and I are mulling over meeting up out that way for part of any potential trip.

I'd love to spend some time out your way, i'll certainly be in touch if it looks possible this season.

15. gladecreekwy

I grew up on the east coast and spent a lot of time in the white mountains. Miss that place. Medicine Bow and the area is beautiful.

Overland likes this.
  16. Overland

Overland Active Member

East Coast has changed since I started camping in late 80's, more restrictive. PA still has some good dispersed camping in some state forest's.

Fish? I hear the Miracle Mile near by buddy's property is a good option. He's actually considering selling it, and finding something near Dillon, Montana.. we'v been in that area a few times now.. great place.

17. gladecreekwy

Fish every chance I get. Everything is blown out now. Waiting till runoff is done. Takes a while we had over 500” in the mountains this winter. Miracle mile definitely worth checking out. If you make it to NW Wyoming I’ll point you in the right direction.

Overland likes this.
  18. Overland

Overland Active Member

Finally, got to take her out for a few days on her maiden run. Drove 4 hours away to Pa's Grand Canyon for some long needed camp time. I wont do this again till I address the bunk mattress..

Scheduled to head out again in late October with a few friends.. got a few things to take care of prior. Overall i'm very pleased with the outcome.

sept20195.jpg sept20191.jpg
    sept201910.jpg

jnc, hq308, SHFL and 2 others like this.
  19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Those are some rocks by the fire pit !looking good!

Overland likes this.
  20. Dave Stremes

Dave Stremes New Member

Attn: "Overland". Great pictures of your rebuild. Any chance you could post a closeup of the top of the two short roadcover supports? (especially the one that has the screw in it) We lost ours (it fell out on the road) and I'll have to try and make one.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019