Overland's 88 Coleman Colorado

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Attn: "Overland". Great pictures of your rebuild. Any chance you could post a closeup of the top of the two short roadcover supports? (especially the one that has the screw in it) We lost ours (it fell out on the road) and I'll have to try and make one.

Thanks!

Hi Dave..

Your speaking of the two shorter curved pieces ( that do not double as the ridge pole) and have the flat on end to secure at back wall/door? They both have a screw in them to act as stops.

One necks down to a smaller outside diameter..

I can get you pics of my spares, and mic them for the proper measurement.

Share a pic of your trailer if you have any please.

Dave Stremes

Sep 11, 2019
Hi Dave..

Your speaking of the two shorter curved pieces ( that do not double as the ridge pole) and have the flat on end to secure at back wall/door? They both have a screw in them to act as stops.

One necks down to a smaller outside diameter..

I can get you pics of my spares, and mic them for the proper measurement.

Share a pic of your trailer if you have any please.

We decided to back-track our route, and on the way back home, we found the piece at the side of the road! I will post a few pictures of our Colorado when I find them. We totally rebuilt our Colorado; the only things that are original are the aluminum side, steel tent frames, seat frames, and trailer frame.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
You stopped and purchased a lottery ticket too right?! Glad ya found it.. post those pics up when ya can, sounds like one I definitely would like to see.

My build is not quite finished yet obviously, still looking for idea's to rip off. ;)

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Randy.. here's pics of the floor measurements i took, hope they help. Any questions just ask..

Tell me the story behind yours, where are you located?

Camperfloor1.jpg

Camperfloor2.jpg

Camperfloor3.jpg

Rbrayley

Jun 4, 2020
Randy.. here's pics of the floor measurements i took, hope they help. Any questions just ask..

Tell me the story behind yours, where are you located?

Hey brother, thank you so much. This helps a ton! Looks like my measurements were pretty close.

I am in the So Cal area (Orange County), stumbled across mine on Craigslist for $120. I went to look at it and originally told the guy I didn’t want it. Super rough condition, slides barely worked, probably could stick your finger through the subfloor.

I came home and started researching a bit and kept coming back to your rebuild thread and a few others. Finally decided for $120 I’d give it a shot. The guy replaced the canvas at some point with bear creek - it’s not perfect but looks useable. So that was a plus. If I can get the floor and sides together and straight, I think she’ll make a nice camper.

I’m not a welder so I have a family friend helping to beef up the frame this weekend. Will also be converting it to an A frame up front so I can add a box and maybe a propane tank.

The only thing I really don’t like about mine is that the canopy bow over the door was replaced with 3/4” conduit. Just the top part, not the two poles coming up from the base. Any idea if I can bend some thin wall metal tubing to replace the conduit? Seems replacement parts are not very easy to come by.

Also need a new road cover, but that’s going to have to wait for now.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Glad i could help.. it's pretty self explanatory to me, but any questions feel free.

Label and bag all hardware, take pics of each piece so you have record of how it reassembles. Wait till ya see how cheaply these things were constructed.. it surprised me.

I wasnt a welder either, but bought a Lincoln 110v WeldPak and practiced, had my nephew who's a pro come do the critical welding.. and he said i and my son did well. I have a rack for the front fabbed and tacked together awaiting install.. soon.

Seems that canopy bow assembly is the problem area for everybody, others have used conduit without much luck too. Myself, i'd consider buying better material from Steel Supermarket nearby and a bender with proper die and do myself, or even ask around at a Marina perhaps. I have some spare parts.. but not the piece ya need unfortunately.

Hope ya stick around and share your rebuild.. nice to see another one getting repaired. Will this be restored as stock or modified in any way?

CovidCamp2020.jpg

Rbrayley

Jun 4, 2020
Glad i could help.. it's pretty self explanatory to me, but any questions feel free.

Label and bag all hardware, take pics of each piece so you have record of how it reassembles. Wait till ya see how cheaply these things were constructed.. it surprised me.

I wasnt a welder either, but bought a Lincoln 110v WeldPak and practiced, had my nephew who's a pro come do the critical welding.. and he said i and my son did well. I have a rack for the front fabbed and tacked together awaiting install.. soon.

Seems that canopy bow assembly is the problem area for everybody, others have used conduit without much luck too. Myself, i'd consider buying better material from Steel Supermarket nearby and a bender with proper die and do myself, or even ask around at a Marina perhaps. I have some spare parts.. but not the piece ya need unfortunately.

Hope ya stick around and share your rebuild.. nice to see another one getting repaired. Will this be restored as stock or modified in any way?
I already dismantled mine - it was a mess. Rusted out bolts everywhere, body panels barely standing, water damage all over. Couldn't believe how much of it was held together with pop rivets.

Woodworking is my primary hobby so I am looking forward to building the interior. When I get it finished I doubt it will look much like a stock camper - but I'm also not looking to put 35's on it. Just trying to get it solid enough for very light Offroad use and camping. Can't wait.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
My son took it camping a few weeks back, it came home with a dime size hole in the vinyl roadcover. Anyone have a recomendation on a quality adhesive patch?

I emailed canvasreplacements.com but i dont think i caught them before shutting down for the holiday.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Hogey, i cant attach a pic to PM so i'll put here.

Pass side pic's of awning support pole. If you need others i'll need to setup camper.. not a big deal as i need to anyway soon.

Bow attaches inside with tube towards inside also.

passside1.jpg
passside2.jpg

Not my trailer but shows the bow shape setup.
campercon8.jpg

I believe the top (horizontal) section is all the same throughout the camper, with the exception of through holes for the guy wires. Do you need length and angle measurment's or do you have from originals?

Hope this helps a lil..

Hogeyphenogey

May 3, 2014
Strange. My rear support poles for the roof and the poles for the awning are attached. In your pics it looks like you only have awning poles attached to those brackets.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
My rear support bows for roof is mounted seperately from the awning. The other brackets for rear roof are inside on other side of canvas.

Lets see a pic of yours..

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Took it out to Tioga county in Pa this past week, nice 5 days with beautiful weather. Found a new site this trip, was fortunate to have an Eagle flying around and a few Hawks. Colors are starting to turn.. i'm hoping to get back out soon.

I finally trimmed a mattress topper from the house bed and used it in the camper, much better but the bed is a tad on the small side for me. I'm considering picking up a Fleetwood E2 or similar.

Hope everyone is safe and keeping healthy.

EagleRidge1.jpg

Brought the camp smoker out with me for the first time, glad i did.
Campsmoker.jpg

liteweight88

Oct 9, 2020
With all the work I have been doing up to this point I had been thinking I might want to finish it off with a new canvas. I contacted Bear Creek and was advised they no longer provide canvas or road cover replacements for this model. Referred me to Canvasreplacements.com. Looking at ~$1400 to my door.

As luck would have it I stumbled upon a guy trying to unload his abandoned Colorado restoration project. Totally disassembled he's asking near what these campers are selling for completed. But he has a new in box canvas and road cover.. but unfortunately tan in color. His price is good enough to get over the color though.. saved almost 50% vs ordering new.. and waiting 10-12 weeks for delivery.

Son and I finished framing out a small addition and roof on my garage so I will be getting back onto the camper asap. I'll share pics soon..

If anyone reading this needs a grey Colorado canvas that's a few years old and has some rust staining on it.. and can pick it up.. contact me.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2012
WOW! Kudos on this rebuild! You did a fantastic job.
We love love LOVE our '89 Coleman Colorado, and the only thing we'd trade it for is one in better condition.
We've repaired rotted corners and leaking canvas, and the door needs a bungee cord to stay shut ... but being able to haul it with a Tercel and set up camp anywhere makes it worth every repair!
Sorry to hear the bed is too small for you. Our one beef is that it's sideways (problematic with a CPAP machine and trips to the chamber pot) and keep wishing for a version that has the bed rotated 90 degrees (so it's lengthwise rather than sideways). We've been to RV shows and don't see anything even remotely preferable to ours!

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Thank You Woodland, much appreciated. I also love this camper, but i tend to sleep stretched out which is why i find it small.. not the campers fault unless your closer to 6'.

What your looking for is a Fleetwood Neon.. another tough to find single slide and it's oriented like you describe.

Why wont the door stay shut? Show us a pic of yours, what part of the country you from?