overnight stay at Walmart

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by apopkabob, Sep 24, 2012.

1. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

I saw a pup camped out at a loves truck stop over the weekend on my way back from Tampa

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

[:O]picture or it didn't happen [8D]

3. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

"Overnighting" in a parking lot to me implies the absence of any "set-up." You pull in, park and catch a few winks. Obviously, there is no fine line, but I see a big difference in overnighting in a rig where a passerby can not immediately discern if the occupants are sleeping inside or possibly just stopped for a shopping trip vs. someone with stabs down, slide outs extended, easy chairs out under the awning, etc... Things that undeniably indicate an overnight stay.

The popup falls squarely on the other side of the gray area and for this reason, I don't see it as a viable or recommended option. In fact, to me it is a patently ridiculous idea.

I really don't think WalMart's management envisioned someone setting up camp when the idea of allowing overnighting was initiated. I would also guess that too many users who stretching the boundaries may ultimately result in a ban of any overnighting.

4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I for one would never set up the camper in a Walmart parking lot. I prefer either Big Lots, Ollies, or Dollar General for my parking lot camping.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I agree with teejaywhy that there is a difference between "overnighting" and camping when it comes to using a retail store's parking lot. Overnighting is setting up just enough to get into the bed and nothing else. It implies something of an emergency in the sense that there was no other alternative available and that you are out of there ASAP in the AM. I can't fathom someone sitting out there in a lawn chair.

6. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

what Tripod said

7. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

It's illegal at the WM closest to us. The next two closest, well one is the first 24 hour in the vicinity and appears to own the parking lot. It might be possible there. The next few closest? well I wouldn't even try in a pup. Traffic noise would be ridiculous and safety a factor.

8. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Not in a PUP. Borrowed a motorhome several years back (Definitely will never own one) and stayed in a parking lot. DW and I didn't get much sleep, DW kept hearing "noises" outside the RV.

9. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

cant a pup be selfcontained????

10. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

I would have no problem sleeping in a hard sided pop up (Aliner) or TT.

However, for security reasons (be it property theft or personal safety), I would never even think of sleeping in a Wal-Mart parking lot with my tent trailer. I would be better off finding a cheap motel, or at the very least, sleeping in the tow vehicle.

11. kevmann

kevmann Member

I know this is an old post but I have to throw in my opinion. I would be concerned about security. But my bigger concern is what others have said. You can stay at campgrounds and state parks and its very inexpensive. Parking at Wal Mart would cost me more because when I bring my wife we usually cant get out of there without dropping a couple hundred bucks. So, in the end, any campground would be cheaper.

Kevin

12. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

Gosh, I hate going to the Wal-Mart at any time. I cant understand why anyone would spend a night there. Just find a some sort of campground nearby.