Ozark Trail 5qt Dutch Oven. Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by dbhost, May 21, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So I've got some family that needs a Dutch Oven. I don't want to give up my old Outdoor Gourmet 5qt Dutch Oven..

So recently I was cruising some Dutch Oven cooking recipes on Youtube, and as algorithms go, started seeing ads for the Ozark Trail DO.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-5QT-Dutch-Oven/55208717

A gifting occasion is coming up, and I don't have a ton of free cash so I was thinking that at less than $20.00 this might come up with a good usable dutch oven...

So is it any good?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Buy it for them, if they dont like it give it to me[:D]
    I dont have one but how bad can it be? I get that its probably not well seasoned from the factory so they may need to clean and season it better. Should work fine. Its not the top of the line stuff but for occasional use would be a good gift. If they get hooked on duch oven cooking they can get a better one. I have a top of the line porcelain plated one for the home stove, it was a ton of money, i use it like 3 times a year........

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Looks like a steal. Hard to beat the price...

4. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I've had really good luck with Ozark Trail & other cut-rate dutch ovens. The usual problem (if any) is the fit of the lid....if the store will let you, swap lids around to find the best fit.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Agree with the above... for that price it's worth a try... a DutchOven doesn't need to be fancy!

J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

It may require extra seasoning or even a slight sanding before seasoning, but you can’t beat that price. Mom bought a cheap griddle that had an extremely rough surface. I gave it 10 coats of seasoning and gave her strict instructions to cook bacon on it, now you can’t even tell it’s the same griddle.

neighbormike likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have that particular DO. I bought it because it was so cheap, and I wanted one that was a little smaller than my other one. I have not had any issues with it. I can't speak to seasoning as I use liners, but it has held up to some scout cooking over the last 2 years I have had it.

Garrity and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. William Freeman

William Freeman Active Member

I bought one before our trip last month. Seasoned it 3 times inside and out. Cooked bacon the first morning with a little sticking and peach cobbler that evening (in a liner - too messy to clean up even if it's seasoned). Cooked bacon the 2nd morning with even less sticking. I think it heats evenly, top and bottom. Well worth the money. I have a old 10" DO (not a CAMP DO) that I was using before buying this one.

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Do tell... How did you cook bacon in the DO? Just bake it or did you put all the coals under it and use the DO as a big skillet?

I tend to for my seasoning / break in make things like my jalapeno corn bread beef bake.

1 lb very lean (90/10) ground beef taco seasoned with 1 small yellow onion diced, and 2 cloves garlic finely minced. Browned.
    2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix.
    1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese.
    1 can medium diced tomatoes and peppers.
    Milk
    Eggs

Heat 5qt DO to 400 Deg F.
    Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic.
    Mix the muffin mix, milk and eggs per package directions for 2 batches.
    Drain and mix tomatoes / peppers into muffin batter.
    With ground beef on bottom, pour half of the batter over the ground beef, and lightly mix.
    Spread shredded cheese over this.
    Pour remaining muffin batter over this layer, spread evenly ish...
    Put lid on, and bake for 20 -30 minutes or until done.
    Package directions call for 20 minutes, give it a couple more minutes however as the double batch takes a bit more to cook fully...

After about 2 or 3 batches of this, with good cleanings, hot water scrape and scrub, and veggie oil wipes between, it gets to be better than teflon non stick...

Garrity and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. William Freeman

Yeah, I just put it on the wood coals with the lid on - cooked and stirred until done. I used my tongs to rub the bacon all around the sides of the DO to help season the whole cast iron since it is still "new". When I was done, I used some of the bacon grease added to the eggs, poured the rest into the fire and wiped her down.

Man, that sounds good! I might have to add your recipe to my menu next time!

I boil water in mine to loosen the stuck on bits (depending on what I'm cooking), and wipe down with a little oil - about the same as you do. You're right - as long as you don't "scrape" the built up layers off with metal utensils, she's definitely non stick!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So my local Wally World had 2 of them marked for clearance 50% off, so I snagged both...

Fit and finish seems fine. Not great, not horrid. Just fine. Definately needs seasoning...

BIL will be visiting this weekend and I think we have an idea...

Weber charcoal kettle, 22.5"with an old heavy 16" pizza pan. The idea is wrap the pan in several layers of foil, get coals going, lay them out on the pan on the top grate of the kettle with the original grates, I have replaced them with folding grates so I don't care if I trash the OE grate...

Probably season these with lard. Rub down inside and out before heating, heat up OUTDOORS for 1 hour, change out kettle to the other one while the first cools, and rub again once it cools, lather rinse repeat at least 3x...

I would do both at the same time in the oven just to be prepped for the next trip, but my wife would kill me...

I get a good season on them, and one goes to the BIL, the other... Not sure yet. I will figure it out... Probably put it to use myself.

William Freeman and neighbormike like this.
  12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Well still considering what to do with the second 5qt DO... I am thinking about testing it out against the Coleman stove to see if I can use it stovetop. I'd like to use it for sauces and / or baking deserts while using the big one for cooking the main meal.

In some ways, I kind of wish it was smaller...

13. William Freeman

I used mine on the gas stovetop (outside) for cooking bacon.

14. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Oh sure, give me a nudge...

My wife is going to think I am nuts for cooking breakfast in the front yard this weekend.

J Starsky likes this.
  15. William Freeman

But it tastes soo much better when cooked outdoors in cast iron!

dbhost likes this.
  16. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I've been informed that I can no longer cook with cast on the kitchen stove. (glass top electric). Shucks, I guess that means I am going to have to work on my campfire (A.K.A. Weber Kettle) cooking technique...

Oh, and FWIW, yes I do use cooking fires with wood in a Weber kettle, it actually works REALLY well. My neighbors have Pecan trees and tend to give me a lot of their cutoffs instead of sending them to the landfill.

Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I have been using the O.T. D.O. using an old Pizza pan I got for $.50 at a thrift shop.

I'm not doing anything fancy in it, just baking biscuits, bacon breakfast bakes and the like. (cook up bacon, toss in and hash brown some potatoes, and then toss in and bake scrambled eggs / veggies). I really like the 5qt size. The 12" is an 8qt size and tends to be a bit big unless I am cooking something to be portioned up for meals in the microwave through the week...

Since I use my front yard for this, I am pretty sure the neighbors think I am wierd. I don't do the back yard as I have no good grill storage back there and have already rusted out several really nice smokers back there...

J Starsky likes this.
  17. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly! Then we broke out the new-to-me blackstone17. We did b-fast three weekends in a row on it. Sad I put it in the camper now

18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Well, the idea is to season it as well as physically possible prior to our next trip....

19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Check out this vid, a good tutorial for new iron... I only use olive oil in mine; one thing I don't use is bacon etc, could get rancid over time if not used much...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  20. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

His videos are pretty good, but something even he tells you. Nothing beats cooking in cast iron to season it.

Rik Peery and J Starsky like this.