PA - Locust Lake State Park

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by JeepMama, Sep 5, 2011.

1. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Pretty park, lots of trees. Probably not our favorite PA state park, but it was nice enough. The bees were especially bothersome this weekend... we were glad we had the screen on our EZup.

We didn't reserve early enough for Labor Day weekend, so we ended up with one of the few remaining sites(non electric). It was in a loop with bathrooms, but no showers(the showers were in the next loop over). If we go back, I'd want to try for one of the electric sites along the lake. I think you can fish right from your site.

The park did have very nice walking/bike trails. The kids enjoyed the play area and swimming in the lake. They brought their bikes and razor scooters and enjoyed the freedom of riding them around our area. The bathrooms were in a word, HORRIBLE - yuk! I am spoiled by the clean KOA we have frequented this past year or so.

The Lake on the last day after a night of rain and thunderstorms
    [​IMG]

Our site
    [​IMG]

some pretty mushrooms
    [​IMG]

2. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Other than the restrooms though, we like it there. And it's not that the restrooms are in real bad shape, they just get used hard. And I ALWAYS wear shower shoes, no matter what campground we;re at. We had found too that if we could hit the shower house at an odd time, like supper time, when most people were eating, we had it all to ourselves. If we waited till 8pm or so or 8am, then there was a terrible line. I loved that the sites were so well shaded. The only drawback to sites along the lake edge is they are all pet sites, for the non pet owners, this may present a problem. We will definitely go back. We had a great time here.

3. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

Dang.. this seems like it would be a good place to go camping... other than the bathrooms of course...I love the fact that the lakeside sites are pet friendly.. you NEVER see that. Unfortunately I am in SW PA and this is a 5+ hour drive :0(

4. theonlytina

theonlytina Member

We have camped there 3 times with our pop up, teens + 2 golden. We really like it. Bathrooms okay. Some sites better than others. Great path that runs around lake. Perfect for kids on bikes, walking...boat rentals, swimming area, easy hikes, good cap store. Highly recommend.

rich2 likes this.